Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital blues

Susan Tall

(if you were super rich when your suit got dirty you gave it to the undergardener and got a new one from your tailor) Most men had to rely on wives, mothers, big sisters etc for this.
Maybe that's what New Money or Foreign Johnnies would do. A real gentleman's clothes would last for at least a couple of generations. A well-dressed gentleman's clothes should never look new, even if they are.

Rather than giving old suits to a servant, it was more likely that a new one would be passed to a valet to wear for a few months first, to get that desirable used look.

Could they be wearing suites for Discharged Soldiers?

I know nothing about these suites except that they came with Jacket, Trousers and Waistcoat and I believe that IIRC they came in different colours--like Blue and Brown.

Joe Sweeney

PS Frogsmile--I like your photo showing the two Scots soldiers in the back wearing SD caps. SR and Gordon's I believe.

I think they are just the more uncommon type of hospital blues in WW1 with the curved front edge, rather than demob suits Joe.

Yes I have seen a few pictures of Scots soldiers in SD caps. It seems that they were admitted without their ToS bonnets (probably because they were wounded wearing helmets and their other kit, incl bonnets, was still in company echelon) and the hospital QM did not have other than SD caps for them to wear.

The common WW2 pattern of Hospital Blues has the heavily curved corners and the lower patch pockets, as opposed to the common WW1 pattern (with the distinctive white lining that contrasts on the turn-ups and lapels), eg:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337d7442ec

But this pattern is also less commonly seen in WW1, as in this picture below, where it is being worn alongside the more common pattern:

http://postimage.org/image/lju4mpx6b/

Hospital_Blues_WW2_style_jacket_in_WW1.jpg

I think the chaps in the original photo are just fairly uniformly wearing the less commonly encountered pattern of Hospital Blues.

Yes I agree Andrew and mentioned that in my post #15.

It's a really interesting photo but I don't think it's locally made Hospital Blue. The blue colour usually had little variation but many were grey and there was certainly quite a variation of shades of grey.

I have a few original pieces and have pored over plenty of photos looking for reference and the one thing I have noticed is that no matter if they have the original white-faced stand collars, or the suit style collar, or even the unusual 'Convalescent Coats' shown below (excluding the Doctors coat on the right), all of them seem to be straight cut at the bottom and don't have rounded lower edges. Feel free to dig out lots of photos proving me wrong but, even in the photos shown in this thread, those which are Hospital Blues beyond dispute are all cut straight across the bottoms and don't have curved front edges.

As Hospital uniforms were always returned to be reused I can't see any reason why any would be tailored.

My money is on civvie suits. Maybe it was the escape committee...

Chief Chum the curved front type (and sans white lining) was less common in WW1, but is still seen in many photos. Indeed the man standing, extreme right in your photo, clearly has the curved front.

Great to see you all debating whether they are hospital blues or not. I'm now wondering about the pockets as I read somewhere that hospital blues didn't have any.

On the type with curved front I think the pockets were perhaps on the inside of the skirt Sue (although that would make access difficult for a disabled man!) and if you look at your OP and also Andrew's NZ soldier you can clearly see the bulge created either by their contents or the pocket bag itself. Alternatively perhaps the pockets are inset and so not easily visible, it is difficult to be sure.

"Indeed the man standing, extreme right in your photo, clearly has the curved front."

I appreciate its not clear as the picture is so small but, if you look closely, you will see that he is an Officer with a khaki shirt and tie and, as Officers didn't wear Hospital Blue and didn't share their recuperation with lowly ORs, he is more likely to be a Doctor in hospital workwear...

"Indeed the man standing, extreme right in your photo, clearly has the curved front."

I appreciate its not clear as the picture is so small but, if you look closely, you will see that he is an Officer with a khaki shirt and tie and, as Officers didn't wear Hospital Blue and didn't share their recuperation with lowly ORs, he is more likely to be a Doctor in hospital workwear...

It is difficult to discern as you say. He also seems to have light coloured buttons which is decidedly odd. Most doctors I have seen in photos, even at that period, seemed to wear long coats when operating in a surgical environment, but I guess we will never know.

Joe - do you have any RACD notes about different styles of Hospital uniform? I think the white-faced style was Victorian but I would be interested to know more about the Convalescent Coats.

Taff,

I probably do. I've never looked up Hospital Blues before.

I have a long holiday weekend coming up so I'll have a look and hopefully if I find something it will have desciptive language..

Joe Sweeney

When looking at the OP my first thought was that no obvious injury was visible. When looking at the faces I can see issues around the eyes of the first two on the left and the first right. This reminded me of a photo I have of an Eye Hospital (or a hospital with a pre-domination of eye injuries), a detail from which I post here.

Jackets and waistcoats are as those in the OP and I wonder if they are a blue specific to either eye injuries or more generally to those without torso or limb injuries. They seem more tailored - tighter fitting - and this would seem appropriate to those not needing a looser garment for ease of access etc.

As can be seen from insignia they are not an officer issue.

I've no doubt Frogsmile is correct.

Tim

post-53823-0-77517300-1353425464_thumb.j

Whilst the experts are gathered -- would anyone care to offer an opinion on this set I have had for ages.

Unlined, mix of buttons - many pressed metal some (for braces) look like bakelite or some other compound.

No dates or labels or any sign of them (couple of WD stamps as shown). Relatively thick serge. Shirt and Tie are modern. If additional pictures would be helpful I can proovide them these were just what I had on file.

post-14525-0-80420600-1353426375_thumb.j

post-14525-0-24373400-1353426376_thumb.j

post-14525-0-68935500-1353426376_thumb.j

post-14525-0-02609900-1353426377_thumb.j

post-14525-0-35945000-1353426377_thumb.j

Chris

When looking at the OP my first thought was that no obvious injury was visible. When looking at the faces I can see issues around the eyes of the first two on the left and the first right. This reminded me of a photo I have of an Eye Hospital (or a hospital with a pre-domination of eye injuries), a detail from which I post here.

Jackets and waistcoats are as those in the OP and I wonder if they are a blue specific to either eye injuries or more generally to those without torso or limb injuries. They seem more tailored - tighter fitting - and this would seem appropriate to those not needing a looser garment for ease of access etc.

As can be seen from insignia they are not an officer issue.

I've no doubt Frogsmile is correct.

Tim

How interesting Tim, not a mixed pattern among them and having an eye affliction, of any kind, would perhaps explain why head dress is not worn too. This gets curiouser and curiouser. I do hope that Joe has some relevant data in his records.

• 10 years later...

A more recent 2021 YouTube video from Great War Huts that should be of interest.

All worth watching but c. 7 mins on for New Pattern jackets and waistcoats

M

Edited by Matlock1418