Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arisaka Bayonets

auchonvillerssomme

Dammit Man - buy it already.!! :w00t: Then we will have plenty of time for discussion afterwards when you post up the pictures. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

I think (hope!) he did buy it - that is what I understood by "picked it up today"

I would not touch it aside from giving it a light wipe over with machine / gun oil

I would spray the button/latch mechanism with penetrating oil (keep it off the wood) and let it sit for a while and see if you can free it up. If it doesn't you can investigate more drastic measures (such as a padded vice).

Pictures really would be useful

Chris

OK sorry - I was getting a little excited there. If you got it for $35 and it's a genuine P1913 hookie then you just won the lotto ... err, on a smaller scale.!

These things sell for well in excess of P1907 hookies due to their rarity, so you have done very well indeed. Please try to get some pictures up ASAP. :thumbsup:

To free up the locking catch you need to stand the end of the pommel in some penetrating type oil, or just use diesel fuel if available. It needs to soak in.

Then you put it in a well padded vice (or craft handclamp) and slowly squeeze the bolt in to get it moving. Then keep applying lubricating oil to free it up.

Cheers, S>S

Thanks guys for the advice and opinions, I have never posted images, don't even own a camera, just a celphone and I don't think that would be of much use. However I will try to see what I can do.

khaki

Cell phone images will work so long as they are in focus. Good light a must and don't try and get too close - if you would like me to post them I am happy to. email the pics to me.

SS was right -- if this is genuine than you have done very very well.

Thank you for the offer, have tried taking some snap's, but so far not to the quality where you can see much detail, will keep trying.

khaki

Do you happen to have access to a scanner.? As really you only need to get an image of both sides ricasso markings to allow a comparison to be made.

If you just slide it onto the scanner you can sometimes come up with perfectly good images. (My avatar photo is a scanner shot that was done in a hurry.!)

Of course you will then have to resize the scan file and email it to Chris so he can post it. How about you just send me the bayonet and I can check for you. :ph34r:

Cheers, S>S

Hello. no I don't have acsess to a scanner, I have since managed two shots of the ricasso, but am having trouble reducing the image to a size that will allow me to post it. I am expecting my son to help with that. In the meantime I will try soaking it in penetrating oil etc.

What is the survival rate for these blades??

khaki

While the image is not the best, I have manipulated the photo as much as I can. The details are not clear but the basics all look good for a P1913 hookie.

It has the high muzzle ring of the P1913, and the Enfield style fuller and runout so certainly made by Enfield, and the shape of the hook does look correct.

And the markings on the other ricasso as described do sound right for the Enfield P'13 trials bayonet. Are there any other markings found on the pommel.?

Cheers, S>S

Hello S>S,

Nothing that I have seen, however I have not had a chance to devote any time to cleaning and a detailed examination, will do so as time allows and let you know. A cursory look has not shown any markings other than already noted. If it is a 'trial' weapon I wouldn't have thought that it would show anything regimental.

khaki

No nothing like regimental markings ... however the original Enfield trial bayonets were all serial numbered, so that is critically important for verification.

You may need to get some oil and a rag onto some of the metalwork and give it a light rub to remove a little of the accumulated crud from the pommel.

Cheers, S>S

I applied some oil and a brush, the pommel like many others has suffered from neglect, however looking at the pommel from the butt end it appears there is some numbers that are tiny, the first might be an 8. The trouble is the metal surface has bubbled and even in differing lights is almost impossible to read. I think that I am going to have to consign it to the (shed wall nail) as a long term project until I can think it through. I am loathe to be too aggresive in cleaning and do more harm than good. If this was a standard smle bayonet I would have no hesitation in trying to improve it's appearance, I was unaware of the possibility of a serial number prior to this and lack of knowledge could have erased what is left or concealed by age.

khaki