Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Cartridge

Willywombat

In addition to the No.107 fuze igniter and detonator, this is a list of the various cartridges that were based on variations of the .303 inch case that I have managed to compile so far:

Igniter, with Delay, No.110 Fuze, Mark I.L (17 grns RFG2 Black powder)

Igniter, with Delay, No.110 Fuze, Mark II.L (17 grns RFG2 Black powder)

Igniter, with Delay, No.110 Fuze, Mark III.L (17 grns RFG2 Black powder)

Detonator, No.22 Rifle Grenade, Mark I.L (30.8 grns Fulminate of Mercury)

Detonator, No.39 Grenade, Mark I/L (30.8 grns Fulminate of Mercury)

Detonator, No.110 Fuze, Mark I/L (15.4 grns Fulminate of Mercury)

Detonator, No.110 Fuze, Mark II/L (15.4 grns Fulminate of Mercury)

Detonator, No.110 Fuze, Mark III/L (15.4 grns Fulminate of Mercury)

Detonator, H.E. Bomb, M.L.,3-inch Stokes Trench Mortar, No.2 Mark III (30.8 grns Fulminate of Mercury)

Primer, Percussion, Propelling Charge, M.L.4-inch Stokes Trench Howitzer, Mark I.L (3 grns FG blackpowder)

Primer, Percussion, Propelling Charge, M.L.6-inch Trench Mortar, Mark I.L (12.5 grns guncotton yarn with mealed black powder)

Primer, Percussion, Propelling Charge, M.L.6-inch Trench Mortar, Mark II.L (12.5 grns guncotton yarn with mealed black powder)

There are a number of other grenade discharger and propulsive cartridges, percussion vent tubes etc., but these all use a standard .303 inch case loaded with normal propellants, cordite, ballistite or black powder.

Rod - Now that a lot of archive drawings have been moved up to the School, you may find some for the above there.

Regards

Tony E

Tony are those described in Temples book? I haven't got it with me at the moment but there are quite a few.

Mick

Yes Mick, most of them are. However, I don't think Barry describes the toffee apple round this thread started with in either the blank or dummy volumes of his books.

I should have added that there are various inert versions of the rounds I listed for instructional purposes that basically look the same except that they have holes drilled in the case like most drill/dummy rounds.

Not directly relevent, but this is a nice Eley drawing of the discharger cartridge for the Pippin grenade.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-95094100-1341947122_thumb.jp

Here is a photo of some of the cartridges I mentioned in the post above.

They are, left to right:

-Toffee Apple. i believe this is a propulsive cartridge, not an igniter but I would like confirmation of this, particularly a drawing.

- Primer, Percussion, Propelling Charge, M.L. 6-inch Trench Mortar, Mark I.L

- Igniter, With delay, No.110 Fuze, Mark I.L. The strip of paper round the base of the case covers two small holes which are gas escape vents, since the flash of the primer is only meant to ignite the Bickford fuze and not blow it out of the case.

- Unknown. I think it is either a propulsive round or an igniter but it is difficult to be certain. The headstamp is simply "R^L II" but with the "II" in the two o'clock position. I do not believe it is a normal Cordite Mark II blank either. Any ideas anyone?

One point worth mentioning is that the nasty" .303s containing detonators are all full length un-necked cases, as the dets are too long to fit in a shouldered case.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-72290000-1342018481_thumb.jp

The igniter with delay was quite a complicated set-up I wonder how many were made, I have never come across any in the (a) field.