Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Queen's Own Hussars. 1914.

markus

Was wondering if anyone has info regarding what sector of the front the 4th Hussars were active on, on the 26th of November 1914.

My great uncle, a private serving with the 4th was killed on that day and I'd really like to know where the event took place. Any help or advise on further research would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

He was one of three 4th Hussars rankers lost on that day - Dowling, Hose and Wyatt.

It would appear that Hose was taken prisoner as he is commemorated on the Cologne Memorial . The others are commemorated on the Menin Gate.

According to the regimental history (The 4th (Queen's Own) Hussars in the Great War, Capt H K D Evans, MC and Maj N O Laing, DSO), the regiment had gone into billets in farms near Nooteboom on 21st November and stayed there until 13th January. The book mentions nothing at all, so I could only assume that the chap was on a Working Party or similar.

A lance corporal and 2 privates were lost - and no remains recovered locally. Might they have been attached to infantry somewhere? The fact that Pte Hose is commemorated on the Cologne Memorial would suggest that he fell into the hands of the enemy. Perhaps a small patrol that was spotted and shelled?

Would imagine that this would get a mention in the war diary - but then perhaps not given Steven's comments below on their names not being on the various lists in the history.

Odd. I've just revisited the book and checked the Appendices, and as far as I can see the three men named above do not apear in the Roll of Honour. Nor do they appear in the roll of wounded, or in the list of those taken prisoner.

Thanks for the feedback on this, this is my first post and it's really encouraging to have such speedy replies. I very much appreciate your time and interest in the matter, each of you. Also really interesting to learn about the billets at Nooteboom etc, I guess that's the area in question. All I was told by my grandfather was that his brother was out on a patrol when his life was lost. And yes, ianw, my Great uncle was Ernest Wyatt. Once again, thanks to you all for your replies, great stuff, superb...! It was certainly worthwhile joining this site, 101%...!

As an afterthought, Steven B. Yes, it does seem a bit odd that they were not mentioned in the rolls, not that I'm an expert on such matters. Do you have any further thoughts on the matter?

Perhaps surprising that this little group was forgotten - although this was a big war and perhaps they had been attached to another unit for some time as the cavalry often was.

However, their names are recorded and Pte Wyatt is on the Menin Gate - which is a splendid place to be.

Nooteboom is SW of Bailleul so pretty unlikely that they sallied forth from there.

Thanks for that, Ian. I'm hopefully going to make a trip over to Belgium soon to tour a few of the WW1 sites, so all the info you've provided is deeply appreciated. I'm going to visit the Menin Gate, for sure. I've already got photos of my great uncle's name inscribed on the Great War Memorial in the market-town of Thetford, in Norfolk. And on a plaque in St Peter's church in the same town, so the Menin Gate inscription will be a fitting addition. Fortunately, my grandfather, before he died also gave me his brother's 1914 Star, War medal and Victory medal, in addition to a Death plaque and lithograph letter from the King which are both still in the original card wrapper. Each is a treasured possession and although I obviously never knew my great uncle, they're something to remember him by. Once again, thank you for your kind replies. Warmest regards...Markus.

Markus ,

Have a great time over there when you visit.

My great uncle is also on the Menin Gate and its an honour to stand there for the Last Post knowing that family are looking down on you.

This link http://www.eastbourn...rishHussars.htm is to the regimental museum (the 4th amalgamated with the 8th King's Royal irish Hussars in the late 50's), so not sure if they might be able to assist.

Alternatively, here's the current regiment http://www.qrhregtassoc.org.uk/

As to why they're not in the History, I wonder, simply, whether they had been detached and (sorry to suggest) forgotten? I'm afraid I don't know the geographic loction covered by the Menin Gate so can't suggest why they might be on it if the regiment was near Bailleul.

Thanks Ian, it's going to be a heck of an experience, no doubt. And the epitaph you've quoted with the later 'e-bay' post-script, so very sad but unfortunately, so very true.

And Steven, thank you, too. I'm now in the process of contacting the links. Really didn't expect such great returns to follow my enquiries. All the best to you all.

Markus,

It would be well worthwhile to review the records of these 3 men and the 4th Hussars war diary to try to get a clue of where they met trouble on that fateful day.

Their sacrifice deserves to be remembered now to balance the way they disappeared into obscurity all those years ago. I hope you can establish their story.

The cavalry did great work in WW1 as witnessed by these 3 men's sacrifice.

(Yes, that epitaph could well have been your great uncle's.)

We will remember them.

Yes indeed, Ian. Thanks.

I'm certainly heading into a state of obsessive determination now, to find out what happened to them. Hopefully, with a bit of digging something will occur or crop up regarding their fates. Maybe at some point in the future I will be able to add a post here to relay their story, and honour each of them, as they undoubtedly deserve. Here's hoping.

All the best...

Lol, yep, sure do. Enthralling, really whipped up about it all and looking forward to the further research. Thanks for the new link, too. Looks like a worthwhile read, I've just ordered a copy. Many thanks again for your interest, Steven. Warmest regards.

I've been trying to envisage the three of them, Ian. I do have a photo of my great uncle alongside several other soldiers, each in their 4th Hussars Nbr 1 dress. It would be interesting to determine if Dowling and Hose are amongst them, would be great if they are. Perhaps somewhere along the way I might find out. If it does prove possible to unravel their fate, then the next step for me would be to research the descendants of the other two fellas, hopefully contact them and relay the tale. I guess time will tell.

I've been trying to envisage the three of them, Ian. I do have a photo of my great uncle alongside several other soldiers, each in their 4th Hussars Nbr 1 dress.

Feel free to scan and post it!

It would be my pleasure, I'll get the family suitcase of photos right now and delve it out.

I think I can safely speak for Ian, too, but I have thouroughly enjoyed this thread. And the picture's great too :thumbsup:

Do ask the regimental museum if they'd like a copy.

Thanks Steven, will do. And thank you too, Ian. To remember them is what it's all about, eh?

Your threads have been really great, inspiring and genuinely helpfull. Thank you both very much.

Markus i know what your saying when "heading into a state of obsessive determination" while researching a family member & you never know what you might discover. I started with my granddad's personal diary of his time in the 4th Hussars & a photo of him with his brother & three other Hussars many years ago & have found his brother's grandson who is actually a member on this forum. So it just goes to show you what could happen. I took a look & the copies of the war diaries that I have but could not find a mention of these men either, i'll take a closer look later on as the pages around this date are really dark & hard to read. Good luck in your research & i'll let you know what I find in the diaries.

Cheers Rich