Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Windows in the Mostyn House School Chapel

Old Owl

On 30/01/2020 at 15:33, Noor said:

Here is also a picture of his plague. In case needed, I can make better photos at some stage.

IMG_8883.JPG

IMG_8886.jpg

Liverpool Daily 28 Oct 1916.jpg

liverpool Daily 24 October 1916.jpg

liverpool Echo 9 February 1917.jpg

Hi Noor,

This is amazing--many thanks for posting these photographs of his memorial plaque and your research.

Is this part of your collection?

Regards,

Robert

On 13/05/2013 at 11:40, MostynHouse said:

Hi,

I have just read some information which confirms Guy Ravenscroft has a window in the Chapel and which one it is.

Would you like me to email a picture?

Yours sincerely

Steve Jones

Mostyn House

Hi Steve,

Apologies, I have just come across your reply--if you pick up this perhaps you could let me know and I will let you have an email address.

Best wishes,

Robert

• 8 months later...

Some years ago I picked up the discussion on this forum about Guy Ravenscroft who is in my family tree.  I was greatly interested in the possibility of a photograph of the stained glass window in his memory at Mostyn House School chapel, but I couldn't see that one was ever made visible and the school's circumstances didn't provide me with any hope.  I didn't think I would have success with an enquiry given the initial discussion was years before, but today I re-visited (and joined) the forum because so much appears to have been added in 2020 - those images are greatly appreciated.  FindMyPast has free access to military records until 12 Nov I think, that enabled me to find some new records for Guy, and astreetnearyou.org has provided links to some of the memorials in England that honour him - Guy Ravenscroft is also remembered on the website http://www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/warlencourt.htm

I can't see that the Mostyn House memorials have been listed in official records which is a shame.  From memory an image of the stained glass window was provided direct to a forum member some years ago, I'm hoping it might be made available on the forum. 

GlenRruth,

The person who took the photograph 'Mostyn House' hasn't visited the Forum since 2013.

I suggest that you message GWF member 'Old Owl' who appears to have a copy of it.

BillyH.

18 minutes ago, BillyH said:

GlenRruth,

The person who took the photograph 'Mostyn House' hasn't visited the Forum since 2013.

I suggest that you message GWF member 'Old Owl' who appears to have a copy of it.

BillyH.

On 21/02/2020 at 06:49, Old Owl said:

Hi Steve,

Apologies, I have just come across your reply--if you pick up this perhaps you could let me know and I will let you have an email address.

Best wishes,

Robert

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Robert,

just read this post about Guy Ravenscroft and noticed there is no picture of the stained glass in the forum so have uploaded them.  The glass dedicated to Ravenscroft is the male on the right.  My parents, Steve Jones and Lisa Jones from Bangor, Gwynedd cared for Mostyn House in Parkgate on behalf of the Grenfell Family after it closed down and we were very lucky to be the very last people to live in it before it's sale and redevelopment in 2014.  We were honoured to ring out WW1 Memorial Carillion for the last time in 2012 before it became silent for the last time in Parkgate.  We rang out 11 chimes to symbolise Armistice Day.  It was a very poignant moment and one we will never forget.  My parents oversaw the careful relocation of the Carillion to Charterhouse, Godalming where the bells have been reinstated as a memorial.  We have photos of the bells being removed by a vast crane and photos of the windows in the chapel.  I'll put the footage on Youtube and post the link here.

Best Regards, Tom Jones, Knutsford

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by Thomas Jones

I am incredibly grateful to Tom Jones for adding these photographs to the Forum.  As Guy Ravenscroft is in my family tree it has been very moving to see the images of his memorial window, and also to see a close-up of the WW1 Memorial Carillion detail with all the names clearly visible.  How moving it must have been when the bells rang out for the last time in Parkgate, it is wonderful to know that Tom's family ensured great care was taken to mark the occasion.  It is also wonderful to know that the bells have been relocated and reinstated as a memorial. 

Glennys

As promised here is the video of the Mostyn House School Carillion being played for the last time in Parkgate. 

The Mostyn House School Carillion - The Last 11 Parkgate Rings

I hope we have done it a little justice as we never expected at the time that we would be uploading.

We just captured the moment and but it is important that it's now available to all. 

The information on the video is as follows:

A Memorium to the Fallen Alumni of Mostyn House School, Parkgate Cheshire. Having 37 bells, the Mostyn House Carillion was very tuneful and brought decades of pure enjoyment and also contemplation to all in Parkgate and even out across the Dee Sands. However on this occasion we felt it was appropriate to ring out 11 chimes to symbolise Armistice Day, 11th November 1918, the end of the horrific 1st World War and finally Peace. My parents, Steve and Lisa Jones of Bangor, Gwynedd were given the Live-In Guardianship of Mostyn House, Parkgate on behalf of the Grenfell Family after it sadly closed in 2012. The Grenfell Family all deeply cared for Mostyn House and wanted to ensure the place came to no harm after its closure and especially the precious Carillion of Bells WW1 Memorial and the historic Chapel.

My parents were appointed and honoured to oversee the careful dismantling of the Carillion Memorial for it's relocation to Charterhouse, Godalming. It was extremely sad for the Grenfell Family and all to see the Memorial relocated but it has now been reinstated in their new home in Charterhouse as originally requested if Mostyn House School ever ceased. They are once again ringing out in memorium of the fallen and will never be forgotten. Before the dismantling of the structure commenced, we rang the bells for the last time so that it could be heard around Parkgate. I (Thomas Kenneth Jones) had the special honour of ringing the bells on behalf of the Grenfell Family for the very last time in their original setting. The Carillion Clavier was set in the first floor room from where you can see the Union Flag is draped from. I can just be seen going to sit at the Clavier to ring the bells.

There is more information about the Mostyn House School Carillion Memorial and the fallen Grenfell war heroes on the Great War Forum website.
Imperial War Museum Memorial Information

SHOW LESS

Edited by Thomas Jones

My appreciation Tom for the video you have posted - a moving tribute to the boys and to the school - and it is wonderful that the bells and the inscription are now safe at Charterhouse.  From what I have read the Mostyn House School Chapel is Grade II listed so hopefully the memorial windows will also be safe.

Glennys

Hi Glennys, you are very welcome and thank you for your comments.  Not sure what the Chapel is being used for nowadays but we understand there is a service charge by the new residents which helps pay for it's upkeep.  Much of it has been restored like some of the windows so it appears to well looked after.  It would be nice if it could be opened up a few times a year for visits but I'm sure it's not that straightforward in this day and age.  Best Regards, Tom

The Mostyn Chapel is Grade II Star Listed which is good.

Hi Glennys and Robert,

The link to the Carillion has been changed. 

I wanted to get it right based on some feedback.

Glennys, I have saved your feedback here below.  Thank you for that, really appreciated.

Many thanks, Thomas

The Mostyn House School Carillion - The Last 11 Rings - YouTube

A wonderful tribute to the Alumni of Mostyn House School who gave their lives in World War I, including Captain Guy Ravenscroft.

Thank you for sharing the video and the story - it is wonderful to know that the bells and the inscription recording the men's names are now safe at Charterhouse.

We are hoping to be in touch soon with details about the book in which it has the information as who paid for the Carillion and Guys Ravenscroft's window etc.

I believe it was Guy Ravenscroft's parents paid for his window but reluctant to confirm just in case it wasn't.

There were many donations towards the Carillion and this book could possibly be in the Archives in Chester.

• 10 months later...

@GlenRuth @Old Owl @BillyH 

Hi,  it's been a few years but we've finally tracked down the book with the information about Capt. Guy Ravenscrofts window. 

We promised to never give up on it and here we have it. 

So basically, the boy in the window is Guy Ravenscroft himself when he was 13 years old and a pupil of Mostyn House School.  They took a photo of him and created the artwork from the photo.   The school Grenfell Family commissioned the window.  A different window was commissioned by the parents of Raymond 'Tosh' Leventon.  This is possibly where lines were crossed into thinking Guy Ravenscrofts parents paid for his window?  Raymond 'Tosh' Leventon was also a pupil who was killed in the Great War.  See attachment for Raymond at the foot of this post.

Here is the information from the book which is in the Chester Archives:

1.jpg.dfb42384db9d28cafc1ca80300cb9764.jpg

A portrait of Guy Ravenscroft in 1896, portrayed as 'Samuel' when he was a pupil in Mostyn House School.

2.jpg.764a27d4af76d761708f30a396c2210e.jpg

3.jpg.bf1f10bf6e4af8dd18ba29889c9adbfa.jpg

4.jpg.6680b1da536db930af23e6cb6164949a.jpg

5.jpg.84d345fabb831d0b673c2d5dc26c6c74.jpg

6.jpg.343287ff9c3339c493afcc671ec3e55d.jpg

Raymond 'Tosh' Leventon

8.jpg.07066518cee988579209f06274ee28f9.jpg

image.png.5d20513b75d40200d02123b3e0001cf5.png

Hi Thomas,

Just seen this addition--many thanks for eventually getting to the bottom of the mystery surrounding the windows at Mostyn House School.

The image of the window is excellent and a very useful addition to my research file on Guy Ravenscroft--thank you.

Are the windows, carillion and the chapel going to be preserved where they are or moved elsewhere?

Best,  Robert

PS Had forgotten that the Carillion has been moved and also that the chapel is Grade 2 listed--which should help protect it to a degree, provide those living in the adjacent properties are aware of its significance. R

Edited by Old Owl

@Old Owl Hi Robert, yeah really pleased to have resolved the Ravenscroft window mystery.  It's great to know the window is of Guy himself and it's actually satisfying and really good to know that his window is of a happy time during his life and not a symbol of a sad time as we originally believed.  

The chapel and windows are to be preserved and cared for in-situ which is good news.  The Carillion of bells have been moved to Charterhouse school and reinstated as a War Memorial.  That was the original request by Headmaster A G Grenfell when installed in 1921, that if the Mostyn House ever ceases to be a school, that the bells should be moved to Charterhouse.

https://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Cheshire/Neston/CH64/News/Local-News/272952-Mostyn-House-Bells-Complete-Move-to-Charterhouse 

Some chapel windows have recently been restored so maintenance is ongoing.  The Chapel is Grade II* (star) listed so that give it further protection.

If you think of any further info you need, get in touch, happy to help out if we can.

Very Best, Tom