Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield tour advice needed

stu

Hi,

I think that I am the classic Leger tour person that Paul Reed speaks about.

After meeting Paul unexpectedly on a flight to Istanbul, the following summer of 2000 I went on a Western Front tour with Leger. And then again during the summer of 2001.

Both of the tours were excellent, very informative and good value for money. Andy's one on one tour with Tom is the perfect solution, a tour guide in your hands! But I was still able to ask loads of questions as part of a large group. Both of the hotels that we stayed in were central, which were great for going out drinking and eating in the evenings and then staggering back!

Since 2001 we have taken our own tours with 'Before Endeavours Fade, and various Holts guides which is great. We can spend as much time as we would like at a cemetery especially if there is a solider I have researched or have read about there.

But I will be back with Leger again hopefully, as I keep threatening Paul that I will do a 'Walking the Somme', with him. Fingers crossed for next summer, circumstances permitting!

Alie.

Hi Pals,

I though I would give my opinion of the Leger battlefield tours. it was 3 years ago and our first such trip. My father Uncle and I flew from Ireland to Tournai for the 4 day tour, We arrived and our Guide Vic Piuk was at the hotel before the coach from the Uk arrivedi It was a 4 day tour and my god did we see a lot. Yet it was not exhausting thanks to the magnificant commentary from Vic Piuk, his klnowledge was astounding and his clear emotional respect for these fallen men made me relise the importance of the man ont he ground instead of the overall battle strategy and the general. Very moving in deed. Our drivers were great fun and very very interested in the subject, no request was refused never a bad word spoken (except for when I slept in after to much Stella Artois). Once our tour finished at the Theipval Memorial, Vic Gave a quick speech and then the drivers thanked him and spoke themselves. Hot drinks were available when ever wanted byt the second driver. I superb experiance and all three fo us wrote to Leger Tours after with only the highest praise. my uncle even wrote to the Irish Times Newspaper on the subject.

We ahve also done the "Beaches of Normandy Tour with leger and exactly the same experiance and service was provided. Keep up the hard work Leger and while they have Guides of the calibare of Paul Reed and Vic Piuk on thier books Legers reputation will be in good hands.

many thanks for reading this and but I just wanted to let forum members know of my experiance with this great tour company. (even though we know travel under our own steam but this was made possible thanks to Leger.)

Keep up the good work

Ross Glennon

I have to say that I have never been on a Leger tour as I have my own personal favourite company I like to tour with, not because anyone else is worse but because after a while you get to know all the regulars and its very nice to travel with a group of friends you already know quite well from previous trips.

But as the son of a Leger driver I would have to recommend them :D

My father has driven for Paul several times and has always enjoyed the experience.

Oh and many thanks for the Mons stuff you sent back with him for me from your last trip Paul.

Have to agree with the comments made about Vic Piuk. I have been on one Leger tour and Vic was the guide. He was excellent, his knowledge and enthusiam for the area and the War really shone through. As a novice to such tours he really made it a memorable experience for us.