Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

5th (Royal Irish) Lancers

Ian C

Hi

At quite short notice I will be running a stand at a genealogy show in Dublin for the WFA over the weekend 12,13 & 14 October. I want to put up info sheets etc with an Irish flavour and thought one way to do this is to put up info on an Irish soldier who died on the date in question in 1914. I can do the genealogy bit but need help with what their regiments were doing, so can anyone tell me what the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers were doing on 13/10/1914.

Sorry its a bit long winded!!

Regards

IanC

Ian, not sure if this helps, but the History of the 4th Hussars (who, along with the 16th lancers, were in the 3rd Cavalry Brigade) has a bit.

On 12th October the Brigade was in the area of the Mons des Cats; overnight, the 5th and the 16th were on the Mont des Cats. At 10.15 a.m. on the 13th the Brigade advanced east, the 5th being held up at Hill 68, the enemy being in some farms to the south east of the hill. The 5th and B Squasdron of the 4th attacked these positions, linking with the 1st Cavalry Brigade (and getting mixed up with The Bays). The Germans launched a counter-attack, which drove in the Bays and the Squadron (B) of the 4th, but seems not to have affected the 5th.

I've had a quick look in the 11th Hussars' history (1st Cavalry Brigade), but no mention of the 5th Lancers there, I'm afraid.

Hope this is of some help.

Hi Steven

Thanks for that, it does sort of confirm the little that I have been able to find i.e. that they were involved around the area of Mont des Cats

Regards

IanC

The 5th Lancers did indeed attack the Mont des Cats and drove the Germans off of there. They sheltered in the monastery overnight there, where they tended to the wounded. Among them was a German Prince Maximilian Friedrich Wilhelm Georg von Hesse who was related to the German Emperor William II. There is a complete account of the 5th Lancer's actions around the Mont des Cats during this time in my book listed below..

Happy Birthday, Ciaran.

Thanks very much Steven - 43 years young! I don't feel a day over 42 ! :unsure:

You might like to see this - Pte Alleeson was in Gravesend Hospital when he drew his badge in a Nurse's album, alongside a couple of cartoons.

post-10-0-92956300-1349709685_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest redrobbo48@yahoo.co.uk

I am trying to find out more about my grandfather Wiliam Robinson who was a private in D Squadron Fifth Royal Irish Lancers, service number 1248. He was from Leeds and I think he joined up in 1914. He was certainly in the regiment in September 1915 when he was married in Leeds. I've drawn a blank with searches in Ancestry so any other ideas on how to obtain his service record would be much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone still following this topic?

My interest is my grandafther who joined the 5th in 1906 when just 16. I suspect that this was in York .. can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Robindad

My great uncle 2128 Charles Henry George Hill MM enlisted in the 5th Lancers at York on 27 July 1909 as a Postee Private.

He then attended the Industrial School at York prior to posting to the Regiment based in Dublin.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Hi regarding your great uncle there are a few papers surviving. Mainly concerning the fact that a couple of his medals had not been received.

I have his recommendationfrom the 5th Lancers for the award of his Military Medal

2128 Corporal C.H.G. Hill (Lance Corporal at time of action.)

Recommended 28 February, 1916: ‘For continued good work and gallantry throughout the whole war especially as patrol leader in the early part, and for showing a fine example under fire in all trenches where cavalry have been employed.’

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather Lance Corporal William Samuel Altoft Johnson was wounded on 30 October 1914

The War Diary of the Regiment for 30 October 1914 states

“ Relieved the 129th Baluchis in the trenches at 6.30 a.m. C & D squadrons taking over the trenches. A Squadron looking after the led horses. At 7 a.m. the Germans started a bombardment of our position with both light and heavy pieces, which lasted until 12.15 p.m. at which hour they attacked. Owing to casualties in men and horses during the preceding six weeks, the total number of rifles available for the trenches had been reduced to 105, and during the bombardment we lost another 20, so that the power of our resistance was very small. On retiring from the trenches we went into support of the Baluchis, who were holding a second line, and at 8 p.m. we went to a farm near St Eloi for the

night. “

Can anyone pinpoint the location for me?

Robin

Robindad

My great uncle 2128 Charles Henry George Hill MM enlisted in the 5th Lancers at York on 27 July 1909 as a Postee Private.

He then attended the Industrial School at York prior to posting to the Regiment based in Dublin.

Hope this helps

Thanks - been busy lambing and nnow catching up ..

do you have his service record? My grandfather's is not available and I'd like to find out where they were before 1914.

Robin

My grandfather Lance Corporal William Samuel Altoft Johnson was wounded on 30 October 1914

The War Diary of the Regiment for 30 October 1914 states

“ Relieved the 129th Baluchis in the trenches at 6.30 a.m. C & D squadrons taking over the trenches. A Squadron looking after the led horses. At 7 a.m. the Germans started a bombardment of our position with both light and heavy pieces, which lasted until 12.15 p.m. at which hour they attacked. Owing to casualties in men and horses during the preceding six weeks, the total number of rifles available for the trenches had been reduced to 105, and during the bombardment we lost another 20, so that the power of our resistance was very small. On retiring from the trenches we went into support of the Baluchis, who were holding a second line, and at 8 p.m. we went to a farm near St Eloi for the

night. “

Can anyone pinpoint the location for me?

Robin

Gough   First Ypres

Robin, I've (hopefully) added a scan of a map from Hubert Gough's book "The Fifth Army". Gough was the divisional commander of 2nd Cavalry Division in October 1914. You can find St Eloi at the fork of the road heading south from Ypres. I trust that's useful, Mike

Thanks MIke

I've now downloaded the Regimental War Diaries from The National Archives and see that the were at Hollebeke Chateaux over night on 28/29 and 29/30. Also marked on the map.

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to contact Ciaran Byrne but getting no reply to the email address in his book nor using private message via the GWF. Has anyone had contact with him recently?

Robin

The regiment moved to York ( Fulford Cavalry Barracks not Catterick) in 1907 from Aldershot.
I'm trying to tie down exactly when ...

Looks like October .. does anyone have a specific date?

Robin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi regarding your great uncle there are a few papers surviving. Mainly concerning the fact that a couple of his medals had not been received.

I have his recommendationfrom the 5th Lancers for the award of his Military Medal

2128 Corporal C.H.G. Hill (Lance Corporal at time of action.)

Recommended 28 February, 1916: ‘For continued good work and gallantry throughout the whole war especially as patrol leader in the early part, and for showing a fine example under fire in all trenches where cavalry have been employed.’

Donald,

Thank you for this. Do you have the original source for this recommendation?

David

• 4 weeks later...

Interested in any first hand letters diaries or other sources for the actions around Hollebeke in the last week of October 1914. Items from 4th Hussars,16th Lancers and 129 Baluchis would also be relevant.

My grandfather was Cpl William Samue Altoft Johnson a bandsman with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers - enlisted in 1906 at age 17 and sent to Kneller Hall in the AUGUST 1907 he rejoined in York in October 1908. - Wonder how skill with French Horn helped.

He went to France with the regiment in August 1914 and was wounded on 30th October 1914 ....

Working my way through War Diaries of the 5th Lancers , 3rd Cavalry Brigade and the 2nd Cavalry Division I've now pinpointed the trenches the 5th were occupying on that day due to a clear map of the three trench areas covered by the 3rd Cavalry Brigade.

The details of the actions of the First Battle of Ypres seem to make it clear that he would have been in the trenches working on the same durites and any trooper and although probably designated for first aid duties would have been in the thick of it

Robin

• 1 month later...

Robin, I've got some photos of the Hollebeke Canal and area if you'd like to contact me please do so. dmclean165@btinternet.com

• 4 years later...

hi guys my great grand father served with the the irish lancers. where would the best place to look for a photograph of him ? didn't soldiers have a photo with there uniforms ?

hi please excuse my ignorance I am not very good with the military units ects. is the 5th lancers and the 5th Irish lancers the same unit ? been recently looking for war diary's on the Irish lancers and came across a diary for the 5th lancers I downloaded it and at the back there is a diary for the 5th Irish lancers but then I also came across this diary too. just a little confused. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351482 I didn't want to download it if I already have the part from the 5th lancers diary

Edited by The Viking

5th Lancers and 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers are one and the same. The former is simply an abbreviation of the title.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have a map or something to view the roots the 5th lancers took and faught please? Iv read the diary but can't head or tale of it. My grandfather George patrick Conway was **** through the head and servived but no mention of where the incident happend.