Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare Magazine Lee-Enfied Bisley Prize Presentation Rifle

Lancashire Fusilier

I nearly purchased a very similar item about 20 yrs ago it was 1914 dated presentation CLLE the recipent never got his prize was killed later on Asking price then was £750 had beautiful tiger striped walnut. There was a reasonable Long Lee at Bisley Arms fair today asking £1100 and not a presentation job. B & S make repro 215gn Bullet heads for reloading, if you still want to shoot one of these beautys with original spec ammo.

That 1914 presentation rifle, would have made a great investment, and as you have seen, prices for even a basic Long Lee rifle have remained high. It is a rifle that is always in demand both by shooters and collectors.

Regards,

LF

LF. Many thanks I had heard of volley sights but this was the first picture I have seen. I would like to start a thread on such sights, if one does not exist; Ithink that would be better than expanding this thread of a particular rifle.

Old Tom

PS I have found there was one 'Long Lee Volley sights' in April this year

The efficacy (or futility) of volley sights has been discussed at great length in the past, including calculations of the descending angle of the bullets and the possible beaten zone. You will need to search several threads though.

I am an unashamed advocate though, not least because I have a copy of a War Office questionnaire of 1899 asking regiments of their experience of volley sights in the Sudan fighting and it is quite clear they were appreciated in the field.

Although I think Chris has posted pictures before, here are close ups of the volley sights and how they are used. in this instance, the sight is set for 2,700 yards.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-22579500-1341754695_thumb.jp

post-8515-0-35644400-1341754770_thumb.jp

post-8515-0-96608000-1341754806_thumb.jp

The Volley sights are the reason the sling loops are offset on Long Lees and SMLE's to enable the Volley sights to be used. You see a lot of rifles with them incorrectly fitted.

The Volley sights are the reason the sling loops are offset on Long Lees and SMLE's to enable the Volley sights to be used. You see a lot of rifles with them incorrectly fitted.

Quite true, although after the deletion of the volley sights the offeset is irrelevant so perhaps not suprising.

On the very last Indian models stamped metal sing swivels were fitted and these had no offset. The other thing one sees incorrectly fitted (backwards!) which also usually has an offset is the rear sight protector on SMLEs, although here the offset was to allow access to the rear sight windage adjustments present on earlier MkIIIs. Again, in the later Indian produced examples this offset was omitted to simplify production. I have seen numerous photographs of rifles in Indian service post WWII with the rear sight protectors fitted backwards so apparently there was not much concern for "correctness" in that context!

One point to add to TonyE's illustration which may not be obvious to non shooters.

The purpose of the volley sights was to allow the rifle to be sighted at targets at extreme distance - whilst still shouldering the butt normally. The geometry a bit tough to visualize but using the standard sights to sight on distant targets the rear sight has to be raised considerably while the foresight blade is maintained on the target (to provide the required tragectory), this depresses the butt to a point at which it is impossible to shoulder the rifle and aim. This is the problem raising the rear sight peep and lowering the pointer overcomes.

Chris

LF a lovely rifle and thanks to Tony and Chris for the explanation of the Volley sights i am a none shooter who has read a lot about these rifles in action but all i know is which end not to stand in the way of.john

LF a lovely rifle and thanks to Tony and Chris for the explanation of the Volley sights i am a none shooter who has read a lot about these rifles in action but all i know is which end not to stand in the way of.john

John,

Pleased you liked the rifle, and you have a perfect understanding of rifle safety!

Regards,

LF

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and postings!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and postings!

Pleased you liked them, and I am sure you have some great hunting/shooting in your part of the country.

Regards,

LF