Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flora Sandes

spoons

As a curmudgeon who likes to complain about the BBC, let me say how impressed I am with a feature on the BBC news website which depicts the experience of this extraordinary woman, and which goes a long way to give prominence to the whys and wherefores of the warfare between Serbs, Bulgarians and Austro-Germans  in the Great War.  There is a powerful reminder of the tremendous effort made by Serbian people to commemorate the awful ordeal of their population : that Britain provided a woman to make her mark in such a struggle in a manner so unconventional is something worthy of proper tribute, and the BBC has done a wonderful job here.  Go to the BBC news website, and scroll though the vignettes of Serbia’s war, and I think you will be as impressed as I have been.  

The story of Flora Sandes has made its impact on me.  I’m all too keen to grumble about the BBC’s fervent espousal of gender issues....when it comes to this story, and the way that it’s been promulgated, let me give honour where it’s due.  Well done , Auntie !

Phil

• 6 months later...

I just came across a newspaper report about her son handing in her pistol to the police in 1969.

If anyone wants to read it then send me an EMail or message.

• 2 years later...

Good afternoon, 

just reading the posts as they came over the years and this encourages me to read her biography and above all the article of Janet Lee mentionned on page 2. The opposing idea of her being a soldier who moved up the ranks on merit on the one hand and an opportunistic, egoistical camp-follower on the other is interesting. 

The answer surely lies somewhere within these two extremes. 

M.

Lots of reports about her in the BNA and newspapers.com. 

There is a picture of her pistol (damaged by shrapnel which wounded her and this one of her    clipping_84900024.pdf).

Crewe Chronicle - Thursday 04 September 1969

Edited by mbriscoe