Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21,000 unexploded bombs buried underneath Britain

ph0ebus

Pardon - there are 2 distinct uses of the term 'blind' - could you enlighten me as to their definitions in this context? Thanks. I find these dicussions fascianting as I recently have had to deal with it in small measure at work. We recently found a stash of 65 year old oxygen and hydrogen generators and we have a dozen or so very suspect mortar rounds and grenades that local AF EOD are coming to remove. The legacy of 35 years of amateur and enthusiastic museum collecting, preumably based on the flawed logic that it hasn't gone of yet or we wouldn't have it if it were not safe. Discussions here and about the Belgian DOVO reinvigorated me to address these unknowns.

Thanks,

Scott.

Scott,

A Blind is an item of ammunition that when fired, thrown, dropped, projected or used fails to function at all. This results in an item that may have all of the normal safety restraints that prevent functioning removed or partially removed. As such often it cannot be discerned what state it is in and so is assumed to be at its most dangerous. Blinds are particularly angry items and definately come under the catagory, 'If someting bad can happen - it will!'. The item can be low or high explosive, designed to explode or create some pyrotechnic effect (such as smoke or Illuminating) all can become a blind. Other useful descriptions, if it functions but not completely it is a Partial, and if it functions but not as intended it is a Performance Failure.

The last museum I did was a Regimental one in the South of England (name withheld to protect the hoarders :thumbsup: ) and took me 4 days and two bomb vans full of live stuff. The DOVO are good people, so are the Demineur. I have many friends in both and regularly visit to keep up contact and swap ideas. EOD is a small world and we don't keep good ideas to ourselves to the detrement of others.

Hope this helps. Please let meknow if you want any further ellaboration?

Yours Aye,

Rod

Blinds are particularly angry items and definately come under the catagory, 'If someting bad can happen - it will!'.

I drove an ATO from Deysbrook Barracks around in late 75/early 76. Shortly after I'd moved on he was killed by one.

Scott,

A Blind is an item of ammunition that when fired, thrown, dropped, projected or used fails to function at all.

So almost all those shells that come to light along the WF are blinds and yet there are still those who treat them in a very cavalier manner.

• 1 month later...

In Germany each and every day unexploded bombs are detected. You can read it daily in the papers. Experienced bomb disposal teams usually defuse them. Not this one with aceton fuse.

Yesterday night a 250kg aerial bomb could not be defused and was brought to detonation in the center of Munich . Pictures here and a video here

So almost all those shells that come to light along the WF are blinds and yet there are still those who treat them in a very cavalier manner.

Some of it will be stuff that was never fired, and just sank into the mud and was forgotten.

Partly correct. Many are blinds, others found are clearly the remains of shrapnel shells which are empty and harmless. Grenades (I'm talking Mills here) found are mainly lost in battle and normally still have the pin and lever attached. So these are not blinds but potenially unexploded ordnance.

John

In Germany each and every day unexploded bombs are detected. You can read it daily in the papers. Experienced bomb disposal teams usually defuse them. Not this one with aceton fuse.

Yesterday night a 250kg aerial bomb could not be defused and was brought to detonation in the center of Munich . Pictures hereand a video here

I would expect the Germans to have the most experienced EOD teams in the world after what was dropped in WW2. In France they also still find a lot of WW2 bombs when building work is taking place.

john

In Germany each and every day unexploded bombs are detected. You can read it daily in the papers. Experienced bomb disposal teams usually defuse them. .........

As I said each day.

Today 2 bombs in Oranienburg, Brandenburg, were discovered, one has been defused, the other one in town will be blown up tonight. Oranienburg is a small town and has to pay 2Million Euro per year to defuse duds of whom some 300 more are suspected lieing dormant in the town's ground.

In the related article at the very bottom you can scroll through the post bomb explosion Munich pictures . 2 houses are 100% demolished some 14 more are under evaluation whether they are safe to live in.