Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

About "Photos by a Battlefield Digger"

GaryDiggerGreece

All very valid points Gentlemen,I agree with you all.

My post is about the way in which the repies to the title of the thread were put across,but not everone,including myself is a master of words.

With regard to destruction of human remains the difference here is scale ie relic hunting in Greece - small scale, farming in Belgium and France - large scale. Accidental destruction can't be a valid excuse as taking a plough onto a battlefield is an action taken through the needs of a farmer, and disturbing / destroying human remains is a reasonably foreseeable event.

Yes but... The 'but' being that the western front was cleared as much as possible of its human remains after WW1 and it is really very rare for a framer to plough up something there (apart from which most human remains are in any case buried at a greater depth than usual plough depth). The mass recovery of the dead post WW1 does not seem to have been the case in the Balkans.

Welcome aboard Yvonne,

If you've come here expecting diplomacy I'm afraid you might have come to the wrong place!

Rgds

Tim D

LOL,well, appreciate your comment Tim.....x

Yes but... The 'but' being that the western front was cleared as much as possible of its human remains after WW1 and it is really very rare for a framer to plough up something there (apart from which most human remains are in any case buried at a greater depth than usual plough depth). The mass recovery of the dead post WW1 does not seem to have been the case in the Balkans.

Yes I see your point, however its a little naive to think the missing are all buried the standard 6ft. A quick look through the long trail explains that not all of the battlefields were searched for remains and this topic has been covered on the forum previously.