Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allied Victory Medals

Sepoy

I have recently been scanning through the Cigarette Cards showing WW1 Medals added by Lancashire Fusiliers and thought it would be an interesting idea to start a pictorial threads of Great War Medals. To start the ball rolling I have posted some scans of medals from my collection.

Here is the British Empire version together with a scan showing the Mention in Despatches Oak leaf and another showing the South African bi lingual reverse

post-55476-0-65673800-1338211558_thumb.j

post-55476-0-70454900-1338211680_thumb.j

post-55476-0-57143300-1338211767_thumb.j

post-55476-0-66509400-1338211862_thumb.j

In no particular order

Japanese Victory Medal together with a close up of Japanese eye and hook mount

post-55476-0-29023200-1338212137_thumb.j

post-55476-0-19528300-1338212178_thumb.j

post-55476-0-93209600-1338212230_thumb.j

I didn't realise the victory medals had common colours. Who decided on them and do they have any particular significance?

cheers Martin B

I didn't realise the victory medals had common colours. Who decided on them and do they have any particular significance?

cheers Martin B

The double rainbow colours supposedly represent a new era and the calm after the storm of the war and also to represent the combined colours of all the allied nations. There was a variation of the Victory Medal ribbon which was tested before agreement on the of the joint double rainbow ribbon seen on Victory Medals of all the allies.

Is it true that the concept of the interallied Victory Medal was conceived by one of the French commanders, either Foch or Joffre?

Regards,

Joseph

Excellent thread and great photographs, so much better and far more interesting to see the real thing than the artwork on the cigarette cards.

Hopefully, other members will also post photographs of their medals.

Regards,

LF

The Type I British Victory Medal issued up to December 1920 and then replaced by the Type II issue that is illustrated in the first post of this thread. The Type I VM was replaced because of the dark 'chocolate' color, the lack of definition in the design due to sand-blasting of the planchet, and the soldered suspension which was easily broken.

post-765-0-55835400-1338839511_thumb.gif

Be very careful if you are purchasing these medals, all of the allied medals have been reproduced to a high standard, although there is a poor copy of a Siam example being offered on ebay at the moment for 245 quid.

Thank you for adding to this topic. Auchonvillierssomme is correct in stating that some of the Allied Victory Medals have been reproduced to a high standard and I make certain that my rarer examples have been acquired through reputable dealers or auction houses. It should also be noted that there were also a wide number of unofficial versions produced which make this an interesting area.

Unfortunately, Victory Medals awarded by Siam, Cuba, and Brazil are financially beyond my pocket

Sorry Sepoy I wasn't commenting on the originality of your examples. More the ones you have mentioned, I believe there were only 1500 issued for Siam so not very likely that one will turn up in a bargain box, surprisingly a Japanese example did but they aren't as rare as people may think. My collection went the same way as my 3rd Reich collection when the copies became perfect. They have always been relatively expensive, 25 years ago i paid around 200 quid for a Brazilian example.

I believe that this photo of a US Army nurse shows the early style of Victory ribbonwhich consisted of a number of solid bars of different colours. I have not been able to identify the second ribbon. The medal is the US Red Cross medal for overseas service.

scan0002.jpg

Nice photograph.

I have attached a scan of a British ribbon bar including the 1914 (14-15) Star; British War Medal and early version of the Victory Medal ribbon - it was made up of the colours of the Allies. I have posted this photograph before but cannot find the original topic. There was a suggestion made that these bars were made for the 1919 Armistice in London, prior to the final discision on the Victory Medal Ribbon.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-01667800-1339008154_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
I have attached a scan of a British ribbon bar including the 1914 (14-15) Star; British War Medal and early version of the Victory Medal ribbon - it was made up of the colours of the Allies. I have posted this photograph before but cannot find the original topic. There was a suggestion made that these bars were made for the 1919 Armistice in London, prior to the final discision on the Victory Medal Ribbon.

I have another version of an early ribbon for the Victory Medal, believe this one was very short lived, and only used in a few states in the US, and only on ribbon bars.

The Victory ribbon is on the left with the Veterans of Foriegn Wars ribbon on the right.

Steve

post-68223-0-84361300-1341486146_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Really Great quality close-up photo's Sepoy thanks for posting.

To the besty of my knowledge it was French Marshal Ferdinand Foch who came up with the idea of a "common" victory medal design for the allied participants. I agree that some of the rarest medals are generally impossible to find now and are basically museum pieces. Belgium, Brazil, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Siam, Union of South Africa and the USA all had this medal but for Brazil and Siam they only struck about 2,500 & 1,500 respectively. The medal itself is not difficult to forge.

The most interesting example is the American one - although they only came in at the back end of the war they still managed to create 13 different battle bars for the land campaigns. (Some of these are now rare).

A full selection where also created for the Navy plus bars for no-operation combat for both Services.

Unfortunately like most foreign awards these are not named!.

Heres one with 19 bars.

I believe 6 bars was the maximum possible.

post-11859-0-62603000-1345616478_thumb.j

I suspect that that is a museum example as clearly those bars could of not been earned or the medal worn. As that stands I suspect the value of that medal would be in the thousands just for the rarer bars. Wish I had it!!!.