Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Anglesey Engineers

thor432

Anyone have any information on this unit as my Great grandad Albert Edward Jones was serving with them before the war,

The Royal Anglesey RE was formerly Milita, and sent a special service company to the S.African War 1900-02. After 1908 a Special Reserve outfit, based at Kingsbridge Camp on the outskirts of Beaumaris.

Forum member Rogin knows more about them then anyone else I can think of, if you want to PM him.

Clive

Thanks Clive

Was it Kingsbridge camp that had the mock trenches in as I have seen an arial photo of that area ?

That's right. I think there are views (and photos of buildings & some RARE personnel) on the Penmon website. The nearby parish church at Llanfaes contains some memorials to officers of the unit but not (from long-ago recollection) of WW1 date.

Clive

There were 3 Companies in 1914

1st Siege Company Royal Anglesey, RE -

National Archive War Diary Reference WO95/485

2nd Siege Company Royal Anglesey, RE

National Archive War Diary Reference WO95/403

3rd Railway Company Royal Anglesey, RE

National Archive War Diary Reference WO95/4052

By December 1914 all were serving with GHQ Troops, RE

Alan Fleetwood

Hi Odin,

Pre war volunteers for Ryl Ang R.E. would sign on for a period of 6 years, after preliminary training they would attend another 5 years of annual training's, lasting between 3 - 5 weeks. The trainings would be spent at Kingsbridge camp - nr Llanfaes, but if the man was attached to the Railway Company he would also have to spend some of the training at Longmoor, Hamps(home of the reguilar R.E. Railway coy's). For WW1 service it seems that your g-g'father was not recalled to the regiment.

As for the trenches they were not physically part of the camp but were sited a couple of miles away.

Geraint

Thanks again Gents

Lucky that I have Relation living in Llanfaes and im hopeing to get up there in April to see them, if not will go up in August for a few days, the thing is when did he join the Royal Anglesey Engineers ? I think that there is a small records office on Anglesey so will take a trip to it when im up there,

Intresting info that Im greatful for

Dave

Dave,

There ought in theory to be a set of service records covering his 6 years service, which could have started any time after the age of 17, though more likely to be at the time he was resident in Beaumaris.

The original service records for the Militia before 1908 are usually in category WO96 at the National Archives, Kew. The company Findmypast has copied and made these available online since last year (on a payment/subscription basis). I had a look at the free index, but an Albert / Albert Edward Jones born 1878 (+/- 5 yrs) in Flintshire or Denbighshire threw up few if any likely candidates.

If he went over into the Special Reserve after 1908 the records should be with the rest of the Army service papers from the WW1 era. These, as you know, were bombed in 1940 and two-thirds destroyed. I couldn't see him in the Ancestry index amongst quite a lot of similarly-named men (but as you know, indexes are fickle).

Otherwise I confess I'm not sure where I'd look - the Anglesey County Records Office at Llangefni might be able to tell you what they hold, or maybe Rogin again might have a better idea than me.

Clive

Clive

Have contacted one of my relations who lives only four fields away fron the earth works in Llanfeas, he has also looked into the Jones and Roberts family History so together we will try and sort it out via Facebook and a meeting in August, then we will go to the Anglesey Records office and see what they have on former members of the Engineers, in the meantime I have 6 other family members that fought in WW1 to keep me occupied, which means a lot of reading up on other units both pre war and great war, but I will keep in contact as things come to light,

Dave

Dave,

The Anglesey Archives do not hold any of the regiments records, muster books, etc, in fact nobody seems to know where they are! I've been interested in the regiment for over 15 years and during that time have written to various museums, libraries, archives, universities, etc in the hunt for their records, etc but to no avail and have come to the conclusion that they were either destroyed on the demise of the regiment or placed somewhere (an attic/cellar?) for safekeeping and forgotten about!

Geraint

Dave

Find my Past has the following.

Boer War 1889-1902 - Soldier details.

Name: Jones A. F.

Number: 3703.

Unit: Royal Angelsey(Militia) Royal Engineers.

Notes: " A " Company.

Medal Roll:

Roll Page

161 0 Two entries.

It could be a bad transcription, unable to view the original, or it could be the wrong person.

Bob

Bob,

I think the transcription is right - I had one A.F.Jones on a manuscript list I made from the original Roll many years ago.

Clive

Geraint and Bob

Thanks for taking the time to help Guys

Dave

• 3 years later...

Guys,

Do you have the Lt that took these 25 Volunteers out. John Lewis Hampton Lewis. Also do you know when he returned to UK as he was badly wounded and died of his wounds in 1905 in Anglesey.

Thanks, Gaffa

I just found an interesting pair of MICs on Ancestry for 29524 Edward J Sheehy of this unit, who died while serving in the 98th Field Company.

Gaffa,

John Lewis Hampton Lewis transferred to the RGA(Regular Army) in July 1900; home Enteric March 1901; on recovery returns to RGA but dies of Phthisis(TB) and exhaustion at Bodior Estate, Rhoscolyn,,Holyhead, Anglesey 6.6.1906. Buried in the family vault Llanfaes, Anglesey.

Geraint

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Further to this ...
My ancestor William David Potter was a CSM of the R.E. permanent staff of the Royal Anglesey R.E. (SR) in 1911.
(I got his information from the 1911 census)
Is there any way to find out when he was posted there?
One of his sons was born there in 1908, so I suppose that may be a clue.
Also, I am trying to find out some more about his army career.
He was a recruiting Sgt in Merthyr Tydfil in 1891 (from the 1891 census)
He seems to have been posted to/lived in the London area 1894 to 1900 (or at least his wife lived there then)
He may have been in Malta in 1903 and I think he was in Aldershot in 1903.
Can anybody add some more details of his Army service?
Cheers
David

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I'm looking for some expert guidance in searching for my great grand father, I have very limited information, only his name and date of birth. I know he went out with the army to fight in the second Boer War in South Africa, and was wounded and I believe then  pensioned off,  but no evidence. My grandfather (before he passed) could only remember that he was with the Royal Engineers or Artillery. Coming from Caernarvon, North Wales, neither of these made sense until I came across this forum and was wondering if he could have joined the RARE's.

I also came across 3 names on the https://angloboerwar.com/name-search which again led me to search for the RARE and find this page! There are three listed that may be him but not sure how to validate!

I've attached an image and was wondering if anyone could identify the uniform and if it is the RARE. I can't quite make out the cap badge but it doe fit with the RE pattern.

His name was Thomas Williams, born January 1877, any information =, advice would be gladly received!

Many thanks

IMG_1141.jpg

Edited by IANT

IANT

They are definitely Royal Engineers and the bandoliers indicate that they are mounted sappers. They could be from any branch of the RE however, but there is nothing to indicate which one unfortunately.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply, that answers one question anyway of what regiment he was part of! That fits another piece of the jigsaw!

Many thanks