Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Linesman purchasing advice please

Beselare

Sorry to revert back to the sub-plot in this thread, but if anyone's following that I just got the 'we are very sorry' email......

Pity. I was going to try again. There is a copy on AbeBooks if you have £240 to spare!

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=Chasseaud&bt.x=0&bt.y=0&sts=t&tn=rats+alley

John

Thanks Tom.

There's another thread discussing the use of tablets (... whether a 7" or a 10"...). This certainly has my attention.

I've got 9 months to learn Linesman and I'm sure the tablet manufacturers will have their new gizmos on the market by then.

There's a new ASUS 7" (and with some 'lable-engineering' you can also call it a Google tablet) about to come on the market with some new extra features.

http://www.geek.com/...-month-1561012/

So before I get to France I'll be better acquainted with the hardware and software.

I've got the Adventurer SE 3500 but haven't switched it on yet.

I have a 'text' version of the 14th HLI War Diary.

The 14th HLI Diary is not yet downloadable from the TNA.

Their website shows that they have completed their phase of digitizing the remaining Diaries, but they have not yet loaded up their results to the TNA website.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a copy before April next year.

I also have the 'text' version of the April 1917 War Diary of the 13th East Surrey Regt.

They were also part of 120th Bde.

On the day my grandfather was killed, the 13th East Surrey's were in the front line and the 14th HLI were in support of the attack on the village of Villers-Plouich.

The 13th East Surrey Diary has an Appendix describing their operations that day and has a hand-drawn map which is an excellent resource too.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Ok Tom, re:tablets.... a 7" slips in the pocket no problem, make sure its sturdy (mine has an aluminium case), and that you can fit an sd card in it......so much more memory...

regards

Tom

Ok Tom, re:tablets.... a 7" slips in the pocket no problem, make sure its sturdy (mine has an aluminium case), and that you can fit an sd card in it......so much more memory...

regards

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Your advice and experience is properly noted.

I think the new ASUS 7" (once it is released) is worth my close investigation.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

If the next Asus 7 is delayed or too expensive, be assured the version currently on sale (32Gb with or without 3G) handles Linesman beautifully.

If the next Asus 7 is delayed or too expensive, be assured the version currently on sale (32Gb with or without 3G) handles Linesman beautifully.

Thanks Chris.

I noted your earlier post too.

I'm in Dallas, Texas, so from the 'rumours' I should be able to get the new one at $ prices equal to the old one.

I'm planning a visit to my grandfather's grave in April next year, so I also have the option of waiting to see what else appears on the technology horizon by then.

Even if I buy now, it's the old story with technology - it's already 'out-of-date'.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

I bought linesman over a year ago and put it onto my laptop and I-pad. I have never got it to work for anything other than displaying the maps on the screen. It is no better for me than any random collection of map .jpgs.

Very disappointed.

I know this may be obvious so please don't shoot the messenger , but is the equipment you are using GPS enabled ?

The i-pad certainly is.

I'd definitely get in touch with them to get it sorted , they are really helpful. I'm an absolute novice with it and of the "where am I " level. You're missing so much..............

The i-pad certainly is.

Ken,

Not entirely true, the entry level iPads are WiFi only and not "cellular" capable and don't have the GPS/GLONASS chip inserted. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/. This could be the other reason why you have had trouble with Linesman in the field.

Cheers,

Hendo

Ken,

Not entirely true, the entry level iPads are WiFi only and not "cellular" capable and don't have the GPS/GLONASS chip inserted. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/. This could be the other reason why you have had trouble with Linesman in the field.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hello Ken and Hendo,

I agree with Hendo, you must have GPS capability.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Question , I am not good with Technology ( although I work in the Industry!)

I have an iPhone with I believe gps, if I wanted to use this to find original trench systems on The Somme, what exactly do I need to buy?

Thanks

tony

Tony, if in any doubt about what the compatability of the iphone is to "linesman", the first thing I would be would be to contact Guy Smith with a pm here's his member info .........

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showuser=12226

Nothing like going to the guy (excuse the pun), who developed the software...

and maybe there's something on the Memory map forum here that could help you........

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/supportforum/viewforum.php?f=54

regards

Tom

Cheers Tom,

Tony

Question , I am not good with Technology ( although I work in the Industry!)

I have an iPhone with I believe gps, if I wanted to use this to find original trench systems on The Somme, what exactly do I need to buy?

Thanks

tony

tony,

iPhone 4 and 5 both have gps fitted. Therefore the first thing needed is the MemoryMap app from iTunes and then load Linesman and the IGN Nord Maps. However, you would be much better purchasing a tablet PC with GPS line the iPad or Asus that others use as the maps will be more easily read.

Cheers,

Hendo

Cheers Hendro may stick to good old maps for now and save up!

Tony