Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1911 Regimental Nominal Rolls

I only saw them in one section. Some Bns are listed in two areas as (I assume) they had detachments on different locations. The caveat is that I hopped about 20-45 pages each time and when I 'landed' I scrolled back to the beginning of each Bn. A Bn takes roughly 50-60 pages so It is unlikely that I missed a whole Bn. I will do a more accurate version at the weekend and edit if necessary. An alternate method is to search for a man via the Military /1911 census and that will create a landing page, then work outwards from there. MG

I have added rough landing pages to the original post.

If you cross-refer with the catalogue descriptions in RG 14 you may be able to identify the companies - for example searching on Burma within RG 14 shows where several of the companies of 2nd East Surreys were located (it's worth noting that you can do basically the same thing on FindMyPast, though I don't think you can make persistent links in the same way)

Since you seem a bit more coversant with this business than I, I don't suppose you know the method by which one can access the Scottish garrisons 1911 census through "Scotland's People" do you? In other words the people still in Scotland. I can't figure it out and emailed them but they have not responded. One would think that they would be available in that the English and Irish ones are on "Ancestry" If you have any idea I would be grateful

Thanks,

Hazel C..

If you cross-refer with the catalogue descriptions in RG 14 you may be able to identify the companies - for example searching on Burma within RG 14 shows where several of the companies of 2nd East Surreys were located (it's worth noting that you can do basically the same thing on FindMyPast, though I don't think you can make persistent links in the same way)

I've not looked into the Dcottish census at all I'm afraid

• Admin

It also gots awkward with men being split into other areas apart from the main body. For ex

ample, the Dehra Dun Brigade in India - pp 1280-1285- had men the following working mostly as clerks apart from some RA officers in the Mountain Artillery:

RA - Officers in Mountain Artillery

RHA

4th Worcesters

17th Lancers

1st Lancs Fusiliers

2nd Berkshire

4th KRR

2nd Gordon Highlanders

94 Coy RGA

1st Royal Dragoons

East Yorks

1st Middlesex

and some extra details to follow MArtin's great work:

2 Berks 1291 - 1309, 1431 - 1480

Laudoer (??) Depot, Mulitple units but a lot of 1st King's Own 1310

2 Rifle Bde 2665 - 2713

70 Coy RGA 2714

94 Coy RGA 1420 - 1430

No 7 Ammunition Column RFA 1481

2 East Lancs 403 - 408. P 407 also has 1 man in Indian Army Unatached List, 1st DLI, 2nd Worcester, 2nd Cheshire, 1st Manchester, 66 Bty RFA, AOC and Educational Dept

92 Bty RFA and Bde Staff 19 Bde RFA 3897 - 3909

1 Sherwood Foresters 3910 - 3952

2 KSLI 3953

Dehra Dun was where my Grandfather ended up but as i said, no sign for 1911 unless the Alexander

Clark, who is from the same place and is the same age and rank as my grandfather is him. Seems his name is incorrect in numerous places but in this case no reg. numbers to check.

Hazel C.

It also gots awkward with men being split into other areas apart from the main body. For ex

ample, the Dehra Dun Brigade in India - pp 1280-1285- had men the following working mostly as clerks apart from some RA officers in the Mountain Artillery:

RA - Officers in Mountain Artillery

RHA

4th Worcesters

17th Lancers

1st Lancs Fusiliers

2nd Berkshire

4th KRR

2nd Gordon Highlanders

94 Coy RGA

1st Royal Dragoons

East Yorks

1st Middlesex

and some extra details to follow MArtin's great work:

2 Berks 1291 - 1309, 1431 - 1480

Laudoer (??) Depot, Mulitple units but a lot of 1st King's Own 1310

2 Rifle Bde 2665 - 2713

70 Coy RGA 2714

94 Coy RGA 1420 - 1430

No 7 Ammunition Column RFA 1481

2 East Lancs 403 - 408. P 407 also has 1 man in Indian Army Unatached List, 1st DLI, 2nd Worcester, 2nd Cheshire, 1st Manchester, 66 Bty RFA, AOC and Educational Dept

2 KSLI 3953

Hi Martin, a great piece of work. You mentioned Regts recruiting from outside their area, going through the 2nd Loyals a Preston based Regt I found more than a few men whose birthplace was given as London/ Middlesex, London/ Surrey.

Records show the 2nd Loyals had served abroad since 1899 and many of these men were in their early 20's, has anyone any ideas, thoughts, on this, transfers etc. I've found medal cards for a couple of them with E Africa 1914, which is where

the 2nd Loyals are found in 1914.

John.

The data in these records is very interesting as it provides a unique snapshot of the demographics of the regular line infantry, cavalry, RFA and RGA only a few years before WWI. As Grumpy pointed out, most would have served in 1914 due to commitments There are roughly 20 entries per page (on average), 4,000 pages so roughly 80,000 data points which is enough for the data to be statistically significant. (i.e the conclusions drawn from the data will generally eliminate the effects of outliers in the data). An area that always interested me is the ongoing debate (in some areas) over the 'Irishness' (for want of a much better word) of Irish units, or the 'Scottishness' of Scottish units. etc. This data will give some good hard stats which hopefully will settle a few debates over these questions (at least for the Regular Army). I am mindful that it will not necessarily identify expatriate Scots, Irish, Welsh etc who were domiciled in England and joined units of their home country.

I will post something soon once I have crunched some data.

MG

P.S. There is no bias here, I have Celtic (Scottish) and English grandfathers who served in WWI.

A colleague has demonstrated that 2nd RWF were neither very Welsh, nor [as had been supposed] very Birmingham either:

576 out of 1074 neither Wales nor Birmingham, with Welsh and Brum almost equal and making up the difference.

I suspect a fair number of sacred cows are being lined up for the slaughter!

Sometimes the truth gets in the way of a good tale years after the event, in this case nearly 100 years.

• 5 months later...

Am I doing something wrong? I can only see the front cover pages and can't see into the actual census?i only got 1114 pages on mine and am trying to find 3 and 4 Bn KRRC!!help!!!!

After seeing the original posting by MG I immediately went to Ancestry and following the details given to access this data came up with exactly the same as last posting, just the front cover pages and 1114 pages.

Hello -

1. Open Ancestry website.

2. On the top bar, click on Search and a drop-down menu will appear...on the drop-down click on "Census and Electoral Rolls"

3. On the right hand side, half way down, under "Featured Data and Collections" click on "1911 England Census"

4. On the right hand side, under "Browse this Collection" in the box headed "County" click on "Military" and under "Civil Parish" click on "All"

5. Click on "India"...wait a few seconds and the front page should appear....there should be a thin bluish-grey bar immediately above the image with Military> India> Page 1 of 1114 2905 pages with navigation arrows lef and right....by typing in the box with the page number it should take you straight to that page....

If you can't see it following these instructions you might want to try using a different internet browser...I use Chrome..... the only other explanation I can think of is that not-subscribers might not be able to see the navigation bar.. not sure if there are scaled levels of access... I have full access but when I log out I can't get back beyond stage 4 above.

MG

Yep I just got that as well!!my membership runs out soon as well!!!!

Frustrating, I entered what you said, still get only 1114 images, 3 images per regiment/ battalion, can't see anything else. Entered 198 for 3 KRRC, and it goes to a battery of the RFA. Am after if my relative JJ Franks battalion, 3 or 4 KRRC

I think I have sussed it...

1. Open Ancestry website.

2. On the top bar, click on Search and a drop-down menu will appear...on the drop-down click on "Census and Electoral Rolls"

3. On the right hand side, half way down, under "Featured Data and Collections" click on "1911 England Census"

4. On the right hand side, under "Browse this Collection" in the box headed "County" click on "Military" and under "Civil Parish" drop-down menu click on "All" "Not Stated"

5. Click on "India"...wait a few seconds and the front page should appear....there should be a thin bluish-grey bar immediately above the image with Military> India> Page 1 of 1114 2905 pages with navigation arrows lef and right....by typing in the box with the page number it should take you straight to that page....

It works for me...I now get 2905 pages.....let me know if it works for you.....

The 1114 pages that you get when the drop-down is "All" are the one-page summary sheets for all the units in the whole of India

Regards MG

• Admin

I get the 2905 pages too. It is still "different" to a few months ago as I posted the following

which is obviously not possible with a maximum of 2905 pages. The main thing is that the pages are accessible again.

Glen

I get the 2905 pages too. It is still "different" to a few months ago as I posted the following

which is obviously not possible with a maximum of 2905 pages. The main thing is that the pages are accessible again.

Glen

I think it (today) is consistent with my original post. I will do a few more spot-checks and revert....If you see any inconsistencies with the 'fall-page' index for any unit please let me know and I will amend the index on the initial page...

MG

• Admin

HEre is what I have found under the new listing:

89 Bty RFA 1

No 5 Mountain Bty RGA 8

2nd Leinsters 15

16 Bde RFA 52

90 Bty RFA 54

No 2 Mountain Bty RGA + various other RGA men 62

1 Connaught RAngers 69

58 Bty RFA 110

No 60 Coy RGA 119

Infantry 143

1 Essex Regt 227

2 RF 276, 288, 376-411

2 RF / 2 Cheshire / 1 MAnchester 278

1 Durham LI 285

Worcester and Mancs 287

2 East LAncs 291, 294-332

Various 292

1 Manchester 334, 530

2 Cheshire 412

DLI 453

6 Dragoons 492

13 Bde Staff RHA 494

x Bty RHA

Y Bty RHA 504

E Amm Col 511

IV Bde and 7 Bty RFA 513

86 Bty RGA 520

XI Bty RFA 523

2nd Worcesters 649

M Bty RHA 745

It seems that Ancestry has deleted all the cover pages...each unit used to have a dark blue cover page and an introductory sheet for each 'book' which could contain 300 names- now all have disappeared - which means hundreds of pages have been deleted and therefore the whole of my original Index is now obsolete...Example...the Lensters used to be on pages 27-73 (46 pages in total including cover pages for each Company) and is no pages 16-53 (37 pages)..

All rather frustrating and a waste of dozens of hours. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. MG

3 KRRC page 141

I think what has happened is that Ancestry has finally realised that the groupings were all mixed up and has now reorganised the books...so India used to be spread across India, India and Singapore and india and Ceylon... and I thiiiink they have now consolidated India based units into one document (?)....The India and Celyon Document used to be over 400 pages and is now under 200 for example.....One day when I have a spare momemnt I will redo it but I will try and speak to Ancestry before I do so I dont waste time again.... how extremely frustrating. I took days to build. MG

3 KRRC page 141

Which used to be 198......i.e 57 pages have been deleted.

4 KRRC page 955. Thanks for your advice MG, finally got it working!!!!!