Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Binoculars?

spconnolly007

MikB intersting point about the grading, it would be interesting to see what they did take into consideration, the ones I have have, to my eye, perfect optics but they aren't the most comfortable of glasses to look through, independent focus on each lens and I wouldn't have thought the shiny brass (the original finish, paint hasn't worn off) would have helped.

Just had a dig around the attic, any idea of the age of these? Can't remember where I got them.

post-11859-0-48768600-1329659364.jpg

post-11859-0-45692800-1329659383.jpg

Just had a dig around the attic, any idea of the age of these? Can't remember where I got them.

Look more WW2 to me, for what thats worth :) was you thinking along those lines? Sean

Not 100% sure as the Kershaw company were around for quite a while, but I saw a photo of similar bino's dated WW2 with the "Kershaw" in an oval. the style of marking of the company address on yours 'looks' a lot earlier.

khaki

They are in a P37 web case so if they have spent their lives with it then WW2, I think I probably got them from a compulsory purchase house clearance years ago. Is it correct the large yellow arrows were unique to the navy?

Ok then next bit, cases, apologies if I have hijacked your thread.

Somewhere in the house are the binoculars that fit this but I can't find them.

post-11859-0-89579900-1329665684.jpg

Ocean Villas, I think these are No.2 Mk.I 6x20s, obviously by Kershaw. The construction of the hinge using extensions of the prism-case endplates put a lot of stress on the screws holding these to the body castings, and was criticised for general weakness - though somehow, quite a few of these glasses seem to've survived into the here-and-now :rolleyes:

The 3-converging-wedge style of Broad Arrow is very much WW1 in my experience - this binocular design was introduced in 1911 - but the yellow painted ones on the body are WW2, so these probably served through both.

Regards,

MikB

Thanks for that, now I need to find the example related to that case.

Mick

Ok then next bit, cases, apologies if I have hijacked your thread.

Somewhere in the house are the binoculars that fit this but I can't find them.

Hijack away :thumbsup: you've mentioned on more than one post about finding/mislaying things, do you have any idea what kit you have got?:D Tidy regards Sean

Thanks for that, now I need to find the example related to that case.

Mick

The case is from a No.5 Mk.I 7x50 from 1935 onward, but the OS marking dates it later than 1940, *I think*. Scout Regiment telescopes of dates up to 1940 don't carry an OS no. (Optical Stores item no.) whereas later ones do.

Ross No.5 7x50s come up regularly on the Bay, for example items 160737944735, 200713198379, 300664077346, 390387394944.........

Regards,

MikB

Hijack away :thumbsup: you've mentioned on more than one post about finding/mislaying things, do you have any idea what kit you have got?:D Tidy regards Sean

I have very eclectic collecting tastes and have filled 2 houses from stuff accumulated over 25 years, I used to buy bulk boxes of 'mixed' which are still in corners and the attic, I am vaguely aware of most of it but still surprise myself. Threads like this one stimulate the hunt for treasure. Don't start me on whistles and swagger sticks!

If it's of any assistance to the discussion.

My pair are Zeiss,bear the Serial No S I 824 and were "signed and dated 1917" by a Soldier serving on the Western Front.

George

If it's of any assistance to the discussion.

My pair are Zeiss,bear the Serial No S I 824 and were "signed and dated 1917" by a Soldier serving on the Western Front.

George

I think these again are originally civilian glasses taken into service as 'S.1' - high-grade prismatic binoculars - unsurprising for Zeiss.

Their low registration number 824 probably means they were accepted long before the 1917 signature - could that just be a "these are mine" statement by the soldier?

Regards,

MikB

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing all the binos on here prompted me to find a pair I've had in collection for many years.

The top of the case is stamped John & Bennett Green 1916

The binos have the /l\ and

S.4

Plus Colmont Paris embossed around each lens

Scratched onto the front of the case is:

CQMS W Waters

Grenadier Guards

BEF

The underneath is scratched

Mons, Le Chatau, Dandercies, Marne, Asine, Ypres, Neiu Chapelle, Loos, Vimy, Cambrai, La Basse, Ancre,

to

Rhine, 1914 - 1919

/l\ at the very bottom.

When you pull forward the sun shields, it reveals the following:

On the right lens and

CQMS W Waters

Grenadier Guard

5 Ptn

On the left lens

Aug 1914

to

Feb 1919

Mons

to

Rhine

post-88155-0-90138100-1330967589.jpg

post-88155-0-90682600-1330967614.jpg

post-88155-0-94529800-1330967630.jpg

Two thoughts: firstly - I recently scoured an auction site beginning with "e" for WW1 binoculars for use as stage props, and found loads, and bought several for less than £5 each. At the moment they are fetching tiny sums but, like trench whistles (for years a couple of pounds each, now nice ones £70+ with forgeries now appearing) I'm sure their time will come and before long they'll be selling for stupidly high prices....

Secondly - I keep seeing American dealers advertising American Civil War binoculars, which I am fairly sure are actually WW1, and asking several hundred dollars for them. Eek!

William

The binos have the /l\ and

S.4

Plus Colmont Paris embossed around each lens

The 'S.4' denotes 'Second grade Galilean' glasses, probably accepted for service in 1914 or -15. The fact that CQMS Waters kept them all the way to 1919 suggests he might've had a higher opinion of these than the inspectors did. :D

Regards,

MikB

The 'S.4' denotes 'Second grade Galilean' glasses, probably accepted for service in 1914 or -15. The fact that CQMS Waters kept them all the way to 1919 suggests he might've had a higher opinion of these than the inspectors did. :D

Regards,

MikB

That could very well be the case.....and thanks for your input regarding the markings, very helpful

Dickie

Two thoughts: firstly - I recently scoured an auction site beginning with "e" for WW1 binoculars for use as stage props, and found loads, and bought several for less than £5 each. At the moment they are fetching tiny sums but, like trench whistles (for years a couple of pounds each, now nice ones £70+ with forgeries now appearing) I'm sure their time will come and before long they'll be selling for stupidly high prices....

Secondly - I keep seeing American dealers advertising American Civil War binoculars, which I am fairly sure are actually WW1, and asking several hundred dollars for them. Eek!

William

What sort of whistles are faked? I have seen suspicious broad arrows but don't think I have ever seen a completely faked whistle, I have a huge number of dated and undated whistles to compare examples, do you have any pictures?

What sort of whistles are faked? I have seen suspicious broad arrows but don't think I have ever seen a completely faked whistle, I have a huge number of dated and undated whistles to compare examples, do you have any pictures?

Sorry, I should have been more specific: I didn't mean completely faked whistles - I meant genuine but undated J Hudson and Co. whistles (for police or sporting use perhaps) which I suspect have been "improved" with added broad arrows and dates. On occasional websites and auction sites some sellers seem to have a surprisingly ample supply of these ..:whistle:

William

• 4 weeks later...

As the out-laws were'nt playing ball and offering me the Bino's in post #1, I have purchased my own pair.So there!! Sean

post-79848-0-26263300-1333386827.jpg

post-79848-0-42048600-1333387067.jpg

post-79848-0-47992400-1333387168.jpg

post-79848-0-51901200-1333387204.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture of a case to binociulars which belong to a gentleman I know, for some reason I seem to have misplaced the photo of the actual glasses which are made by Karl Zeis of Jena and dated 1909. I gather RGA stands for Royal Garrison Arsenal, but does anyone know what the numbers are telling? The case is stamped 'Ross Pattern'. Also, does anyone know where the owner might just possbily get a replacement eye piece for them?

Dave Upton

post-23614-0-76299200-1334328410.jpg

I find the information about marking's very interesting, 'question', did the Royal Marines have their own marking "RM" on binoculars etc or would they have used N for naval equipment?

khaki

Hi Dave, looks like 103 Royal Garrison Artillery, the 103 being the 103rd Battery/Brigade. I cant make out the other numbers, might be worth posting them and someone will no doubt be along to enlighten us! Khaki, you are not alone finding this stuff fascinating, but dont get Dave started on numbers and letters, have you seen my Brodie thread :D regards Sean

Hi Dave, looks like 103 Royal Garrison Artillery, the 103 being the 103rd Battery/Brigade. I cant make out the other numbers, might be worth posting them and someone will no doubt be along to enlighten us! Khaki, you are not alone finding this stuff fascinating, but dont get Dave started on numbers and letters, have you seen my Brodie thread :D regards Sean

Your absolutely correct Sean. I was told this by the owner, forgot it and wrote it up wrong. Under the letters RGA there is a clearly stamped 0 and then under that 1648.

Dave