Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discovery of remains of 21 German soldiers

Martin Bennitt

Problem is: the tunnel used to be under 6 meter of sand. So I assume the surface at the site used to be 6 meter higher than now, because the tunnel in the pictures is at ground level.

This tunnel isn't going to survive restoring the old situation.

Roel

Maybe they will do what they did at the Temple of Abu Simbel: deconstruct the entire thing and reconstruct it elsewhere...?

-Daniel

Having visited a few tunnels (and Abu Simbel) it just wont feel the same without the soil.

And no UNESCO-funding for this project, I'm afraid... :unsure:

Volksbund with support from official government offices in Berlin presently are searching for surviving NOK of Karl Müller from Kassel.

NOK for Feldwebel August Hütten from Aachen have been identified and contacted

Volksbund with support from official government offices in Berlin presently are searching for surviving NOK of Karl Müller from Kassel.

NOK for Feldwebel August Hütten from Aachen have been identified and contacted

Great news!

I was trying to look up the others last night on the weltkriegsopher site but it was not loading for some reason. Maybe today or tomorrow I will try again.

-Daniel

In re-reading the Spiegel article I was struck by the following statement:

The remains of around 10 to 20 German soldiers from the war are usually found in France and Belgium each year, said Kirchmeier.

Where do these findings get announced? By Volksbund? Elsewhere? What efforts are made to identify the remains, if any? Do burials/funerals get publicized anywhere?

Sorry if the answer is obvious but it is something I never really considered before.

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

The most recent pictures are to be found here: http://www.lieux-insolites.fr/cicatrice/14-18/kilian/kilian.htm

Archeological work on the site came to an end yesterday, 11th November 2011. Part of the gallery has been removed and will be reconstructed elsewhere for visitors, together with the personal effects of the men found. The rest will be destroyed as road building continues.

Christina

Thanks Christina. Very interesting link and archaeological report

cheers Martin B

• 2 months later...

The photos of the trench are quite stunning. One of the unidentified items looks like a pouch with coins in it...some of the other items are id'd in the comments.

Norman, and poeds, thanks for the link.

-Daniel

Thanks for the link, Norman. I wonder why the DM has decided to run this three month old story as as if it were current news? I suppose it ties in with 'Birdsong' or something.

Belatedly, thank you Christina for the link to the interesting le Kilianstollen page. I hadn't seen the post before today.

Gwyn

PS It would be clearer if the topic heading included the word 'Alsace' as it originally did.

Gwyn I am just very grateful that this UK newspaper does pick up on this type of story and has consistently posted the articles on its website. I am also cognizant of the fact that there is no duty on the newspaper to publish such stories but I am very pleased that they do.

Regards

Norman

Some of the DM readers' comments are revolting. Any excuse to have a pop at the Germans.

Yes, agreed, Norman, but I genuinely don't understand what's prompted them to run a story three months late.

Some of the DM readers' comments are revolting. Any excuse to have a pop at the Germans.

Some folks will never 'forgive', and that is just the way it is. I have come to accept that. Not everyone can always be on the right side of history. I don't know how others feel but I suspect at least some of the families of the German dead are as angry at the German government for dragging them into the war in the first place as some of these blokes are, especially since it cost them their fathers, brothers and sons.

Daniel

poeds and Norman, thanks for the link with latest pictures!

The vast majority of the British comments are fair, but as usual there are always some hooligans that will never understand. The posting of the ex-Brit serviceman sum it up nicely. (Thanks God the article was not posted on the Tottygraph or Sun......)

Belatedly, thank you Christina for the link to the interesting le Kilianstollen page. I hadn't seen the post before today.

Same here! But what I don't get (as I put on my non-Phil Harding archaeologist's hat!) is the Daily Mail's apparent insinuation that that the site was unknown and found by accident! (Nearly a century later, French archaeologists stumbled upon the mass grave on the former Western Front in eastern France during excavation work for a road building project.)

A pound to a penny says that surveys regarding the initial devolopment knew what was likely to be found there?

Also I thought it rather off-putting and distasteful the way the DM HAD to add: It is estimated that over 165,000 Commonwealth soldiers are still unaccounted for on the Western Front. The point here being what exactly?

Mind you, nice photo's :)

Trajan

The text is identical, as far as I can see. They've even included that bizarre comment from the Mail that there are 165000 Commonwealth soldiers still unaccounted for on the Western Front. Whatever that means.

Wonder who published first?

Gwyn

PS Martin - your original thread on this actually started in September!

Edited by Dragon

And not to be outdone, the Sun now runs the same story, same words. Sun.

And I am afraid that all bear the hallmarks of the cheap, lazy journalism that is the press in the UK today. I cannot say I am surprised at some of the comments left by readers of the Daily Mail (which, to be fair, are balanced by ones posted by human beings).