Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

liverpool scottish..

Tim P

55th Division rose.

Thanks GT, I see it now.

The Liverpool Scottish wore the 55th West Lancs Division sign at the top of their sleeves and ( in the case of other ranks ) below the cloth shoulder title.

A picture of the various glengarry`s and badges worn by the Liverpool Scottish attached. This does not include the final one with the Duke of Lancasters Regiment badge which I shall add later ( now added )

P.B.

post-63-0-83724500-1442152464_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-69450500-1442152977_thumb.jpg

Liverpool Jock,

Yes but you are probably aware that the "Liverpool Scottish " cloth title is a copy.

The glengarry you have shown is as worn by the regular battalions of the Kings Liverpool Regiment with a bi metal helmet plate centre as the badge and was not a Liverpool Scottish item.

The Glengarry and badge worn by the 8th ( Scottish ) V.B. K.L.R. pre 1908 is as shown top left in the first photograph in post 27 above.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Yes I realize that they (both the cloth title and the 55th) are copies. I've never been able to find originals here in the states. I'll keep an eye out for the other badge as well. Did they were brigade flashes below the div insignia or on the back of the collar or both?

Thanks again!

I have never seen pictures of brigade insignia being worn in WW1 by the Liverpool Scottish, they wore the battalion indicator ( as part of the scheme adopted by the 55th West Lancs Division ) on the back of the jacket below the collar.

Peter

• 8 years later...

I have been a member here for about three and a half years and having often dipped in to read and learn when I suddenly realise that I haven't yet actually posted anything yet!

I realise this is an old thread but I recently acquired a rather nice1908 pattern (this one I feel is circa WWI vintage) glengarry to the 10th Bn Liverpool Scottish so I thought I would add it here to perhaps revitalise the thread and to invite opinion from the headdress afficionados here!

All comment is welcome.

Regards

Mark

Glengarry1908patt.1.jpg.b8a4d8ec885c34cdf3fb0ea9dc9e8476.jpg

Glengarry 1908 patt.2.jpg

Glengarry 1908 patt.3.jpg

Glengarry 1908 patt.4.jpg

6 hours ago, Watchdog37 said:

I have been a member here for about three and a half years and having often dipped in to read and learn when I suddenly realise that I haven't yet actually posted anything yet!

I realise this is an old thread but I recently acquired a rather nice1908 pattern (this one I feel is circa WWI vintage) glengarry to the 10th Bn Liverpool Scottish so I thought I would add it here to perhaps revitalise the thread and to invite opinion from the headdress afficionados here!

All comment is welcome.

Regards

Mark

Glengarry1908patt.1.jpg.b8a4d8ec885c34cdf3fb0ea9dc9e8476.jpg

Glengarry 1908 patt.2.jpg

Glengarry 1908 patt.3.jpg

Glengarry 1908 patt.4.jpg

Looks like a legitimate period glengarry. The only thing I might question is the badge. It appears to be very clean for an item over a century old. Can you furnish a closeup of both the obverse and reverse sides?

Thanks for the reply.

I assume your username is a reference to The 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot?

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I wasn't seeking authentication, just adding it to the thread to stimulate further discussion. I have no reservations whatsoever about this item. However, having been a collector for approx 50 yrs (hard to put a precise start date to it!) I fully appreciate your point about the shiny appearance of the badge. It looks like that because it has a high level of nickel content which was produced to look not unlike silver. Also it has been stored in very good conditions since it "retired from service". I attach pictures of the badge removed from the cap together with a white metal version of similar vintage from the London Scottish (I use a different regiment to avoid confusion as the comparison is regarding the finish) to illustrate how different they can look. As far as I know this LS badge has not been polished for a very long time, probably not since it was last worn. In my experience badges with such a high nickel content tend to remain in such a shiny appearance for ever provided they are properly stored.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards

Mark

Liverpool Scottish.high nickel.obv.JPG

Liverpool Scottish.high nickel.rev.JPG

London Scottish.obv.jpg

3 hours ago, Watchdog37 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I assume your username is a reference to The 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot?

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I wasn't seeking authentication, just adding it to the thread to stimulate further discussion. I have no reservations whatsoever about this item. However, having been a collector for approx 50 yrs (hard to put a precise start date to it!) I fully appreciate your point about the shiny appearance of the badge. It looks like that because it has a high level of nickel content which was produced to look not unlike silver. Also it has been stored in very good conditions since it "retired from service". I attach pictures of the badge removed from the cap together with a white metal version of similar vintage from the London Scottish (I use a different regiment to avoid confusion as the comparison is regarding the finish) to illustrate how different they can look. As far as I know this LS badge has not been polished for a very long time, probably not since it was last worn. In my experience badges with such a high nickel content tend to remain in such a shiny appearance for ever provided they are properly stored.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards

Mark

Liverpool Scottish.high nickel.obv.JPG

Liverpool Scottish.high nickel.rev.JPG

London Scottish.obv.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos, Watchdog37. Yes, I quite agree that "nickel silver" badges retain their glossy appearance without polishing.