Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Regiment TF: When?

CarylW

Looking at the shoulder title, is that a TF unit?

Glad to be of assistance. Have you checked your man's MIC in case there is a mention of the Yorkshire Regt. My maternal grandfather served in four different units and they are all mentioned on his MIC.

Just a thought---.

Robert

Looking at the shoulder title, is that a TF unit?

Possibly 4th or 5th Battalion--well spotted!!

Glad to be of assistance. Have you checked your man's MIC in case there is a mention of the Yorkshire Regt. My maternal grandfather served in four different units and they are all mentioned on his MIC.

Just a thought---.

Yes, I know what you mean. I've found the same with other soldiers, but it's hard to recognise which one here because I have conflicting information about this soldier (who has a very common name) and I need to clarify some of it

I'll come back if I get stuck and need more help (sorry to be mysterious but it's something I'm working on that I'm not sure of) You've been a great help

Thanks also to Steven

Caryl

I did wonder, looking at the badge and the bandoliers, whether we were looking at the 19th Husssars, but the badge looks as if it has a scroll at the bottom, which the Yorkshires did have, but the Hussars didn't.

Do we have any idea where it was taken? It has the look of a pre-war TF Camp.

I'd go with TF as the MG is a Maxim.

Definately Machine Gunners of a TF Battalion - "the Yorkshire Regt". Any postmark, giving a photographers location on the reverse side of the photo itself?

Caryl,

These are definitely soldiers of a territorial battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment and if there is a Beverley connection, then they would have to be almost certainly 1/5th Battalion. As has already been suggested this photo also has the feel of a pre war territorials camp--1910 to 1913 ish. Not quite sure how this fits in with your great uncles though?

Great photos by the way!!

Robert

Thanks Robert. This is all very mysterious. Mixed in with the photos are photos of the EYR band including one with another of the brothers

Did you notice one of the soldiers has a loaf of bread on his head?!! in photo no. 2?

Another

carneym10.jpg

He's probably been told by the Sergeant to use his loaf :w00t:

I'm no expert on uniforms, but this last photo looks earlier than the previous ones. Where are those uniform buffs when you need one?

Did you notice one of the soldiers has a loaf of bread on his head?!! in photo no. 2?

He was probably a member of the American Army on some form of exchange visit.

Doughboy.

Oh very quick, you two :lol:

Another, and if I'm not mistaken, the soldier at the top of the picture behind the gun is wearing an East Yorkshire cap badge (?)

carneym8.jpg

Caryl

Another. I've changed the topic title of the thread. Cap badges are not clear here, I'm not good at identifying uniforms, and patches and I'm wondering if this is one of the EYR band photos

carneym7.jpg

I think all photos pre-war or at the very least early war - certainly not post war thats for sure ... the weaponry is all very early IMHO.

The rifles are the Long Lee with P'88 bayonet (not a SMLE to be seen) and the MG's are all Maxim, also shown on gun-carriages.?

Cheers, S>S

Oh very quick, you two :lol:

If this is a pre-war unit, then it's seems unlikely that it is Michael William Carney, given that he had a total un-interrupted service of 26 years 155 days with the East Yorks from the age of 14

When the photos first arrived I was so pleased until I realised that the cap badges in some of them were not EYR, one of only a few badges I can recognise! The other photos are a definite bonus though and these are very interesting although they have me puzzled

Another, and if I'm not mistaken, the soldier at the top of the picture behind the gun is wearing an East Yorkshire cap badge (?)

carneym8.jpg

Caryl

Hi Caryl,

These are definitely East Yorks, as is most probably the previous photo with the same headgear. These are more than likely to include your great uncle Michael W.Carney and I wonder if these are pre Boer War photos or if not early 1900's?

I suppose that if you don't have an individual photo of him? it will be a matter of checking closely to see if one man stands out as being in each of the groups--quite a task--but you may get lucky!!

Good Luck.

Robert

As already stated post's #1, #10, #11, #13 & #14 all show the M.G. Section of a Territorial Bn, Yorkshire Regt. I can't make ot the cap badges in post #13, but can tell straight away they're Territorials as the lad standing to the left of the Maxim Gun Carraige is wearing his efficiency star above the efficiency lozenge. In post #14 they appear to be wearing the whitemetal 'Yorkshire Regt' collar badge in their Field Service Caps.

Post's #17 and #18 do appear to be East Yorks, but it's difficult to tell if these are Regulars or Territorials.

Going back to the photo in post #10, which the photographer has numbered J.429 - if I'm not mistaken it was probably taken at Scarborough during the Brigade Camp. I have many pre-war Territorial photo's of the Northumberland Fusiliers who also camped in Scarborough too and are similarly marked. Of all the pre-war Camps this was one of the most popular for those Territorials in the Northumberland Brigade, York & Durham Brigade(which contained the Green Howards Bn's) & Durham L.I. Brigade.

Discovered some more that I'd filed away in a different folder.

Why the white bands around caps? is this one E Yorks, or Territorial? Cap badge in one soldier without a white band looks EYR?

mcarney22.jpg

Caryl