Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Windows in the Mostyn House School Chapel

Old Owl

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone has access to photos of the memorial windows in the chapel at Mostyn House School, Parkside. Some are shown on the internet but I am particularly looking for a photo of the panel which commemorates Captain Guy Ravenscroft, 18th Bn King's Liverpool Regt., who was killed in action on 18/10/16.

I have found that the school sadly closed in 2010 and the buildings seem to have been taken under the wing of English Heritage, although I can find no confirmation of this? The Carillon of 37 bells, which were placed in the school as a memorial to the old boys who gave their lives during WW1, were due to be transferred to Charterhouse School, Woking, Surrey, but again I can find no confirmation of this?

I did find that someone had posted some photos of the chapel on Flickr and claimed to have taken photos of all the windows individually--unforunately none of these appear on Flickr.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Robert

Can't help with the pics, but I have to point out that you mean ParkGATE, not Parkside. I will contact someone connected with the Liverpool Pals memorial project to see if they have any info about the windows.

D

Can't help with the pics, but I have to point out that you mean ParkGATE, not Parkside. I will contact someone connected with the Liverpool Pals memorial project to see if they have any info about the windows.

D

Hi Daggers,

Whoops!! Many a slip 'tween brain and fingers!!:wacko:

Many thanks for the assistance, I shall keep my fingers crossed that they may have a picture of the window.

Strangely, although it was mentioned in the info on the chapel windows it seemed to be one that had not attracted the attention of the photographer, perhaps it is a difficult one to photograph?

Here's hoping.

Regards, Robert

Robert

I await reply from my 'Pals' contact. Meanwhile I can offer a photo of Capt. Ravenscroft's name on a panel in the Hall of Remembrance in Liverpool Town Hall - it adds no detail and like many other entries omits the battalion number.

He is also named on the memorial to the fallen of the Liverpool Cotton Exchange, but the plaque there is not the original.

D

Robert

I await reply from my 'Pals' contact. Meanwhile I can offer a photo of Capt. Ravenscroft's name on a panel in the Hall of Remembrance in Liverpool Town Hall - it adds no detail and like many other entries omits the battalion number.

He is also named on the memorial to the fallen of the Liverpool Cotton Exchange, but the plaque there is not the original.

D

That would be most useful, can you post on here or do you need an email address?

Thanks, Robert

Not the news you are waiting for, but thought you may want to be aware of this :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eyside-17078684

Regards, BillyH

Hi Billy,

Looks like the old buildings are becoming a liability for someone, lets hope they find a use for them before they end up being demolished?

Do you happen to know if it is possible to gain access to the chapel?

Regards, Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :)

I dont mind taking the photograph you need as I look after the Mostyn House School chapel.

Access is not allowed to the public due to the insurance policy but I dont mind emailing a picture.

Where should I email the picture ?

Cheers, Steve

Hello :)

I dont mind taking the photograph you need as I look after the Mostyn House School chapel.

Access is not allowed to the public due to the insurance policy but I dont mind emailing a picture.

Where should I email the picture ?

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have sent you a PM which should register at the top right hand side of the screen with a 1 in a circle or square, just click on this to open the message. My email address is included.

Thank you very much indeed for your offer which is much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have sent you a PM which should register at the top right hand side of the screen with a 1 in a circle or square, just click on this to open the message. My email address is included.

Thank you very much indeed for your offer which is much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes, Robert

Robert,

Is Steve able to use the PM system with only two posts? I have tried to check on the GWF site but can't find an answer. I thought that you had to have 10 posts to enable the PM system I hope that I am wrong but it would be a shame to lose out on his noble and generous offer on the technicality.

Ian

Robert,

Is Steve able to use the PM system with only two posts? I have tried to check on the GWF site but can't find an answer. I thought that you had to have 10 posts to enable the PM system I hope that I am wrong but it would be a shame to lose out on his noble and generous offer on the technicality.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I had the same thought myself but thought that I may as well try!! The system told me that my message had been sent and that the recipient would be notified that they had a new message--surely it would have said: 'this message cannot be sent to Mosty House' or words to that effect !!??

I have to admit that I do not understand this either. My inbox is empty, bar a handful, and yet people are told that I cannot receive any more messages!! work that one out!!

Robert

There was a notification a couple of weeks ago, that the number of posts to access the PM service had been reduced from 5 down to 2,But I cannot remember if this was for a trial period or not.

Regards

John

There was a notification a couple of weeks ago, that the number of posts to access the PM service had been reduced from 5 down to 2,But I cannot remember if this was for a trial period or not.

Regards

John

Thanks for that John--well its fingers crossed that 2 posts is the new starting point. Can anyone confirm this?

Robert

The requirement was reduced to two posts, subject to review in a few months to ensure that no issues emerged.

Robert

has anyone else had an issue with your mailbox? if so I will ask Invision to investigate.

Keith

Hi Robert,

Just been around the Mostyn House School Chapel (before it got too dark) and found a Memorial reference to Guy Ravenscroft.

I have emailed you several to confirm.

Yours Sincerely

Steve

post-88514-0-42099200-1331574087.jpg

I have taken a look at the National Inventory of War Memorials, and it seems to me that the window is not listed,

Could someone else check this please, and perhaps Steve, you can supply them with a photograph

Keith

Hi Robert,

Just been around the Mostyn House School Chapel (before it got too dark) and found a Memorial reference to Guy Ravenscroft.

I have emailed you several to confirm.

Yours Sincerely

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the photo of the memorial mentioning Guy Ravenscroft, it was however the stained glass window in which I was particularly interested. I believe that it is one of the set of windows, either 6 or 9 panels at the end of the chapel. One of these panels commemorates Guy Ravenscroft, although I am not sure if there is an inscription referring to him by name as the description I found was a little vague and I cannot find the entry which I had found previously using Google!!

If it would be possible for you to take a few clear shots of this then that would be really good.

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards, Robert

The requirement was reduced to two posts, subject to review in a few months to ensure that no issues emerged.

Robert

has anyone else had an issue with your mailbox? if so I will ask Invision to investigate.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for clarifying this point. My PM did reach Mostyn House--so this was proof indeed that the system was in full working order :thumbsup:

I have had three or four people complain that my inbox is full, even though it clealy is almost empty--perhaps a micro switch has jammed somewhere!!??

Many thanks for your assistance,

Robert

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have just read some information which confirms Guy Ravenscroft has a window in the Chapel and which one it is.

Would you like me to email a picture?

Yours sincerely

Steve Jones

Mostyn House

Hi,

I have just read some information which confirms Guy Ravenscroft has a window in the Chapel and which one it is.

Would you like me to email a picture?

Yours sincerely

Steve Jones

Mostyn House

Yes please Steve.

I am looking forward to seeing this window, because I was made aware of it some time ago.

Many thanks,

Robert

A fascinating post - could we see the window of the GWForum, too!

Regards ... Maricourt

A fascinating post - could we see the windon of the GWForum, too!

Regards ... Maricourt

Fingers crossed!!

Regards,

Robert

• 6 years later...