Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allied Victory Medals

Sepoy

US Victory Medals with numerous bars used to be common and relatively inexpensive at UK medal fairs and markets. I've been out of touch with collectiing, are the bars commonly faked?

It's worth looking out for the lesser known Italian Victory medals with date bars. I'm aware that 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918 exist.

Yes unfortunately the rarer bars are very easily faked. Prices have risen for these. I know it is no real guide but there are some original medals on e-bay at the moment - from a reputable London dealler... He is asking £245 for the original medal and West Indies Bar!. The land campaign bars are not as expensive and you can usually pick up a good 3 or 4 bar medal with "standard" bars for much less than a hundred quid.

The Italian Victory medal is quite easily obtained but the date bars are now quite hard to find.

Sorry I did mean an Italian Victory with date bars is rare, not the medal itself, as far as I know the bars were unofficial but the examples of bars from different sources were the same pattern.

I'm in the process of moving stuff between houses so it will give me a chance to see if I have anything of the collection left.

I was not aware of the Italian Victory Medal having date bars - do you mean the Italian War Medal which was issued with date bars???

Unfortunately, I cannot get to my examples at present to scan...

Sepoy

No the Italian War Medal has the date on the diagonal, the dates on these bars were straight, but with the same ends.

A very interesting thread and good to see such clear examples of the Victory Medal which was often referred to as the Allied War Medal because the same basic design and double rainbow ribbon was adopted by thirteen other allied Nations,to obviate the exchange of Allied Commemorative War Medals. (though the USA alone issued it with campaign clasps).

According to the Medal Year Book: The Union of South Africa produced a version with a reverse text in English and Dutch(not Afrikaans as sometimes stated in Medal books) see post 2 for example.

I am sure you will have spotted the word Civilisation spelt as Civilization - posts 4 and 5.

Most British Victory Medals in miniature(dress medals) correctly spell Civilisation although occasionally variants turn up of the British Victory Medal in miniature with Civilization on the reverse. Has anybody got such a miniature example they could post?

• 5 months later...

If you are lucky you might still be able to find a copy of The Interallied Victory Medals of WW1 by Laslo.

• 4 months later...

It has been a while since I added anything to this topic but here is the Portuguese Victory Medal

post-55476-0-10849400-1372965371_thumb.j

post-55476-0-00568900-1372965458_thumb.j

The one which would make my day is the Brazilian Victory Medal (Not, unfortunately, in my collection):

7dec_910.jpg7dec_111.jpg

(Credit to the Gentleman's Military Interest Club for the original photos)

Staffsyeoman - I wish I could afford one!!! In fact it is one of the few occasions I would accept a reproduction to fill a hole....

Here is the Cuban Victory Medal

post-55476-0-08374700-1373016635_thumb.j

post-55476-0-88461400-1373016694_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...