Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flora Sandes

spoons

Incorrect information removed

• 1 year later...

Hi, Can any one help please, I am trying to find the last resting place of FLORA SANDES (Mrs Yuri Yudenitch) who served with the Serbian Army during WW1 an eventually married a Serbian Officer. We know she came back to England after her husbads death and settled in the Suffolk area. Can anyone help please?

Googling her name (though with the variation "Flora Yudenich) bourhg up this site http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A5849120 which says she was living near Thornton Heath, Suffolk.

A look at the on-line Oxford Dictionary of National Biography reveals that:

"Flora Sandes-Yudenitch died from obstructive jaundice at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital, Anglesea Road, Ipswich, on 24 November 1956. She was cremated on 27 November at the Ipswich crematorium and her ashes were placed in the garden of remembrance."

I copied the DNB entry, so let me know if you wish me to send it to you as a PM ("personal message").

She sounds an amazing person.

Angela

mo44th, do you know of any independent sources about Flora Sandes? The few things I have found are all based on her own diaries/writings.

Facinating to read this post. Sad to say I know very little of this lady but will make a pint of reading up on her.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards

John

Hi,

Flora Sandes was the subject of a book entitled "The Lovely Sergeant", written by Alan Burgess, published in the 1960s.

Regards,

Martin

Facinating to read this post. Sad to say I know very little of this lady but will make a pint of reading up on her.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards

John

Hello John, :rolleyes:

Bet you can't remember Jiim and I! We stayed at Rose Cottage three years ago with Annie & Alan Read. I was the Scottish one looking for a great uncle. (I did find him in Doullon, and visited last year.) We also showed up with the western Front lot from Southend the following year at the Memorial Service by the woods.

Jim has been on a mission to find out about Flora Sandes. Try to get a copy of 'the Lovely Sergeant' by Alan Burgess. This tells of her life with the Serbian Army. She died in Ipswitch & East Suffolk hospital as a very old lady. I have been told by someone who replied to my message that she was cremated and her ashes are in a garden of rememberance. Jim and I will be checking that out shortly. We also got some newspaper clippings from the Suffolk Records office, which I have not read yet. I will pass on more when I get the chance.

Best wishes to them all in the Village and raise a pint or three for us in the Cafe

Regards

Alison :D

Googling her name (though with the variation "Flora Yudenich) bourhg up this site http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A5849120 which says she was living near Thornton Heath, Suffolk.

"Flora Sandes-Yudenitch died from obstructive jaundice at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital, Anglesea Road, Ipswich, on 24 November 1956. She was cremated on 27 November at the Ipswich crematorium and her ashes were placed in the garden of remembrance."

I copied the DNB entry, so let me know if you wish me to send it to you as a PM ("personal message").

Angela

Hello Angela

Theank you for the information, I am collecting bits and pieces from all over the place and am amazed at the interest in my question. I would love to have and information you can supply,

I have received some newspaper clipping from Suffolk Records Office but have not had a chance to read them yet, and am waiting to hear from acouople of other sources as well. so watch this space.

Tahnks for your interest.

Regards

Alison :lol:

Hi,

Flora Sandes was the subject of a book entitled "The Lovely Sergeant", written by Alan Burgess, published in the 1960s.

Regards,

Martin

Hello there,

Thank you for that Martin, I am doing this for my other half who has read the book, and I am trying to prise it off him to have a read. But, I have forund out as few mor bits about the Lovely Sergeant which I have not had a chance to have a look at yet so watch this space.

Thanks again

Alison

mo44th, do you know of any independent sources about Flora Sandes? The few things I have found are all based on her own diaries/writings.

Hello there,

I contacted Suffold Record Office, which holds copies of newpaper clippings. they also pointed me at the local church at Wickham Market and the surrounding area. I have had some feed back and shall post bits when I have had a chance to read them.

Regards

Alison :rolleyes:

Angela

Hello angella,

Thanks for your info. Can you please send me PM my eamil is haljisar@aol.com.

I wait in anticipation. Thanks

Alison

• 1 year later...

I have read some of her diaries and "The Lovely Sergeant" which is based heavily on them. Is there any independent corroboration of anything she wrote? I hate to be cynical but I found it all rather wearing sfter a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually commissioned she ended up as a major in the Jugoslavian army. She also found time to marry a fellow officer.

She was a very odd woman, from her writings. There are paragraphs along the lines of:

"The sergeant told me I couldn't join the attack the next day, and I replied that I wouldn't accept that as I insisted on being treated like any other private in the army and he went away. I woke my groom and ordered him to fetch my horse. When it came I left my cottage and rode through the night to the colonel's quarters. As I rode I realised the mounds in the snow were my fellow privates, how lucky they were that they were attacking tomorrow! I reached the colonel's hut and woke him by shouting at him until he gave in and finally I was treated the same as everyone else."

I exagerate but you get the gist. The only source I am aware of for her exploits are her own writings.

Just to add a bit of pedantry to the thread, could I mention that her surname was actually Sandes and not Sanders. A good sign of a little known woman! B)

Sue

• 4 weeks later...
Flora Sanders, an Englishwoman in her forties fought in the trenches with the Serbian army during WW I. Awarded Serbia's highest military decoration, the Kara George Star

From the Canadian Libraries Internet Archive.

Joe

http://www.archive.org/details/englishwomanserg00sanduoft

Hi Joe, Major Flora Sandes-Yudinich was a 39 yr old who went to Serbia as a VAD, and when under attack demanded to stay with her patients. She was told she could not do this as she was not in the military, so she joined the Serbian Army, had a very illustrious career ending with her being decorated with the Karageorge Star which is the Serbian equiv. of our Victoria Cross. (Not to be sneezed at)She married a Russian Officer named Yudinich. She was a very brave resourceful and intellegent lady who worked hard for the Serbian people and is held in high esteen by them.

My husband and I researched the lady and I had several discussions on this forum about her a while back. We even found a pub in Thornton Heath named after her. She eventually retired back to England to her home village of Wickham Market, Suffolk where she died in her 80's. She was cremated in Ipswich and her ashes scattered in the gardens as per her wishes.

A good book to get the gist of the lady is 'The Lovely Sergeant'

Regards

Alison

I have just read the BBC article quoted and there are several inaccuracies in it, First, Thornton Heath is in South London, not Suffolk. There is a pub in Thornton Heath named the 'Flora Sandes' right opposite the station. with very little info on who the place is named afteror why. Also Flora Sandes-Yudinich died at Wickham Market Suffolk. was cremated at Ipswich and her ashes scattered in the gardens there, There is a small memorial marker to her in the gardens. There is also Brass Memorial plaques commemorating her Father who had been in charge of 3 local churches in the area before moving his family to Thornton Heath. Beneath which is a plaque to the memory of Flora Sandes-Yudinich, Karagoerge Star and various other decorations. The local archives at Wickham Market have quite a bit of information on her and are very helpful. They also have their own website. www.wickhammarket,com. My husband and I paid them a visit and had a great day out. Be prepared for a strange detour to find her fathers church though but worth the effort. Happy hunting, she is an intriquing lady

Regards Alison

I believe that Mrs Mabel Stobart, while not a soldier, was commissioned Major in the Serbian army for her work out there.

In 'Miracles and Adventures' she describes how in 1915 she was given the rank of Major in the Serbian army and put in sole charge of a full (retreating) hospital column. She decided not to be called Major, but ‘Maika’, the Serbian word for mother: “The word ‘Maika’ was already, to Serbian hearts, rich with impressions of the best qualities of the old-fashioned woman; it would do no harm to add to this a few impressions of qualities of authority and power not hitherto associated with women.”

You can't always believe what Mabel says in her books, but she was a pretty amazing woman, and other sources have her down as a Serbian army Major.

Jennian

Apologies for not responding earlier but I didn't get an email saying that someone had responded to my posting. She does sound a very intersting lady but I have to shamefully admit that I had not heard of her until I read the BBC article :blush:

Centurion, I am happy to have the two threads combined, is that someting that I can do or do I need to contact the Mod team?

Thanks

Anth

• 2 years later...