Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lighthorsemen

Wienand Drenth

Hi

The WWI trio of medals awarded to Lieutenant J. Parkin, who let C Squadron of the 4th Light Horse in the charge at Beersheba are being auctioned on Thursday 27th July in Melbourne, Australia by Noble Numismatics.

Duncan

Hi

The WWI trio of medals awarded to Lieutenant J. Parkin, who let C Squadron of the 4th Light Horse in the charge at Beersheba are being auctioned on Thursday 27th July in Melbourne, Australia by Noble Numismatics.

Duncan

I'd like to be able to bid on those Duncan - out of my league, though, I'm afraid! :(

The estimate is AU$5,000 (£2,053), and I don't think they'll have a problem making at least that. Here's the Parkin group:

lighthorsemedals.jpg

Ciao,

GAC

For those of a interest.

The last charge by "empire" troops was in march 1942 in Burma.

Capt "sandy" Sandeman late of the central india horse came across a japanese column.

Compleate with trumpeter blowing the charge he lead his men of the burma fontier force against the japanese machine guns...

He is buried in Burma...

the russian's and germans used over 6 million horses on the eastern front,and cossacks where to be seen rideing in the streets of berlin in 1945..

As for Montbrehain's input ( thank you ..Mr Anzac himself, mo...) yes some of us are trying to put together a trip (including useing horses) next year.all things resting on those loverly people the I.D.F. and the" still's"

Watch this space

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

On the use of bayonets by the Lighthorse at Beersheeba, this topic is nicely addressed in the appropriate volume of "A History of the British Cavalry". The proposed use of sabers by the Lighthorse was actually quite a topic of conversation in the Australian and British forces in the region at the time, with the general view being it would be inappropriate, as they had not been trained on how to use it. However, in at least one subsequent engagement, they actually were issued sabers.

On the supposed Polish charge of German armor with lances, that is a myth. About the closet thing to it was that there was an instance in which Polish cavalry charged across, but not at, German armor as they happened to be caught on the battlefield at the same time. But that's quite a bit different.

Quite a bit of our view of WWII, including the German use of armor, is still heavily influenced by German propoganda which sought to portray the German army as all mechanized, and very advanced. The Germans actually used more horses in WWII than in WWI, and was the least mechanized army in Europe in the 43 to 45 time frame. The Germans themselves still used cavalry in WWII, except for a period of time in late 41 and early 42.

I remember watching the early stages of WW2 on a programme called all our yesterdays and the Polish Army sent their Calvalry against the advancing German Pansers-----------No need to ask what happened, but there werent many aplications to join the Polish Cavalry after that.

German propaganda.

"See-stupid-Polaken-untermensch-charging-with-lances."

German propaganda also made a cinema feature with one hacking at the barrel of a tank.

No need for German propaganda for this. It was a stupid Polish film director, a brown nosed darling of the ruling communists. The movie is called "Lotna", while the director Andrzej Wajda.

Who needs enemy propaganda with friends like this ...

And the last big cavalary battle I know was the battle of Komorowo, during the Polish-Bolshevik war in 1920. On 30-31st August. Buddiony's Cavalry Army had his butt kicked all over the place.

Sadly, there are very few English materials on this war.

Borys

And the last big cavalary battle I know was the battle of Komorowo, during the Polish-Bolshevik war in 1920. On 30-31st August. Buddiony's Cavalry Army had his butt kicked all over the place.

Sadly, there are very few English materials on this war.

Borys

It's not the last use of cavalry on the battlefield, but it is one of the greatest examples of a cavalry v cavalry battle of all time. The number of cavalrymen involved on both sides makes it a very unusual 20th Century battle.

• 10 years later...

See

IMDB

for comments on "The Lighthorsemen", a reasonable copy of which can be found on Youtube. (There may be several offerings, the quality of which can vary.)

I had hoped that the 1940 version "40,000 Horsemen" might also be available on Youtube, but I can find only the trailer and a few clips. Again,

see IMDB

Moonraker

After a night's sleep (I can't say that it was good - it was punctuated by thunder and lightning), I used some lateral thinking and Googled, finding a screening of "40,000 Horsemen" on

DailyMotion

Edited by Moonraker
afterthought

Just watched "40,000 Horsemen", courtesy of DailyMotion. As some of the IMDB comments suggest, it did creak a bit, and it looked more of a 1930 production than a 1940 one. There was an annoying romance between the Australian hero and a French girl who at one stage dresses up unconvincingly as an Arab boy to mingle with Turkish soldiers.

The eventual attack on Beersheba was well filmed.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

Mate,

Yes a poor movie but one for the times it was made.

What I found confusing was the men were surpose to be in the 5 LHR (during the fighting at Gaza) but also at Beersheba where the 5th LHR didn't do much but watch the north eastern flank for Turkish reinforcements.

None of the three Regts took part in the 1st Gaza battle, while the 11 LHR did do some work in Sinai around Romani with Smith's Column in 1916, the 4 & 12 LHR's did not see any action till 2nd Gaza, then only the 11 & 12 LHR's not the 4 LHR.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

• 6 years later...
On 15/09/2016 at 20:54, Moonraker said:

... I had hoped that the 1940 version "40,000 Horsemen" might also be available on Youtube, but I can find only the trailer and a few clips. Again,
I used some lateral thinking and Googled, finding a screening of "40,000 Horsemen" on

DailyMotion

Just found it on YouTube. 

Actually YouTube's algorithms suggested it to me, after I'd watched another Australian WWI film. As when I watched it in 2016, I found the romance irritating (and the hero's escape implausible); excellent attack sequence towards the end.

8 hours ago, Moonraker said:

I found the romance irritating (and the hero's escape implausible);

I suppose this is mainly due to the picture being made during the war being a 'propaganda picture' like Sergeant York?