Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Linesman purchasing advice please

Beselare

I have decided I need to bite the bullet on purchasing Linesman. I have viewed their website and whilst informative, it does not really give me the information I am looking for.

Could any current owner of Linesman please advise me what to purchase. All I need have is the split screen facility (trench map to modern map) of Belgium, northern France and the Somme.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob

Bob,

You need the "Linesman 10 Premium DVD set" (£299.99). Its on their site here:

http://www.greatwardigital.com/purchase.html

It will give you the modern aerial photos and maps of Belgium and France and 750 1:10,000 trench maps. If you want 1:20,000 maps as wellyou would need to buy the Linesman 20 DVD in addition (£99.95).

Best regards

Iain

Hi Iain

Thanks very much for the information. I am looking forward to saving myself hours of research time.

Best Regards

Bob

Bob,

You need the "Linesman 10 Premium DVD set" (£299.99). Its on their site here:

http://www.greatward...m/purchase.html

It will give you the modern aerial photos and maps of Belgium and France and 750 1:10,000 trench maps. If you want 1:20,000 maps as wellyou would need to buy the Linesman 20 DVD in addition (£99.95).

Best regards

Iain

This is helpful info for me too Iain.

I'm in the 'appraisal' mode and leaning towards Linesman.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

If you go for Linesman you will not regret your choice. I have gone foir the whole package including Adventurer 3500 and having used it in the field several times I am 100 % happy.

Regards

TT

Am I mistaken in thinking that you can't search by trench name like you can on the N and M press DVD?

Roger

You certainly can't do that on Linesman or the WFA maps, and the key book, "Rat's Alley" is out of print and scarcer than hen's teeth. I'm hoping the centenary will bring a reprint.

Keith

You certainly can't do that on Linesman or the WFA maps, and the key book, "Rat's Alley" is out of print and scarcer than hen's teeth. I'm hoping the centenary will bring a reprint.

Keith

Although you can't search by Trench names in either Linesman or the WFA maps I assume the relevant names are on the maps?

The maps are direct copies, just as they all use. Trench names appear wherever they were included in the original print. I couldn't say whether there are examples with additional notations.

Keith

So I take it that N and M press DVD has an index to trench names in the original maps whereas Linesman or the WFA maps do not.

WHSmith are selling Rats Alley -

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/Rats-Alley-British-Trench-Names-of-the-Western-Front19141918+Hardback+9781862272767

So the WFA CD's and Rats Alley might be a good place to start?

Apologies to Bob I will stop trying to hijack your topic now!

John

Just try ordering Rat's Alley from them. Some companies don't seem to take account of what is available, or perhaps the publishers don't communicate the availability of the stock. (If it works - tell us, and they will get lots of business).

Keith hoping to be wrong.

EDIT it isn't listed as current on the publisher's website, and has not been for a long time. A copy of Rat's Alley would be a really helpful companion to the other sources. I suspect that the information in the search tool on the N&M disk is very much related as the author is the same.

I gave my copy to a friend of mine in Belgium. When I returned home and tried to get another copy, on Abe Books they were going for between £40- 60. I contacted the publisher and they said that they will not be doing a reprint, I got caught out once ordering online, they took my money then went out of business never again!

John

Just try ordering Rat's Alley from them.

Tried but they won't accept an address in Ireland. Anyway you are without a doubt correct that they don't have stock and after going through the entire ordering process you will be told so.

I didn't think my question would produce such an interesting thread. I am waiting for my Linesman package to be delivered, but I noticed from their demonstration video, that finding the correct trench maps means delving into a list and keep trying until you find what you need. I also have the N&MP CD and having been using it for several years. It is extremely useful and very easy to find the trench map you are looking for. All I need to do then is to instantly identify the one I want on Linesman and then produce a modern map using the split-screen function (or at least that's what I am looking forward to trying to do).

Bob

• 7 months later...

If you go for Linesman you will not regret your choice. I have gone for the whole package including Adventurer 3500 and having used it in the field several times I am 100 % happy.

Regards

TT

I too ordered the whole shebang. The box arrived today and I'm unwrapping it as I type. Tom.

I bought linesman over a year ago and put it onto my laptop and I-pad. I have never got it to work for anything other than displaying the maps on the screen. It is no better for me than any random collection of map .jpgs.

Very disappointed.

I bought linesman over a year ago and put it onto my laptop and I-pad. I have never got it to work for anything other than displaying the maps on the screen. It is no better for me than any random collection of map .jpgs.

Very disappointed.

I don't know what your doing wrong Ken, but believe me........in my opinion "Linesman" has been the greatest gift to battlefield browsers/walkers/historians in the mapping arena for years!!!!

Just look back on the number of topics on the forum that contain maps/overlays etc,etc from the "linesman" package to see what it's capable of......as far as I'm concerned ( and I'm a Scot by birth ), its amongst the best value for money I've ever spent..!!!!

Best regards

Tom

I don't know what your doing wrong Ken, but believe me........in my opinion "Linesman" has been the greatest gift to battlefield browsers/walkers/historians in the mapping arena for years!!!!

Just look back on the number of topics on the forum that contain maps/overlays etc,etc from the "linesman" package to see what it's capable of......as far as I'm concerned ( and I'm a Scot by birth ), its amongst the best value for money I've ever spent..!!!!

Best regards

Tom

Ken,

I have just installed my copy.

Tech Support (name withheld for privacy) suggested that I install Linesman 20 first as it has the latest version of the software (v5.4.2).

You could check Help->About to see if you have the latest version, otherwise Web->Check for Updates.

This will let you know if you have the latest version and give you the option to download and install v5.4.2.

Tom,

I've just started to 'play' and things are very, very impressive.

I'm planning to visit my grandfather's grave in Apr next year so I've got 9 months to 'get up to speed'.

Kindest Regards to you both,

Tom Lang.

Hi Tom, enjoy your new purchase mate, and when you visit your grandfathers grave next year, have your Linesman maps on a tablet that has GPS and it opens up a whole new world on the battlefields.

And if you are able to get the war diary of the 14th Batt HLI, you really can "walk in your grandfathers footsteps" using the Linesman GPS mapping software...

best regards

Tom

Best regards

Tom

I know what you mean, Tom. I am on the battlefields every day and Linesman would add significantly to my experiences and those of the people I am with, but I have tried and tried to make it work for something other than simply looking at a map on a screen and I have got absolutely nowhere.

Tried but they won't accept an address in Ireland. Anyway you are without a doubt correct that they don't have stock and after going through the entire ordering process you will be told so.

Well, I've just ordered it from WHS and it all went through. I have an order number and a message saying all is 'confirmed' that's just come through to my mobile. I sincerely hope that I won't soon be getting a 'we are very sorry' email.....

Ken,

Did you purchase the whole package, including the modern IGN (modern France) and NGI (modern Belgium) maps? From your description it sounds as though you only have Linesman 10.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hi Tom, enjoy your new purchase mate, and when you visit your grandfathers grave next year, have your Linesman maps on a tablet that has GPS and it opens up a whole new world on the battlefields.

And if you are able to get the war diary of the 14th Batt HLI, you really can "walk in your grandfathers footsteps" using the Linesman GPS mapping software...

best regards

Tom

Thanks Tom.

There's another thread discussing the use of tablets (... whether a 7" or a 10"...). This certainly has my attention.

I've got 9 months to learn Linesman and I'm sure the tablet manufacturers will have their new gizmos on the market by then.

There's a new ASUS 7" (and with some 'lable-engineering' you can also call it a Google tablet) about to come on the market with some new extra features.

http://www.geek.com/android/asus-leak-confirms-7-inch-android-4-3-tablet-this-month-1561012/

So before I get to France I'll be better acquainted with the hardware and software.

I've got the Adventurer SE 3500 but haven't switched it on yet.

I have a 'text' version of the 14th HLI War Diary.

The 14th HLI Diary is not yet downloadable from the TNA.

Their website shows that they have completed their phase of digitizing the remaining Diaries, but they have not yet loaded up their results to the TNA website.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a copy before April next year.

I also have the 'text' version of the April 1917 War Diary of the 13th East Surrey Regt.

They were also part of 120th Bde.

On the day my grandfather was killed, the 13th East Surrey's were in the front line and the 14th HLI were in support of the attack on the village of Villers-Plouich.

The 13th East Surrey Diary has an Appendix describing their operations that day and has a hand-drawn map which is an excellent resource too.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Ken,

Did you purchase the whole package, including the modern IGN (modern France) and NGI (modern Belgium) maps? From your description it sounds as though you only have Linesman 10.

Cheers,

Hendo

This could be the reason for the 'problems' you are having Ken.

You'll need the modern maps and the military maps.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Sorry to revert back to the sub-plot in this thread, but if anyone's following that I just got the 'we are very sorry' email......