Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of satnavs with camera warnings

richardIII

Hi,

I have recently been informed that the French are going to/ have banned, the use of speed camera warnings on satnavs on pain of large fines etc. Is this true as I haven't seen anything about this in the news?

Richard

When I was reading about the SatNavs I found this as well.

http://blog.aairelan...lsary-in-france

From the spring 2012 you must also carry a Personal Breathalyser Kit.

Although only a 17 Euro fine, just another 17 Euro better spent elsewhere.

Kits to buy are approx £7

Don

Indeed, though the AA can't spell.

And make sure they're French as well, not British. The French limit is 50 mg/ml while the British is 80.

cheers Martin B

If you have been drinking and they stop you the police will test you using their own equipment not something that is being carried by you.

Waste of time and another way of getting revenue!!!!

Best wishes

Don

Does anyone happen to know if hire/rental cars will come equipped with such?

and while I am wondering - do they come with flourescent jackets too these days or must I bring my own? The latter is not an issue as I have one and have for years - I actually think it is a good idea...not sure where I could get a brethalyzer kit this side of the Atlantic

It has been a while but I may be using a car next time I am over.

Chris

Thought we had discussed this issue of the kits before and it was concluded it would not happen? Is it now going to be law? :unsure:

Tony

Thought we had discussed this issue of the kits before and it was concluded it would not happen? Is it now going to be law? :unsure:

Tony

no date fixed yet as far as I know

cheers Martin B

The Guild of Battlefield Guides has made the following info available about this to members. It is on the publicly-accessible part of the website here .

SatNav and mobile phone laws already in force.

Breathalysers after March 31st.

----------------------------------

New French Traffic Laws

Sat Navs which show speed camera locationsAs from 5 January 2012, it will be an offence if your Sat Nav has specific speed camera locations listed as "points of interest". Under the new rules it is permissible to have "Danger Areas" containing Speed Cameras marked - but these are up to 4km long on Auto-routes and 1.2 km long on other roads, a speed camera may be somewhere within this area. Some manufacturers are converting their exact locations to "Danger Areas" others are deleting all reference to cameras.

See your satnav manufacturers web site for more details:

Tom Tom

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560/?locale=en_GB

Navman

http://service.navman.com/m0100/F0110_DownLoad_Faq.aspx?bullid=101187&faqid=AllFaq

Garmin

http://www.garmin.com/uk/extras-camera-alerts/#france

New Garmin Satnavs have speed camera “Danger Zones” marked, existing models must have speed camera locations turned off.

Breathalysers

From 31 March 2012, vehicles will be required to carry a single use breathalyser in France. They must be the "NC" Standard and British sourced units are unlikely to meet this standard. However the secretary has spoken to Alcosense (0800 195 0088) who are now producing single use equipment which meets the standards. They claim to be the only manufacturer of compliant units in the UK.

Mobile Phones

From Jan. 3rd 2012, drivers caught using a mobile phone while on the road in France are liable to an on-the-spot fine of 130 Euros– and 3 penalty points if you have a French driving licence.

Simon.

Can anyone tell me why it is a good idea for it to be law to carry a breathalyzer in the car?

I have a Tom tom with euro maps. I have camera alerts but as far as I know it's only for the UK. I've used it quite a bit in europe and don't remember it going off when approaching cameras in any other countries.

Here

Rules on the radar alert devices have been clarified – new ones sold in France will in the future have to be certified suitable by the government. In fact police do not have powers to check on software on the old ones or on smartphones, however, in theory people who have these should not activate camera-checking functions. The government says in any case, they will eventually become obsolete if they are not updated.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/news_articles.php?id=3350

I have just run the upgrade on my Tomtom device, and it included the removal of speed cameras in France. I could have de-selected that option, but that would seem foolish.

Keith

Breathalysers ... From 31 March 2012, vehicles will be required to carry a single use breathalyser in France...

Does anyone know if the French are going make these avaiable at entry points into France? I was planning on driving from Italy into France this summer...

Trajan

Am i the only one failing to see the point of having a breathalyzer thingy in your car ? If you get stopped by the poilce they will use their own equipment. So wot's the point (apart from raising money) of them.

If i'm in france for 5 days do i need 5 ? As i assume that if they are for single use i would still need to have a useable one after i'd checked myself.

Truck drivers are going to love this...... not.

Yes, it would be good to know where to purchase the breathalyser kits from - if anyone knows?

Found this

http://www.valuebreathalysers.co.uk/acatalog/breath-alcohol-detector-0-05-percent-bac-testing.html

• Admin

Yes, it would be good to know where to purchase the breathalyser kits from - if anyone knows?

Might be worth checking with your ferry operator. At present they give you a leaflet with your boarding information explaining all the equipment that you will need (don't know if it's been updated since January). You can usually buy items on the ferry or prior to boarding (at a premium over your local Halfords who currently have a selection - don't know if any are authorised in France http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_226211_langId_-1)

For those who asked the idea is you check yourself and if over the limit - don't drive.

I'm baffled by this breathalyzer business. I live half of the year in France and the other half just over the border. I have yet to see anything definitive about it, much less what I am supposed to do with it.

Even our local automobile club hasn't said anything yet; nothing in the papers, or on the news.

Surely these items must be appearing at all the hypermarkets and the like.

The reservation that I have about the link in post 22, is that although it claims they are used by police forces , there is no definite confirmation that they meet the requirements in France.

Keith

I got one from the local garage here in West Yorks, £4.99.