Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID Please: RA but not RA!

Muerrisch

A friend asked my advice: relative no records preserved, known association with RA, known to have been at Woolwich c. 1918.

Foto says to me: mounted duties, not economy jacket, 2 overseas chevrons so post-Jan 1918, one GC badge so at least two year's service.

Cap badge v. difficult. Not at all like, RA, not much like Remount Service or AVC, a bit like ASC .........

any ideas please?

Foto to follow when I have shrinkled it!

Not a deal-breaker, but the buttons veer me away from LRB.

ASC? It's distorted, but that's where my money would lie.

As an aside, not come across that dealer before, and they charge like an angry rhino!

And the cap badge is post great war and therefore neither rare nor particularly historic.

I too think that he is ASC, albeit sans bandolier.

Many thanks all: looks as if you are correct: Driver John Frederick Rudge ASC and Labour Corps, 1915 star, BWM VM ........ does not quite fit the overseas chevrons wall to wall, so he might have had a year or two at Home.

No other record fits half as well.

Will report back as and when.

Whoa there!

Major puzzle!

MiC shows theatre 2B = Gallipoli entered theatre 14 3 15 ........ WHAT! Over a month before the landings?

Will some grown up please have a look for me?

Note on MiC says '1915 Star issued in error'.

Perhaps date recognised as incorrect but not amended.

Tim

Note on MiC says '1915 Star issued in error'.

Perhaps date recognised as incorrect but not amended.

Tim

Not how I read it ..... RETURNED in error, the

REISSUED

• Admin

Grumpy

That is likely to be his embarkation date when he left Blighty. I've heard that for the longer sea cruises, some enthusiastic clerks entered embarkation dates to get the man off hte strength and make some othe Records Office responsible for him. Being ASC he would have gone ahead fo the main body anyway to set up bases etc on Mudros and Imbros.I'll send you some pages on ASC embarkation dates.

The Labour Corps number seems to have been assigned between Sept and Dec 1918.

Glen

Not how I read it ..... RETURNED in error, the

REISSUED

Umm - something has to be wrong about the date here. 1914-15 Star (per Army Orders) was only issued to Balkan Theatre as follows:

2.(a) Greek Macedonia, Serbia and Bulgaria from 5 October 1915.

( B) Gallipoli and Islands of the Aegean from 25.April 1915.

Can't see it being anything other than an error on the medal card that was possibly replicated on the medal.

Tim

One of those damned emoicons or, whatever they're called, keeps cropping up where it should read (2)b. Can't get rid of it and don't like it !

Medal not held by granddaughter I regret to say.

Not made my point clearly enough I'm afraid. Reason for reissue, I'm suggesting, is that date on first issue was incorrect as is that on the medal card.

Tim

• Admin

Forget my comment on embarkation/disembarkation dates - I was told porkies.

Here is the medal roll for his Star and BWM/VM. A couple of others qualified with a 14.3.15 date for a 2b theatre. Perhaps the 25th April date was to eliminate the naval forces in March etc. while Army support units like ASC, Signals who stayed in theatre after April qualified despite landing earlier?

Glen

post-32914-0-57388400-1354056124_thumb.j

post-32914-0-97135200-1354056154_thumb.j

Herewith part of email received yesterday, it says it all. Don't let it go to your heads!

Hello David,

How AMAZING.........................I was so interested in the conversations, comments from these people who know so much about the Great War. Had a long chat with Mum to try and ‘glean’ further info. She said he suffered from an symptoms of the Ague? after the war. Sweating and flu like, quite poorly. He had bouts of this problem all his life and told her it was from the places he had served in the war. Would Gallipoli have been ‘mosquito’ country?

I am SO IMPRESSED with the people you speak to aren’t you all so knowledgeable!