Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Identity

TheCount

First post and I have little or no knowledge of regiments. :blush:

I am trying to track down the WW1 regiment of the two soldiers.

I believe Soldier1 is King's Liverpool Regiment.

Soldier2 I cannnot quite make out the badge.

Any help much appreciated.

post-91707-0-16488100-1344187745_thumb.jpost-91707-0-01926200-1344187747_thumb.j

No.1 would agree KLR

No.2 looks like 7th City of London badge? Look left for an example :thumbsup: Regards Sean

1. KLR, agree with Shiny Seventh.

2. Notice that the hutments photo is by a Waterloo photographer which would exclude 7th Londons as they weren't in Lancashire to best of my knowledge. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (similar pattern badge) were at Oswestry then West Lancs so are a real possibility and the Royal Munster Fusiliers embarked for Mudros via Liverpool so cannot be completely discounted. RNF* were all over the north but obviously tended towards the east, again cannot be discarded. Any chance of a close up of badge or shoulder title ?

Suddery

* Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - all three fusilier badges I've quoted are similar.

1. KLR, agree with Shiny Seventh.

2. Notice that the hutments photo is by a Waterloo photographer which would exclude 7th Londons as they weren't in Lancashire to best of my knowledge. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (similar pattern badge) were at Oswestry in West Lancs so are a real possibility and the Royal Munster Fusiliers embarked for Munros via Liverpool so cannot be completely discounted. RNF* were all over the north but obviously tended towards the east, again cannot be discarded. Any chance of a close up of badge or shoulder title ?

Suddery

* Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - all three fusilier badges I've quoted are similar.

The second photo could also be Royal Welsh Fusiliers--possibly? or more likely Northumberland Fusiliers(without the Royal)

The second photo could also be Royal Welsh Fusiliers--possibly? or more likely Northumberland Fusiliers(without the Royal)

Quite right. Northumberland Fusiliers, my mistake. I felt flames of RWF were in a tighter more upright flare but agree, shouldn't be discounted

Oswestry is a fair march from West Lancs...

Sorry, must stop watching Olympics while typing. Meant Oswestry then West Lancs.

Have corrected in edit and am grateful for the gentle nature of the correction.

Suddery

Not knowing much about Up North, I assumed the Waterloo photographer would have taken the LSWR from SE1 to a hutment camp in the Surrey area to photograph a local London unit. :(

Not knowing much about Up North,

Ably demonstrated

100% RWFusiliers :thumbsup:

Yup, agree. 3rd (Reserve) Battalion ?

Suddery

Yup, agree. 3rd (Reserve) Battalion ?

Suddery

I really wouldn't like to say which battalion--unless you can tell? I think that the shoulder title is fairly standard RWF? but then I am not an expert on such things!!

Not knowing much about Up North, I assumed the Waterloo photographer would have taken the LSWR from SE1 to a hutment camp in the Surrey area to photograph a local London unit. :(

I believe that Waterloo is also an area of Liverpool :thumbsup:

As we say say here, it is up the line. Outside the city, in what is now the borough of Sefton. Near Bootle. (ducks to avoid brickbats from those in Waterloo, Crosby etc).

I really wouldn't like to say which battalion--unless you can tell? I think that the shoulder title is fairly standard RWF? but then I am not an expert on such things!!

Per Brig James 'British Regiments', 3rd Reserve Battalion of RWF were at Litherland, Liverpool from May 1915 to Nov 1917. Litherland borders Waterloo, again in Liverpool. Waterloo,London, is a station in Lambeth.

I apologise if I'm overly prickly to Steven Broomfield's comments but I believe I'm posting in the interests of a serious forum - fun, flippancy and cynicism I enjoy but surely these are for Skindles.

Suddery

Per Brig James 'British Regiments', 3rd Reserve Battalion of RWF were at Litherland, Liverpool from May 1915 to Nov 1917. Litherland borders Waterloo, again in Liverpool. Waterloo,London, is a station in Lambeth.

Suddery

Well done!! I missed looking for this--great deduction Watson!!

I don't think the LSWR made it quite this far North :whistle:

Well done!! I missed looking for this--great deduction Watson!!

:whistle:

Mutually solved Holmes, ain't that just the point of a forum ?

Mutually solved Holmes, ain't that just the point of a forum ?

Excellent work!!

Just what I always thought too!! It seems that others have a different take on this :ph34r::whistle:

Again thanks for your replies.

I notice also that the 3rd Reserve Battalion RWF were at Pembroke Dock, where there is also a "Waterloo".

So I wonder which one was where the photo was taken?

Any clues on the battalion, etc for the first guy?

I notice that the King's Liverpool Regiment also had a reserve battalion (3rd) based at Seaforth ( not a million miles away from Litherland) and then at Pembroke Dock.

Coincidence??

BTW, I think the two guys are related. :)

I have found reference to WW1 photographs taken by a B. Pinnington, Ainsdale, which is not far away.

I suspect he may have travelled around the barracks.

Three years before the outbreak of war, this family seems to provide the link, placing the Waterloo locality as the one near Liverpool - and Seaforth:

"PINNINGTON, Bernard - Son - u/m - 21 - 1890 - Photographer - Seaforth, Lancs.

Parents: Walter [52] and Florence [49]. And 6 siblings.

35 Lancaster Road, Ainsdale, Lancashire."

D