Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Less commonly seen Great War Rifle

4thGordons

Apple, to answer your question; yes, Lee Harvey Oswald used a 6.5. However, it was is a different cartridge than the Greek 6.5mm; Lee Harvey Oswald used the 6.5x52mm Italian Carcano.

I miss the days when surplus military rifles were in every department store and hardware store!

Toby

All the Greek Mannlichers were foreign made, either by Steyr or by Breda (although some believe that Breda used parts supplied by Steyr to assemble the Y1903/14/27).

Until Chris posted pictures of his rifle and I bought mine, I would have stated that this front sight protector was only seen on the 1930 System Greek carbines made by Steyr. Y1903 rifles in their original configuration with solid proveniences only have the simple blade front sight. At this point I feel that any use of the protector on rifles was a post war (1930 and after) replacement/modification.

I have not seen this style of protector on any other rifle/carbine. It would be interesting to read the logic behind the design. It is a milled piece and a complex design.

Jeff

Jeff,

thank you. I will keep my eyes open in the future. although I am now priced out of the market!

Regards