Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Anglesey Engineers

thor432

1 minute ago, IANT said:

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply, that answers one question anyway of what regiment he was part of! That fits another piece of the jigsaw!

Many thanks

If you know where he was living just around that time, there is an outside chance his name might appear in a local newspaper during the war years which might give more information.

TR

The good news is that I was looking at the RARE's (No 3 Railway Company) 1914 Star roll yesterday, and on the last page there is a C.S.M. Williams

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/5119/41803_636897_11292-00124?pid=56466

The bad news is that he is 21648 Charles Williams and not your Thomas Williams. Do you have any service numbers for him? Do you know if he served in both the Boer War and the First World War?

Hi Keith,

No I think he only served in the Boer War, my understanding is that he was wounded by either a bullet or mortar and then was pensioned off due to ill health following this war. I don't have any numbers at all unfortunately!

Thanks

Edited by IANT
Adding service number

Hi Iant,

If he was in the military in mid 1918, it is likely that his name might appear in the Absent Voters' list for Caernarfonshire which is held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.

This has not been digitised unfortunately, so extracting information from it involves reading it from cover to cover.

However, if you know his address in 1918, that would help you pinpoint him, and would probably give you a 95% chance of identifying his unit and unit number.

Even knowing which parish he lived in would reduce the size of the task significantly.

Not that it's directly relevant, but I can tell you that the Anglesey AVL has been digitised and contains details of 4000 men.

55 are Thomas Williamses, 8 in the R.E., 1 in RARE.

Caernarfonshire has probably double those numbers.

Thanks Dai Bach,

I'm pretty sure he didn't go in 1914 due to the injury sustained in the Boer War, but then again who knows! There is three listed on the angloboer war, one discharged as being medically unfit, but that would be too easy if it was him right?! :D

angloboerwar.com_name-search.jpg

• 8 months later...

ive just recently found by doing ancestry that we had a relative in R A R E so i did a search and found here i believe he was there in 1901 

William H Williams it shows him on the 1901 census as a boarder 2 Steeple Lane Beaumaris where it states Sapper RARE Militia

census link