Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discovery of remains of 21 German soldiers

Martin Bennitt

maybe, but I'd rather not have my name attached to that headline. cheers Martin B

I've amended the title to something a little more prosaic...

Sorry Martin

Keith

thanks mods

only because it referred to something that came up well after I posted, you understand :whistle:

cheers Martin B

I have moved this topic back into "Recovering the Fallen" which is where martin had sensibly started it before I began merging topics and accidentally relocated it.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the amazing photo's, Norman. This site was truly frozen in time; one of the diggers said it felt a bit like discovering Pompeii, I can imagine his feelings. The collapsed walls still show this must have been a terrible place on march 18 1918. Too bad this tunnel is not going to be preserved completely and on site.

At least we still have these fabulous pics!

Roel

• 2 months later...

Are there any information about their funeral?

Fritz

• 1 year later...

Are there any information about their funeral?

Fritz

The official funeral for the 21 kia will take place July 19th 2013 on VdK war cemetery Illfurth/Alsace

Buried within sight of a very significant burial too, I see (the first German combat casualty of the war is buried within 20 yards of their grave locations...just beyond the kameradengrab and air force memorial visible on a few of those shots). Glad they were buried at the top of the cemetery near to the men of 6/RIR 94 who were buried there in 1958 though ... wouldn't have seemed quite as dignified watching the crowd trying to stop themselves from rolling down the hill if they did it further down!

Many thanks for the newspaper link, the D Mail consistently publishes items of interest concerning both WW2 and WW1 such as this one and always illustrated with excellent photos. A decent and dignified burial was what these men deserved and justly received.

Regards

Norman

• 2 weeks later...

Two old postcards (mine) of the German cemetery at Illfurth:

9441267411_ef29822257_z.jpg

and

9441267513_1dd3f77732_z.jpg

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This week a German TV station aired a documentary about 3 individuals, lost sons of the Great War. One is telling the story of the Lieutenant that was kia in the Kilianstollen. Very interesting film about the 3 and lots of video material about the excavation works. Rare, never seen pictures from WW1 .

Here is the link to the episode

A truly fascinating documentary Egbert. Thanks for posting.

Roel