Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Village memorials

Guest dinamo

Jas

While you are undoubtedly correct re legal resposibilities etc. the Memorial I referred to is looked after by the Legion who also attend to the laying of wreaths on Remembrance Sunday. In, the nearest town it was proposed by the Local Authority some time ago to discontinue its association with Remembrance Day. I don't know whether this became Council policy or not but while the Ceremony is still carried out Local Authority participation is minimal. However, don't think that this Authority is moronic or heartless it is just that their priorities are maybe different to others. Instead of extending the present Memorial of 14/18 vintage to cater for 39/45 victims they erected a row of houses for disabled ex-servicemen.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

The RBLS, through local branches, do ensure that wreaths are laid on all War Memorials at Armistice time. My last response was badly worded (now changed). It should have made clear that it was the local authority's (or owner if not them) policy on adding names which would apply.

Local Authorities have specific obligations under The War Memorial's Act 1923 as amended to include Scotland in 1948 and 1973. Getting them to do anything in the usual " no spare money" climate is difficult.

I have discovered much in this particular field due to a much publicised controversy involving TRBLS recently. I do not intend to provide the details here, but you can E-mail me direct if you want further info.