Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying my great uncle's cap badge

gwendraith

I hope someone can help. I am trying to identify my great uncle from family photos. I have one photograph which was in my grandfather's belongings and I believe it might be his younger brother Alex who was killed in action at Combles on the Somme on 13th September 1916 aged 19. Also in my grandfather's belongings was a R.B Queenborough postcard from Alex in 1915 to say he was going to visit them that week.

How annoying that identifying names weren't always written on the backs of photos. He joined the Rifle Brigade in May 1915 and was in the 6th Btn (at Queenborough if the postcard is anything to go by) and presumably for training or was that a reserve battalion? Stamped on the top of his Short Service enlistment form is 6th Btn R.B. On the bottom of the form the enrolling officer has written that he approved his appointment to the King's Royal Rifle Corps R.B.

I believe the attached photo was taken shortly after enlisting. Is that a Rifle Brigade cap badge? Later in 1915 he was posted to France with the 9th Btn RB (Queen Victoria's Rifles) and stayed with them until he was killed at Combles. Is that a different cap badge? His records also have notes of medals sent to his father: The 1914-1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal, would that be correct? It's a shame I don't have those.

The only other family members in the London Regiment were my grandmother's brothers who both joined the Civil Service Rifles and survived. I think that might be a different cap badge to the R.B one.

All these rifle battalions are confusing! :)

EDA: So, could he have been in the 6th Btn initially at Queenborough and then transferred to the 9th when he was posted to France? is that what used to happen?

post-80298-0-21849700-1331762869.jpg

Civil Service Rifles and survived. I think that might be a different cap badge to the R.B one.

Hi Gwen

I would go along with Rifle Brigade :thumbsup:, the 15th County of London Battalion "Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles" a wore a black Prince of Wales plumes, with a coronet, cap badge, see photo

Rifleman S/10445 Rifle Brigade ( The Prince Consorts Own ) 9th Battalion.

Born; Plaistow. Enlisted; St Pauls Churchyard, Middx. Resident; Plaistow. Killed in Action 13/09/1916

Regards.

Gerwyn

140.jpg

Looks like the standard Rifle Brigade badge to me

khaki

experts coming from support lines no doubt.

Thanks. That helps to narrow it down :)

I would go along with Rifle Brigade :thumbsup:

Civil Service Rifles and survived. I think that might be a different cap badge to the R.B one.

Hi Gwen

the 15th County of London Battalion "Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles" a wore a black Prince of Wales plumes, with a coronet, cap badge, see photo

Rifleman S/10445 Rifle Brigade ( The Prince Consorts Own ) 9th Battalion.

Born; Plaistow. Enlisted; St Pauls Churchyard, Middx. Resident; Plaistow. Killed in Action 13/09/1916

Thank you. That rules out the Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles then :)

Yes, that's my uncle S/10445 and he enlisted at St Paul's Churchyard. Off to see his grave in June.

Hi Gwen. I hope to visit my Great Uncle Harry's grave :poppy: this year, not booked the ferry yet. Regards. Gerwyn

Hi Gwen. I hope to visit my Great Uncle Harry's grave :poppy: this year, not booked the ferry yet. Regards. Gerwyn

Smashing! Have you been before? I am taking Eurostar and then TGV to a station close to Combles where the owners of my B&B will pick me up :) The graveyard looks beautiful from what I've seen on photos poppy.gif

Regards

Holly

Smashing! Have you been before? I am taking Eurostar and then TGV to a station close to Combles where the owners of my B&B will pick me up :) The graveyard looks beautiful from what I've seen on photos poppy.gif

Regards

Holly

Hi Holly

My wife Lynne and I have been going over now since 1995, not always to Belgium, where Harry's buried :poppy: , we have stayed at Rose Cottage and Dinakken House in the Somme, I do all the driving, we have gone over with Eurostar, Seacat. Ferry and Hovercraft, I don't now do the same amount of driving as I did do out there.

" off to pick up my Grandchildren from school"

Kind regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Holly

My wife Lynne and I have been going over now since 1995, not always to Belgium, where Harry's buried :poppy: , we have stayed at Rose Cottage and Dinakken House in the Somme, I do all the driving, we have gone over with Eurostar, Seacat. Ferry and Hovercraft, I don't now do the same amount of driving as I did do out there.

" off to pick up my Grandchildren from school"

Kind regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Gerwyn

You and Lynne are old hands at this then :) I do drive but haven't the courage to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road for the first time on my own! I'm such a woosette :) I have only recently found out about Alex whilst building my family tree. I'd been wondering what happened to this brother of my grandfather's. I am staying at Orchard farmhouse which coincidently is only 700 yards from where I think Alex was killed according to the war diariespoppy.gif.

Kind regards,

Holly

My littel grandson has just turned one so isn't ready for school yet.

Hi Holly,

I should have said Eurotunnel not Eurostar :blush: , on the Rhondda Valley roads, your very rerely driving on the left hand side, it will be a very moving experience for you, when you visit your Uncle Alex Grave :poppy:, my Grandchildren are thirteen, nine, eight and six, two girls and two boys.

Kind regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Holly,

I should have said Eurotunnel not Eurostar :blush: , on the Rhondda Valley roads, your very rerely driving on the left hand side, it will be a very moving experience for you, when you visit your Uncle Alex Grave :poppy:, my Grandchildren are thirteen, nine, eight and six, two girls and two boys.

Kind regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Gerwyn,

Those grandchildren keep you feeling young then? :) I met a couple from South Wales when I was in Ypres in the pub by the Menin Gate. They took their camper van to Ypres every year and loved it.

Regards,

Holly

I hope someone can help. I am trying to identify my great uncle from family photos. I have one photograph which was in my grandfather's belongings and I believe it might be his younger brother Alex who was killed in action at Combles on the Somme on 13th September 1916 aged 19. Also in my grandfather's belongings was a R.B Queenborough postcard from Alex in 1915 to say he was going to visit them that week.

How annoying that identifying names weren't always written on the backs of photos. He joined the Rifle Brigade in May 1915 and was in the 6th Btn (at Queenborough if the postcard is anything to go by) and presumably for training or was that a reserve battalion? Stamped on the top of his Short Service enlistment form is 6th Btn R.B. On the bottom of the form the enrolling officer has written that he approved his appointment to the King's Royal Rifle Corps R.B.

I believe the attached photo was taken shortly after enlisting. Is that a Rifle Brigade cap badge? Later in 1915 he was posted to France with the 9th Btn RB (Queen Victoria's Rifles) and stayed with them until he was killed at Combles. Is that a different cap badge? His records also have notes of medals sent to his father: The 1914-1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal, would that be correct? It's a shame I don't have those.

The only other family members in the London Regiment were my grandmother's brothers who both joined the Civil Service Rifles and survived. I think that might be a different cap badge to the R.B one.

All these rifle battalions are confusing! :)

EDA: So, could he have been in the 6th Btn initially at Queenborough and then transferred to the 9th when he was posted to France? is that what used to happen?

I am wondering if there is some confusion here between the Rifle Brigade (Regulars) and the London Regiment (Territorials). The 6th London Regiment (City of London Rifles) formed three battalions in WW1, 1/6th, 2/6th and 3/6th. I enclose the regimental badge.

During the First World War, both the 1/6th and 2/6th Battalions served in France and Belgium, while the 3/6th became the 6th (Reserve) Battalion in 1916. Also in 1916 the 'Rifles' became part of the KRRC. In 1935 they transferred to the Royal Engineers as 31 Anti Aircraft Battalion.

The fact that the battalion(s) became part of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in 1916 seems to fit with your family folklore.

post-599-0-72063700-1332004368.jpg

It is quite possible that he was moved to the 9th Londons (Queen Victoria's Rifles) as these too became part of the King's Royal Rifle Corps (Regulars) in 1916. You can see that the badge is very similar. It was not uncommon for men to change battalion, either at their own request, or in order to replace casualties.

post-599-0-62311400-1332004770.jpg

The Rifle Brigade (Regulars) badge looked like this (enclosed) but there were also a number of battalions of the London Regiment who wore a similar badge that are difficult to tell apart from a distance.

post-599-0-91312100-1332005037.jpg

One example is the 8th London Regiment (Post Office Rifles). This was a Territorial battalion like all the London Regiment, but in 1916 it became a part of the Rifle Brigade (just as the 6th and 9th became parts of the King's Royal Rifle Corps).

post-599-0-77851200-1332005289.jpg

Another was the 17th London Regiment.

It seems that if the photo that you posted is indeed your relative then it is possible that he was in the London Regiment, in one of the battalions with a badge like the Rifle Brigade (e.g. 8th and 17th) and then later transferred to the 9th London Regt, whose badge is more like that of the King's Royal Rifle Corps that it later became a part of.

post-599-0-94530800-1332005756.jpg

[quote name='FROGSMILE' timestamp='1332005774' post='1727210

It seems that if the photo that you posted is indeed your relative then it is possible that he was in the London Regiment, in one of the battalions with a badge like the Rifle Brigade (e.g. 8th and 17th) and then later transferred to the 9th London Regt, whose badge is more like that of the King's Royal Rifle Corps that it later became a part of.

Frogsmile

Thank you so much for all your input on this. It's been rather confusing for me but you have explained some helpful facts.

All I know is that Alex was in the 9th Btn when he died at Combles. I am making an assumption that it was there as he is in the cemetery at Combles and the war diaries have the 9th Btn R.B. (QVRs?) there at the time. On his military records (short service record) he signed up for the duration of the war at St Paul's Churchyard 7th May 1915. S/10445 John Alexander Evans. The document has stamped 6th BTN R.B. on the top and the enlisting officer has written approved for The Kings Royal Rifle Corps R.B on the bottom, which as you mentioned earlier, fits. On his somewhat damaged service record it states that he was posted to the Rifle Brigade 6th on 15 May 1915 and then to Rifle Brigade 9th Batt with no date. The 9th has an S, I think, in brackets . On 7th October 1915 it says British Expeditionary Force and still with the 9th. The officer certifying the correctness of the entry belonged to the 6th Btn R.B.

The last but one lists him as rejoining his battalion (9RB) in June 1916 after being wounded in action and then the final entry is killed in action on 13th September 1916. poppy.gif

The photo might not be him of course but my grandparents had it. My grandfather (Alex's elder brother) was in the Pay Corps and the photo definitely isn't him and two other brothers were in the RGA (a career soldier) and the other one in 21st London, The King's Liverpool Regiment (for the duration of the war). He was Alex's twin brother.

One of my grandmother's brothers enlisted (Territorial Force) in the Labour Corps and doesn't seem to have seen action. The other brother was in 15th Battalion The London Regiment and saw action.

The only other evidence is a postcard of a Rifle Brigade Soldier at Queenborough which states "Don't be alarmed, the Rifle Brigade are 'On Guard' at Queenborough" . Great uncle Alex had sent it my grandparents to let them know he would be calling in the see them that weekend. I can't see him sending that if he wasn't at Queenorough (the family lived in east London). But who knows.

I suppose the photo might be one of my grandmother's brothers and not Alex, maybe Bertie in the 15th Btn, London Regiment although I thought their cap badge was feathers.

I find the 9th Btn R.B. is little confusing. Were they the London Regiment, the KRRC or the QVRs or some or all? Was a Short Service enlistment different to the Territorial Force? That might explain why I am confused. The 6th were a reserve Btn at Sheerness weren't they? Did that mean they served as a 'feeder' for other battalions or, as you said, to replace men killed at the front? Alex could have been sent there initially and then transferred to the 9th? Questions, questions

:)

Kind regards,

Holly

P.S. It makes a little more sense since you said that the Rifles became a part of the KRRs in 1916 and that explains why I was confused about the QVR part.

Frogsmile

Thank you so much for all your input on this. It's been rather confusing for me but you have explained some helpful facts.

All I know is that Alex was in the 9th Btn when he died at Combles. I am making an assumption that it was there as he is in the cemetery at Combles and the war diaries have the 9th Btn R.B. (QVRs?) there at the time. On his military records (short service record) he signed up for the duration of the war at St Paul's Churchyard 7th May 1915. S/10445 John Alexander Evans. The document has stamped 6th BTN R.B. on the top and the enlisting officer has written approved for The Kings Royal Rifle Corps R.B on the bottom, which as you mentioned earlier, fits. On his somewhat damaged service record it states that he was posted to the Rifle Brigade 6th on 15 May 1915 and then to Rifle Brigade 9th Batt with no date. The 9th has an S, I think, in brackets . On 7th October 1915 it says British Expeditionary Force and still with the 9th. The officer certifying the correctness of the entry belonged to the 6th Btn R.B.

The last but one lists him as rejoining his battalion (9RB) in June 1916 after being wounded in action and then the final entry is killed in action on 13th September 1916. poppy.gif

The photo might not be him of course but my grandparents had it. My grandfather (Alex's elder brother) was in the Pay Corps and the photo definitely isn't him and two other brothers were in the RGA (a career soldier) and the other one in 21st London, The King's Liverpool Regiment (for the duration of the war). He was Alex's twin brother.

One of my grandmother's brothers enlisted (Territorial Force) in the Labour Corps and doesn't seem to have seen action. The other brother was in 15th Battalion The London Regiment and saw action.

The only other evidence is a postcard of a Rifle Brigade Soldier at Queenborough which states "Don't be alarmed, the Rifle Brigade are 'On Guard' at Queenborough" . Great uncle Alex had sent it my grandparents to let them know he would be calling in the see them that weekend. I can't see him sending that if he wasn't at Queenorough (the family lived in east London). But who knows.

I suppose the photo might be one of my grandmother's brothers and not Alex, maybe Bertie in the 15th Btn, London Regiment although I thought their cap badge was feathers.

I find the 9th Btn R.B. is little confusing. Were they the London Regiment, the KRRC or the QVRs or some or all? Was a Short Service enlistment different to the Territorial Force? That might explain why I am confused. The 6th were a reserve Btn at Sheerness weren't they? Did that mean they served as a 'feeder' for other battalions or, as you said, to replace men killed at the front? Alex could have been sent there initially and then transferred to the 9th? Questions, questions

:)

Kind regards,

Holly

P.S. It makes a little more sense since you said that the Rifles became a part of the KRRs in 1916 and that explains why I was confused about the QVR part.

Holly, you are unsurprisingly totally confused between the London Regiment, which was a Territorial Regiment and the two Regular Regiments - the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigade. The problem is because uniquely in 1914, the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigade did not have Territorial Battalions like all the other British infantry regiments (except Guards). Instead they had an affiliation with the London Regiment that was only formed in 1908 and which was, unusually, an entirely Territorial Regiment with no directly linked Regular Regiment. The loose affiliation did not work very well and so in 1916 it was totally formalised by dividing the battalions of the London Regiment among various Regular Regiments. The bulk went to the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigade, but some also went to other Regular Regiments.

Your explanation is even more complicated because either you have misunderstood some of the records, or else the recording officer was utterly confused himself. Alex could not have been in the Rifle Brigade (RB) and the Kings Royal Rifle Corps simultaneously. He could however, have started with the Rifle Brigade and then transferred to the 9th Londons (QVR) after (1916), when they became a constituent part of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

The 6th Rifle Brigade - Regulars (not 6th Londons - Territorials) were indeed a Reserve Battalion. There was a third type of battalion that was created for hostilities only and was neither Regular, nor Territorial. They were known instead as Service battalions and as such an 'S' appeared in brackets after their unit title. The 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade (not 9th Londons) were a Service Battalion.

I can only suggest that you review everything that you have and clarify in your mind, what was Regular (if any), what was Territorial (London Regt battalions) and what was a 'Service' (hostilities only) battalion.

Your explanation is even more complicated because either you have misunderstood some of the records or else the recording officer was utterly confused himself. Alex could not have been in the Rifle Brigade (RB) and the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigadeimultaneously. He could however have started with the Rifle Brigade and then transferred to the 9th Londons (QVR) after (1916) they became formally a part of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

The 6th Rifle Brigade - Regulars (not 6th Londons - Territorials) were indeed a Reserve Battalion. There was a third type of battalion that was created for hostilities only and was neither Regular, nor Territorial. They were known instead as Service battalions and as such an 'S' appeared in brackets after their unit title. The 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade (not 9th Londons) were a Service Battalion.

I can only suggest that you review everything that you have and clarify in your mind, what was Regular (if any), what was Territorial (London Regt battalions) and what was 'Service' (hostilities only).

I can email you the military record short service enlistment and postings documents if you like, I might have misunderstood them Or, if you have ancestry.co.uk his military records etc are found under S/10445 John Alexander Evans.

What his military records appear to say is that Alex joined the 6th Btn R.B. which is stamped at the top of the page. (The KRRs at the bottom of the page seems like a red herring if you say he can't have been in the R.B and the KRRs). It says KRRs in handwriting and then R.B is stamped after it. At some point he might have gone to Queenborough (near Sheerness) which is where the 6th Btn (reserves) KRRs were although because he sent a R.B Queensborough postcard doesn't mean he was there. It just seems a bit odd if he wasn't there to send that particular postcard. He was then posted to the 9th (S) Btn (R.B. according to the document) and then to the 9th Btn R.B. All his medal documents and correspondence to his father and other documentation say he was in the 9th Btn R.B. So, not the Londons - Territorials. I understand the difference now although the mention of R.B and KRRs on his enlistment form is confusing. Because of all the other document evidence I'm petty certain he was in the 9th Btn R.B. It's just unclear what he was in when he enlisted and of course I'd like to confirm that the photo with the apparent R.B cap badge is him.

Anyway, thank you for your help and for bearing with me :)

Kind regards

Holly

I can email you the military record short service enlistment and postings documents if you like, I might have misunderstood them Or, if you have ancestry.co.uk his military records etc are found under S/10445 John Alexander Evans.

What his military records appear to say is that Alex joined the 6th Btn R.B. which is stamped at the top of the page. (The KRRs at the bottom of the page seems like a red herring if you say he can't have been in the R.B and the KRRs). It says KRRs in handwriting and then R.B is stamped after it. At some point he might have gone to Queenborough (near Sheerness) which is where the 6th Btn (reserves) KRRs were although because he sent a R.B Queensborough postcard doesn't mean he was there. It just seems a bit odd if he wasn't there to send that particular postcard. He was then posted to the 9th (S) Btn (R.B. according to the document) and then to the 9th Btn R.B. All his medal documents and correspondence to his father and other documentation say he was in the 9th Btn R.B. So, not the Londons - Territorials. I understand the difference now although the mention of R.B and KRRs on his enlistment form is confusing. Because of all the other document evidence I'm petty certain he was in the 9th Btn R.B. It's just unclear what he was in when he enlisted and of course I'd like to confirm that the photo with the apparent R.B cap badge is him.

Anyway, thank you for your help and for bearing with me :)

Kind regards

Holly

Holly I have PMd you.

6th (Reserve) Battalion Rifle Brigade

August 1914 : at Winchester. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Sheerness, going on in March 1916 to Eastchurch where it remained as part of Thames & Medway Garrison.

9th (Service) Battalion Rifle Brigade

Formed at Winchester on 21 August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 42nd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division. Moved to Aldershot, going on to Petworth in November and returned to Aldershot in February 1915.

May 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

27 April 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.

16 June 1918 : left the Division. Cadre disbanded at Desvres on 3 August 1918.

Holly I have PMd you.

6th (Reserve) Battalion Rifle Brigade

August 1914 : at Winchester. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Sheerness, going on in March 1916 to Eastchurch where it remained as part of Thames & Medway Garrison.

9th (Service) Battalion Rifle Brigade

Formed at Winchester on 21 August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 42nd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division. Moved to Aldershot, going on to Petworth in November and returned to Aldershot in February 1915.

May 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

27 April 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.

16 June 1918 : left the Division. Cadre disbanded at Desvres on 3 August 1918.

I saw the same details on Wikipedia :) He did go to France in May 1915 which seems correct. I am sending the documents now!

H.

The records show that after enlistment on the 7th May 1915 he was posted to the 6th (Reserve) Battalion of the Rifle Brigade for training. He went to France on 5th October 1915 and joined the 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade on 14th October 1915. On 6th February 1916 he suffered a few days with "Trenchfever" (Pyrexia/P.U.O.) and returned to duty with 9th R.B. on 11th February 1916. He was wounded by a gun shot wound (GSW) to the thigh on 18th May 1916 and after treatment at 42nd Field Ambulance, 37th Casualty Clearing Station and 8th General Hospital (the latter at Rouen) was released from hospital back to 14th Infantry Base Depot at Etaples on 14th June 1916. He rejoined the 9th Rifle Brigade on 16th June 1916 and was killed with them on 13th September 1916.

So Gwendraith, you need to concentrate purely on the Rifle Brigade - 6th and 9th Battalions as originally stated, and not on any of the London Regiment or K.R.R.C.

His movements are stated most clearly on image 61227.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thank you for a thorough translation of the document! I always knew he was with the 9th R.B but in trying to identify the photo things got a bit complicated :) I had worked out the GSW but had no idea about the trench fever. I expect that was caused by lice? I am reading Birdsong at the moment and it goes on at quite some length about the horrors of lice. The only questions that remain are:

Would the cap badge (apparently the R.B.) in the photo be one he would have worn with the 6th Btn (Reserve) R.B and am I right in thinking the 9th Btn R.B were known as the Queen Victoria Rifles in Sept 1916 when he was killed? poppy.gif

I am so grateful for the help I have had on this from a number of people. When I see his grave in June it will be good to know so much about him.

regards,

Holly

The records show that after enlistment on the 7th May 1915 he was posted to the 6th (Reserve) Battalion of the Rifle Brigade for training. He went to France on 5th October 1915 and joined the 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade on 14th October 1915. On 6th February 1916 he suffered a few days with "Trenchfever" (Pyrexia/P.U.O.) and returned to duty with 9th R.B. on 11th February 1916. He was wounded by a gun shot wound (GSW) to the thigh on 18th May 1916 and after treatment at 42nd Field Ambulance, 37th Casualty Clearing Station and 8th General Hospital (the latter at Rouen) was released from hospital back to 14th Infantry Base Depot at Etaples on 14th June 1916. He rejoined the 9th Rifle Brigade on 16th June 1916 and was killed with them on 13th September 1916.

So Gwendraith, you need to concentrate purely on the Rifle Brigade - 6th and 9th Battalions as originally stated, and not on any of the London Regiment or K.R.R.C.

His movements are stated most clearly on image 61227.

Steve.

Well done Steve, that is what I suspected. The KRR part was an unfortunate red herring caused by a crossed out comment on one of the forms.

Hi Steve

Thank you for a thorough translation of the document! I always knew he was with the 9th R.B but in trying to identify the photo things got a bit complicated :) I had worked out the GSW but had no idea about the trench fever. I expect that was caused by lice? I am reading Birdsong at the moment and it goes on at quite some length about the horrors of lice. The only questions that remain are:

Would the cap badge (apparently the R.B.) in the photo be one he would have worn with the 6th Btn (Reserve) R.B and am I right in thinking the 9th Btn R.B were known as the Queen Victoria Rifles in Sept 1916 when he was killed? poppy.gif

I am so grateful for the help I have had on this from a number of people. When I see his grave in June it will be good to know so much about him.

regards,

Holly

Holly,

9th Battalion, Rifle Brigade was a Service battalion in The Rifle Brigade. Hence the 'S' in brackets you mention.

The Queen Victoria Rifles were a territorial battalion historically connected to the regular rifles regiments (i.e. the King's Royal Rifle Corps and The Rifle Brigade) but in 1908 formed along with a number of other London-based territorial battalions into the London Regiment. The QVRs became the 9th battalion - i.e. 9th London Regiment, NOT 9th RB

Most of these London Regiment battalions have their roots in the Rifle Volunteer Corps movement kicked off by invasion scares in 1859. As such, there was a lot of shared tradition with the regular Rifles regiments (KRRC and RB).

The QVR's (=9th London Regiment) are a totally different unit from the 9th RB.

The QVR cap badge follows the KRRC style without the surrounding wreath seen in the RB style badges.

The badge in the photo cannot be QVRs. It is most likely the standard RB badge, but it is not possible to rule out from the picture alone those other battalions of the London Regiment (not 9/LR - the QVRs) that did wear a Rifle Brigade style cap badge.

We can rule it out from his Service Record though - your man has a straightforward record all within the Rifle Brigade

6th Battalion, Rifle Brigade was one of the Reserve battalions men were posted into for training. 6/RB wore the standard RB cap badge.

5th and 6th RB and 5th and 6th KRRC were all based in the Sheppey/Medway area (=Queenborough) and to a degree, trained together.

The KRRC and the RB are closely linked sister regiments. It was very common for men to train in a KRRC or RB Reserve battalion, and then be posted to a Service battalion in the other regiment. The comment at the foot of the Service Record document merely means the man is Approved for active service in a KRRC or a RB unit.

9/RB were in the 14th (Light) Division - one of the earlier Kitchener divisions to go out to France in mid 1915. However he was not one of the original establishment, having enlisted during 1915 and passed through the Reserve battalion process in the UK and sent out as a reinforcement to 9/RB in 14th Division who were already in the field. Several of its brigades were made up entirely of rifles battalions (i.e. from the KRRC or the RB).

14 Infantry Base Depot (IBD) at Etaples was 14th Division's base depot at the coast.

You also mention other possible candidates for the photo - I can reinforce the other Pals: it's definitely NOT a Pay Corps cap badge, nor a 15th London Regiment (Civil Service Rifles) cap badge, nor a 21st London Regiment (1st Surrey Rifles) cap badge.

I'm not sure where the King's Liverpool Regiment fits in.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark