Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Binoculars?

spconnolly007

At a guess Dave, I would say that the 0 has something to do with the optics, and 1648 is its Army number. Again a guess, but I would imagine that a four-digit number would account for the early issue of 1909? Mine have a five-digit number, and the case is 1916. Regards Sean

At a guess Dave, I would say that the 0 has something to do with the optics, and 1648 is its Army number. Again a guess, but I would imagine that a four-digit number would account for the early issue of 1909? Mine have a five-digit number, and the case is 1916. Regards Sean

Sean,

Cheers for that .

Hi Dave, looks like 103 Royal Garrison Artillery, the 103 being the 103rd Battery/Brigade. I cant make out the other numbers, might be worth posting them and someone will no doubt be along to enlighten us! Khaki, you are not alone finding this stuff fascinating, but dont get Dave started on numbers and letters, have you seen my Brodie thread :D regards Sean

Sean

Further to your posting, the owner points out that the binoculars were issued to 108 Battery - not 103 as it might appear in my rather poor photo. 108 were apparently dispatched to France as soon as war was declared. If anyone has got any photos of the 108 Battery they can post, this would be appreciated.

Dave

• 6 years later...

I aquired a pair of Colmont Periscope binoculars recently and I can't find out much about them.  I see that Colmont was a French company that made a lot of opera and field binoculars during the early 1900s and made many for use during the war. I have not found any other Periscope binoculars made buy this company at all.  They are marked Colmont Jumelles Paris C gne 15332. They are solid brass with some nickel plating.  Does anyone have any insite on these?

IMG_20181030_005737945.jpg

IMG_20181030_005803642.jpg

IMG_20181030_005842597.jpg

IMG_20181030_005821613.jpg

IMG_20181030_005853117.jpg

IMG_20181030_005917783.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I'm a bit late in this thread but would love some help. I'm a collector of British and Dominion/Empire/Commonwealth used handheld military binoculars and have recently acquired a pair of Galilean WW1 binos that have features resembling some of those described in previous posts in this thread. The binos have eyecups that are marked "L. PETIT FABT PARIS". The top right part of the upper bridge, which is hinged to allow for the interocular distance to be changed, is stamped "4 1/2 X" and there is a serial number "H19033" stamped on the bottom of the right hand upper bridge. Engraved on the bottom of the left hand eye piece is a broad arrow (which has been cancelled by the imposition of another reversed broad arrow) and "H*". Engraved on the bottom of the right hand eye piece is "MK V.  SPL" and below that "81095". The binos came in a leather case stamped with a broad arrow below the front buckle and a lid with "*" above an "H" above the carrying strap and "J&B. GREEN LTD."below the carrying strap with 1918 below that and a cancelled out broad arrow - see pictures. Can anyone shed light on the "H*" mark? It seems to appear on a lot of similar binos. I'm drawn to the conclusion that this was a mark associated with the purchase of these civilian binos by the military but would welcome other views. The "MK 5" is presumably to show that these are the equivalent of the military Mk Vs (which are also 4.5X). Also, I'd love to know what "SPL" denotes - I suspect that it meant that these binos had been accepted as "Mk V specials" i.e. equivalent to Mk Vs. I note a similar marking on a pair shown here https://www.m1militaria.co.uk/World-War-1-British-Binoculars-MkV-Spl and what looks like identical binos to mine at the IWM https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30024741 and at http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/militaria/ww1-british-issued-field-binoculars-with-case/prod_6647.html and https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/willingham-auctions/catalogue-id-srwill10190/lot-3fb8880c-727b-4c59-9356-a94c00ab7eb4.

0B29973F-A5A5-4EF5-855C-70C24F95EB9C_1_105_c.jpeg

906CED92-E882-44DB-887E-0DBB7EDB7C0C_1_105_c.jpeg

41C40877-043B-4153-A07C-EEB23A21BE35_1_105_c.jpeg

2EECCD76-CB45-480E-BFA4-512946FB88F4_1_105_c.jpeg

1899D106-7B5D-46E8-A862-177DEF1C07C3_1_105_c.jpeg

C448B2B5-4C2F-4DAB-A6C0-080A08275A2C_1_105_c.jpeg

23 hours ago, mjbwatson said:

...The binos came in a leather case stamped with a broad arrow below the front buckle and a lid with "*" above an "H" above the carrying strap and "J&B. GREEN LTD."below the carrying strap with 1918 below that and a cancelled out broad arrow - see pictures. Can anyone shed light on the "H*" mark? It seems to appear on a lot of similar binos. I'm drawn to the conclusion that this was a mark associated with the purchase of these civilian binos by the military but would welcome other views...

You might find this thread I originally started looking into similarly E-marked binoculars of interest:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I am a newbie to this group but I purchased a pair of WW1 binoculars a couple of years ago on ebay and now that we are out and about I have resurrected them with a view to using them at the horse races. They are made by Deroy & Forestier in Paris and carry the broad arrow and H*. They also have MkV Spl 78730

From what I gather these glasses were 'loaned" to the army for the war effort and the number relates to the person who loaned them with the expectation that they might get them back at the end of hostilities. The blunt arrow mark means that they passed the optical test and maybe someone can identify the year from the H*.

The case is rather past its sell by date and does not have any markings on it though it appears to be the original.

They are a cracking pair of glasses not only to look at but to view through. Any thoughts or information anyone can add to this  would be appreciated.

IMG_7708.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

This pair doesn't bear the "S. <grade no.>. <registration no.>" markings typical of glasses lent, donated or purchased under the emergency schemes of late 1914 - 15. They're marked as Mk.V Specials and the number looks stamped or machine-cut rather than hand-engraved, as does the Broad Arrow. Galilean glasses from several French makers are found as Mk.V Specials, some 'Wide'.

My *guess* is that this pair may have been officially purchased pre-War by WD to supplement home production, marked and numbered at manufacture - and thus unaffected by the emergency.

Others many know better. 

1 hour ago, Wendyb said:

My friend said they would not be very clever on the battlefield gleaming in the sun. Would they have been painted black? 

Yes, usually a semi-matt enamel finish (or in some cases chemically blacked) and the belled part of the barrel would be covered in tan leather.