Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Btn Y & L Photo

saw119

Then from what I understand you need to look at the original medal roll for the East Lancs regt. The page numbers are referenced on his MIC. The medal roll usually tells you which btn. the soldier served in. Unfortunately, the medal rolls are not online and have to be looked at in person at the National Archives at Kew. You could try posting a request to see if anyone has the East Lancs medal roll or can do a lookup for you while they are there.

Then from what I understand you need to look at the original medal roll for the East Lancs regt. The page numbers are referenced on his MIC. The medal roll usually tells you which btn. the soldier served in. Unfortunately, the medal rolls are not online and have to be looked at in person at the National Archives at Kew. You could try posting a request to see if anyone has the East Lancs medal roll or can do a lookup for you while they are there.

saw119, Thanks I have put on a request, see if anyone can find more information.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180101

It's a long shot. If you really want to find out you will probably have to make the trip yourself I'm afraid. Back on the subject of the photo though, it seems that you're g Grandfather may not have seen service in the y & l's after all. Perhaps he was drafted out of the reserve btn. into the East Lancs?

Right i did go myself.. In the end.

For one his medal card had the number wrong suppose to be b24.

However, his picture as corporal, medal roll says cpl and 2nd east lancs, but medal was inscribed pte, theatre of war is scribbled in pencil and looks like two letters. I have a pic of it, pm maybe?

In 1915 he was in reserve, as corporal was 1919

After looking at his brothers war pension record, it says thomas butler 45371 of the 3rd yorks and lancs regiment. So now im confused!!

No year on it though i would have thought it would be 1918

Nothing too much to worry about there. The 3rd Btn. Y & L was a reserve btn. which fits and pension records are something of a misnomer anyway. They were not created after the war but are simply the parts of the service records that had been moved to the Pension records office and escaped the bombing which destroyed 70% of service records. The page you are looking at was probably created before Thomas had entered a theatre of war. It would have been created when his brother signed up.