Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German artillery troop weapons

cwbuff

I think I may have the answer. I have just found a photo reference to a "small pouch worn on the belt containing five flare cartridges" an example is shown which is a double flap long pouch. The item protruding, noted in the previous post may be the center flap roll. This would possibly also fit with "two" artillery men working as signalers. The soldier on the right is wearing a sidearm (maybe) that had puzzled me as it appears to have a very large grip (or is it an illusion), it may be that of one of the many types of flare pistols.

khaki

The 'spare cylinders' idea is an interesting one, but whereas a percussion cylinder has the powder and ball seated snugly, I think that cartridges would more than likely fall from the cylinder either in the pouch or in rapid handling. It would be a lot easier to procure a 'backup' pistol. I think the small 'telescope' is a strong possibility.

khaki

Telescopes were at least very unusual in the German Army. Hesketh-Prichard said he never came across a German one in the Great War - he put it down to most game-shooting in Germany being at short range in forests, without the long-range vistas found when stalking in Scotland. The short aspect ratio of this case would suggest a telescope of about 8 drawtubes or more, and these are rare enough in British hands - except for marine use in the first half of the 19th C - more so in German.

Could the thing even be a water bottle or similar?

Regards,

MikB

That possibility certainly can't be discounted. I believe soldiers carrying percussion revolvers in the American Civil War carried loaded spare cylinders - though Gawd knows how they managed to change 'em in action without dropping the wedge or barrel.

The Remington New Army had a top strap and it was only necessary to pull the cylinder pin forward to release the cylinder. Everything stayed together, unlike the Colt where the barrel had to be removed to access the cylinder. I am sure the same was true of other top strap revolvers.

Nigel

Bob, German artillery units were issued with one then two MG08/15s in the latter stages of the war. These were ostensibly for anti-aircraft duties.

Robert

I think the cylindrical case is for a small telescope to suppliment the low powered binoculars the men are carrying.

Although possible, it seems unlikely that a delicate instrument such as a telescope would be carried attached to the front of the body by troops expected to crawl and lie flat on their bellies, as reconnaissance squads would do.

The 'spare cylinders' idea is an interesting one, but whereas a percussion cylinder has the powder and ball seated snugly, I think that cartridges would more than likely fall from the cylinder either in the pouch or in rapid handling. It would be a lot easier to procure a 'backup' pistol. I think the small 'telescope' is a strong possibility.

khaki

The Reichsrevolver was issued with a rod that was used to poke the empty cartridges out through the front holes of the cylinders, implying a tight fit. Apparently they couldn't just be shaken out or pulled out with the fingers.

More research has shown that there were private-purchase Reichsrevolvers, so that means a soldier could buy as many guns or even cylinders as he wanted.

The Reichsrevolver was issued with a rod that was used to poke the empty cartridges out through the front holes of the cylinders, implying a tight fit. Apparently they couldn't just be shaken out or pulled out with the fingers.

More research has shown that there were private-purchase Reichsrevolvers, so that means a soldier could buy as many guns or even cylinders as he wanted.

The fired cartridges could be tight, but not usually live rounds. The brass case expands under the pressure and, depending on its state of anneal, may not spring back. Live revolver rounds will usually be an easy slide fit, and will usually fall out if the cylinder's tipped up.

But there are also frequent conditions, especially with low-pressure revolver rounds like these, where the only reason empties don't just fall out is powder clag, and lack of weight after the bullet's gone.

Private-purchase Reichsrevolvers might have been available, but that doesn't mean spare cylinders were straighforwardly obtainable. And it would be a wealthy soldier who could buy three revolvers, to give himself a couple of spare cylinders - if they fitted interchangeably.

I'm getting to the point where I'd believe almost any other explanation! :D

Regards,

MikB