Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare Magazine Lee-Enfied Bisley Prize Presentation Rifle

Lancashire Fusilier

For those Forum members who enjoy and appreciate fine and rare firearms, I am delighted to share a rare rifle from my Collection, a London Small Arms Co. Ltd., Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk.1* Manufacturer's Presentation Rifle.

All genuine Presentation Rifles are extremely rare, particularly those dated WW1 or earlier, and Manufacturer's Presentation Rifles are considered by many collectors to be the most desirable.

These rifles, presented by the actual rifle maker, as opposed to those purchased by a third party and then presented, were the epitome of the Gunmaker's craft, and allowed the rifle manufacturer to demonstrate the quality of their product and their workmanship. Consequently, with the Manufacturer's Presentation Rifle you would expect to see the very highest quality components, and the very highest standards of the rifle maker's skills and workmanship on display.

With this particular rifle, even more so, as it was presented by the London Small Arms Co. Ltd. as a Winner's Prize Presentation Rifle at the prestigious Bisley Rifle Championships in 1911.

For the rifle manufacturer there was no better setting than Bisley to display their rifle, and have it viewed by the finest rifle shooters and rifle aficionados not just in Great Britain, but in the world.

This London Small Arms Co. Ltd., ( L.S.A. Ltd ) Presentation Rifle is a Lee-Enfield Mk.1* in .303 calibre ( not having the clearing rod fitted ), and the manufacturer's have chosen to showcase this rifle using the rare and beautiful matching highest quality English Walnut with the distinctive Fiddleback striped grain on all the rifle's woodwork, expertly matching the grain over the complete length of the rifle.

Fiddleback Walnut, is so called because of its use in the making of very expensive violins. This rare cut of Walnut is classed as one of the highest grades of stock timber, and is graded by the Stockmaker as ' Fancy Grade ', and is reserved for the finest quality rifles and shotguns.

Set into the butt, is a solid silver presentation plaque detailing this rifle as being presented by The London Small Arms Co. Ltd., as a Winner's Prize at Bisley in 1911.

This rifle has all matching serial numbers on the bolt, barrel and backsight, and judging by the rifle's pristine mirror bore, and the superb all original overall condition of the rifle, it appears to be in unfired condition.

The London Small Arms Co. Ltd. based in Tower Hamlets, London, was founded in 1866, and unlike B.S.A., Birmingham and R.S.A.F., Enfield, L.S.A. steered away from high volume rifle production, and preferred to focus on maintaining a greater level of workmanship in their firearms, and today, L.S.A. rifles are highly regarded for their higher quality and workmanship.

Prior to WW1, The Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield was producing 1,000 new rifles per week, and The Birmingham Small Arms Co., was producing 750 rifles per week. By comparison, The London Small Arms Co., was producing 200+ rifles per week.

With their only having been in existence for a short 69 years, from 1866 to 1935, and coupled with their low production figures, L.S.A. rifles are amongst the rarest of the production rifles.

This rifle's details are :-

Magazine Lee-Enfield Mark 1*

Calibre - .303

Rifling and Twist - 5 groove, Enfield, LH.

Barrel Length - 30.2 inches.

Overall Length - 49.5 inches.

Weight - 9 lb. 4 oz.

Magazine Capacity - 10 rounds - The Platform Spring for the MLE Mk.1* magazine was a " C " spring. ( later models having the flat zig-zag spring ).

A magazine cut-off is fitted.

The backsights are graduated at 200 to 500 yards in 100 yd. steps on the bed, and the folding leaf to 1800 yards.

The long range dial sights are marked from 1600 to 2800 yards, and are used in conjunction with the folding rear aperture sight.

A detachable bolt dustcover is fitted.

The safety catch is mounted to the right side of the cocking piece.

This rifle takes the Pattern 1888 bayonet.

This rifle has its original leather sling, and brass muzzle cover.

Unfortunately, my photographs do not do this rifle justice, it needs to be held to be fully appreciated.

The only other Lee-Enfield Presentation Rifle I am aware of, which is not a Manufacturer's Presentation Rifle, but of similar type, is a Lee-Enfield Short Model No.1 Mk. III held in the American National Firearms Museum

( photographs attached )

LF

post-63666-0-68504100-1341662160_thumb.j

Some fine pictures of a fine rifle. Many thanks for posting. May I ask a couple of questions. What is the function of the device on the left of the rifle between the rear sight and the upper sling swivel ? and, if I am not being silly, why do you use such a small type face?

Old Tom

Fully agree with you Old Tom, was going to ask the same questions myself, especially the small type face, very difficult to read after a while. Ralph.

Some fine pictures of a fine rifle. Many thanks for posting. May I ask a couple of questions. What is the function of the device on the left of the rifle between the rear sight and the upper sling swivel ? and, if I am not being silly, why do you use such a small type face?

Old Tom

Tom,

I am pleased you like the rifle, and apologies for the initial very small text, which has now been enlarged, the device you refer to is the

long range dial sight, which is used in conjunction with the folding rear aperture sight, set at the back left side of the rifle.

It is sometimes referred to as a Volley Sight.

Regards,

LF

Fully agree with you Old Tom, was going to ask the same questions myself, especially the small type face, very difficult to read after a while. Ralph.

Ralph,

Again apologies for the small text, which is now enlarged.

Regards,

LF

Lee-Enfield Presentation Rifle on display at the American National Firearms Museum.

LF

post-63666-0-73049700-1341664967_thumb.j

post-63666-0-89868100-1341664980_thumb.j

Showing same type font as you chaps to me?

A lovely looking weapon. When you say "prize", was this given along side another cup or trophey? If I remember rightly said cups and tropheys do not leave Bisley? I went as a Cadet and seen the winner of the Queens, taken around in the chair before ending at Canada lodge to take the cigar from the bear head.

Odd, on my screen LF's post is in the normal font size, although posts from others have shown on my screen as being in miniscule font. A Forum quirk?

To answer Old Tom's question, the item on the left forward side of the stock is the front sight for the volley sights. The rear part of the sight is the folding arm on the left side of the receiver at the rear, which you can see in the fourth photo of the second post.

The arm on the front sight is dialled to the appropriate range and then the rifle sighted by lining up the tip of the front sight arm with the aperture of the vertical rear sight arm.

Regards

TonyE

Showing same type font as you chaps to me?

A lovely looking weapon. When you say "prize", was this given along side another cup or trophey? If I remember rightly said cups and tropheys do not leave Bisley? I went as a Cadet and seen the winner of the Queens, taken around in the chair before ending at Canada lodge to take the cigar from the bear head.

This Prize rifle would have been presented to the Winner by the London Small Arms Co. Ltd. alongside the ' Official ' Bisley cup or trophy, and would have become the Winner's personal property.

Pleased you liked the rifle.

Regards,

LF

What exactly doe the escutcheon say? Which competition was it awarded for?

During the Imperial Meeting at Bisley (that which LF calls the Bisley Rifle Championships) there are many competitions, of which the most prestigious is the King or Queens Prize, shot over three stages culminating in 15 shots at each of 900 and 1,000 yards range. It is the winner of that event who is chaired round the camp to imbibe at every club house, each having their own "patent" alcoholic mix that must be drunk from one of their own large silver trophies. I have been party to a number of these events, especially when a Surrey man has won, and they are not for the faint hearted!

Many of the competitions are sponsored by newspapers (Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph) and others by various organisations. It was quite common for companies such as LAC to put up prizes in these competions and the Grand Aggregate alongside the National Rifle Association and sponsors' trophies.

Regards

TonyE

TonyE,

The silver plaque does not specify a particular Bisley discipline, other than it was presented by the London Small Arms Company Ltd., to the winner Bisley 1911. Obviously, I would like to think that it was presented to the winner of the King's Prize!, which in reality, it could have been, as I know they were presented with prizes other than the actual Bisley trophy.

Being a Surrey man myself, I know what you mean.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF,

Congratulations on owning such a magnificent rifle, nice to see it outside of a museum collection.

khaki

Hello LF,

Congratulations on owning such a magnificent rifle, nice to see it outside of a museum collection.

khaki

Thanks khaki, it is truly British rifle making at its very best, at a time when British craftsman produced some of the finest rifles in the world.

Regards,

LF

A really spectacular example.

Raises a question. By 1911 the ShtLE had been in service for quite a number of years (since 1903) and the MkIII had been in service for 3 (since 1907) so the MLE MkI* was not "state of the art" as far as service rifles went so I wonder why it was a MkI* was chosen? The MkI* was approved in August of 1899 (the CL version in 1908) I am not sure when production ceased, but I suspect it was prior to 1911. Is the rifle dated on the wrist? Does it have LSA military style markings (Crown, Cypher etc) or does it just have LSA Co.?

I suspect the answer is probably that the long rifles were still preferred by many target shooters and so was the most appropriate prize.

Again, a spectacular example. I assume it is possible to narrow down the list of recipients based on the results that year? Have you tied to discover who it was presented to?

Chris

A really spectacular example.

Raises a question. By 1911 the ShtLE had been in service for quite a number of years (since 1903) and the MkIII had been in service for 3 (since 1907) so the MLE MkI* was not "state of the art" as far as service rifles went so I wonder why it was a MkI* was chosen? The MkI* was approved in August of 1899 (the CL version in 1908) I am not sure when production ceased, but I suspect it was prior to 1911. Is the rifle dated on the wrist? Does it have LSA military style markings (Crown, Cypher etc) or does it just have LSA Co.?

I suspect the answer is probably that the long rifles were still preferred by many target shooters and so was the most appropriate prize.

Again, a spectacular example. I assume it is possible to narrow down the list of recipients based on the results that year? Have you tied to discover who it was presented to?

Chris

Chris,

As a rifle aficionado and advanced collector yourself, I thought it would appeal to you.

I think you are correct regarding the suitabilty of the prize, with this model being a well established ' shooters ' rifle, and as you will recall from another current thread, BSA were producing the MLE ( Long Lee ) rifle well into the late 1930's and continued to offer it in their Sales Catalogue into the 1930's.

My understanding, is that based on the grade of English Walnut used on this rifle, and the workmanship put into it, this rifle was custom made for the Bisley presentation of 1911.

The rifle wrist carries the ' L.S.A. Co. Ltd ' mark and is London proofed.

I shall at some point do far more research on this rifle, and look closely at photographs from Bisley 1911 in the hope of finding the original ' Winner ' of this rifle.

Regards,

LF

If you contact the NRA Museum at Bisley they should be able to provide you with the Prize List for the 1911 Imperial Meeting. I am down there tomorrow and although the Museum will be closed I will see if anyone is around.

Regards

TonyE

If you contact the NRA Museum at Bisley they should be able to provide you with the Prize List for the 1911 Imperial Meeting. I am down there tomorrow and although the Museum will be closed I will see if anyone is around.

Regards

TonyE

That is very kind of you, and much appreciated.

Regards,

LF

LF. Thats better makes more interesting reading now, old eyes and all that. Ralph.

Ralph,

The very same for my rapidly fading eyesight.

In future, I shall check the font size before posting, as a couple of times I have noticed that the font size has been automatically preset to the very smallest font size, and needs to be increased before posting ?

Regards,

LF

I think the font thing is the result of cutting and pasting from a word-processing package which by default usually sets the font size to 10/12 cpi

which is small on here like this (10 point) or like this (12 point) . If you set the Word Processor to 14 or 16 point font I think it would be OK. Like this.

Chris

Been having a quick browse through the Bisley reporting in The Times of 1911; for the majority of results it details the prizes, such as: medal + £xx; badge; trophy; trophy + £xx, or just £xx, Shield, etc, etc; in a quick search through, there are two competitions with rifles listed as prizes (no specifics on the rifles or the donors unfortunately& there may be others I've missed.) The paper of July 17 reported:

THE SPECTATOR (S.R) Open only to one team of five representative tiro members from any one rifle club affiliated to the NRA. Seven shots at 200 and 500 yards. Time limit 80 minutes.
Winners five rifles - Reading, 324; winners of two rifles - Dorking, 321; winners of one rifle - South London, 321 ...

HANDSWORTH (SR) winner rifle and £5 Pte. JDM Black, 4th Cam Hrs, 90; Rifle and £3, Sgt AM Cruickshanks, 4th R Scots, 90; Rifle and £2, Lt HC Jones 8th Middx, 89; Rifle and £1, CQMS JS Mayne, E Anglian RE, 89...

In 1907 (28th May) relating to prizes given for the forthcoming Bisley meeting this was reported:

London Small Arms Range prizes, range prizes in connexion with the first stage, St George's Competition the London Small Arms Company giving four Lee-Enfield Rifles.

I haven't, unfortunately, been able to trace a similar statement for 1911 - possibly the NRA's archives might hold lists of prizes donated for each year's competitions.

NigelS

London Small Arms Range prizes, range prizes in connexion with the first stage, St George's Competition the London Small Arms Company giving four Lee-Enfield Rifles.

I haven't, unfortunately, been able to trace a similar statement for 1911 - possibly the NRA's archives might hold lists of prizes donated for each year's competitions.

NigelS

Nigel,

Excellent research, I am particularly interested in the London Small Arms Range Prizes, specifically mentioning the Lee-Enfields in connection with the St. George's Competition. Hopefully London Small Arms repeated the donation of the Lee-Enfield prizes again in 1911, and documention/photographs will be forthcoming.

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

LF

I think the font thing is the result of cutting and pasting from a word-processing package which by default usually sets the font size to 10/12 cpi

which is small on here like this (10 point) or like this (12 point) . If you set the Word Processor to 14 or 16 point font I think it would be OK. Like this.

Chris

Chris,

Yes, you are right, I had typed the post on a word-processing package, before cutting and pasting it, rather than type it all out again!

Thanks for info.

Regards,

LF

LF. Many thanks I had heard of volley sights but this was the first picture I have seen. I would like to start a thread on such sights, if one does not exist; Ithink that would be better than expanding this thread of a particular rifle.

Old Tom

PS I have found there was one 'Long Lee Volley sights' in April this year

I nearly purchased a very similar item about 20 yrs ago it was 1914 dated presentation CLLE the recipent never got his prize was killed later on Asking price then was £750 had beautiful tiger striped walnut. There was a reasonable Long Lee at Bisley Arms fair today asking £1100 and not a presentation job. B & S make repro 215gn Bullet heads for reloading, if you still want to shoot one of these beautys with original spec ammo.