Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wipers tim carew

BIFFO

Wipers tim carew pub coronet

So ok its not a great history of 1st Ypres regiment by regiment action by action but it’s a dam good read that flows nicely and maybe more important to some its on Abebooks cheap I bought my copy last month and the postage cost more than the book.as a bonus you can donate to gwf

Hope this helps some one

biff

Not a book I like. Flows well as you say and copies are cheap. But a word or two of caution. It is entirely unreferenced, (always suspisious) written before the availabilty of war diaries and after studyin closely I consider unreliable as history.

Not least I am convinced that at least one 'personal account' was lifted almost word for word from the transcript of a radio play about Ypres on the BBC (which was broadcast before the book). Not a work I would consider anythingother than seriously flawed

Thank you for your valid comments

Depends what your looking for a reference book this is not I do not think it purports to be as

For cannibalised from other sources seems once you’ve read a few books you see the same thing said with a slight word change. I have read many learned books by respected authors

Well referenced down to the nearest nut and bolt they get so bogged down with facts and figures

They miss the mark I for one loose interest and put it back to be read later which normally turns out to be never, this I read from beginning to end even the long big words !!

Each to there own

biff :thumbsup::poppy:

Biff,

I'll report back in a few (or more) days. I'm reading it at the moment, but the signs are not looking good.

I'm reading it after having recently read Farrar-Hockley, Beckett and Jack's book from the German perspective.

I don't know if you've seen Jim's thread here? We've probably cleaned out the surplus copies between us.

Phil

His other title "The Vanished Army" was the first book on the Great War that i read.A very readable and atmospheric account of the B.E.F in the first few months of the war,and i liked the dust jacket as well.

Cannibalisation - research - plaigarise, plaigarises, let no one's work evade your eyes etc - is one thing. If I am correct the lift from ther play was at least lazy at worst dishonest. That affects my view of an author and his credibility. My views on The Vanished army pretty much match those on Wipers.Farrar Hockleys book was written pre War diary, and some of his views certainly don't chime with my own, but I do think is still a pretty sound worlk (and one by a skilled wrire and by an experienced ex-soldier). If I had to choose an Ypres Book it would be Ian Becket's book on the subject is a far more rounded read.(in my opinion!)

David - if you didn't like it, you would say, wouldn't you?

Seriously, I found carew's boks a good read, but even when I read them (30 years ago?), I was aware that "good read" didn't necessarily equate with "good history".

The best thing about The Vanished Army was that after reading it i wanted to find out more about "The old Contemptibles".To be honest, i prefer reading first person testimonies(even with their inaccuracies)to the official histories.

Broomers, as ever my innate modesty held me back. But Black Maria is absolutely right - if either book persuades people to look deeper into the subject it is worwhile. Infact I read the Carew books early on into my reasearch into 1st Ypres about 30 years ago. There wasn't much else available then and the books did trigger me to look wider.

Perhaps if grumpy wan't already grumpy on the forum, I could be grumpy,. Its already what my grandkids call me and one has elevated me to grumpmeister. Its so much more fun than grandpa. But enough of that. Bah, humbug.

David as YET I haven’t read the vanished army is there a chance you can give an unbiased

Review

Biff :whistle:

As a boy, I read THE VANISHED ARMY in the mid sixties, and was thoroughly captivated. This morning, I discovered WIPERS on my shelves, and I've just browsed through it. I found it embarassing. It's a caricature of cherished mythology. The style's good, and it's fun, but as far as historical accuracy goes, it's about as good as John Wayne's depiction of Davy Crockett and the Alamo.

Phil (PJA)

Biffo - thats a tough one - unbiased moi?

Its a long time since I The Vanished Army and my view of Carew became coloured by my more detailed analysis of Wipres.

I reckon the two best books on the early stages of BEF actions are Goodbye Leicester Square and the Mons Star (which very sadly is also unreferenced, and has some material I believe genuine, but have been unable to track down). The author destroyed all his papers just before his death according to his brother.

Must get back now to sharpening my bias

regards

David

Morning All,

Must admit the Prologue of 'Wipers' did draw me in, as Stephen said above, a good read, but then the historian in me kicked-in: where did he get this about the Colonel? That bed the seed of doubt. F-H's 'Death of an Army' dropped on the doormat the day after ... You can guess the rest.

Saying that, I will finish'Wipers' at a later date - "assume what is useful and disregard the rest" as Bruce Lee once said

Have a good day

Jim

Well I finished "Wipers" and my first impressions haven't changed. It certainly wasn't a good idea to read it after the other three, but curiosity got the better of me.

Phil

• 8 years later...

Just found this book at Defence Library... going to give it a go as "easy post-course" reading. But I a warned about the historical value here... thanks for that

M.