Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where in the UK can I handle equipment, particularly SMLE

Guest BillHodge

I too was there & can only agree echo your view on what a fantastic day it was.

Some wonderful firearms and I even managed to achieved results that surprised the person teaching me about the rifle as much as they did me; especialy with the AI AW sniper rifle. Off topic being a modern rifle but what so fantastic to shoot with! I did consider the suggestion of the guy teaching me that I should join a club and buy one but the dream didn't last long as I soon realised Mrs Ice Tiger would not be too happy with me spending £7,000 on a rifle and another £2,000 on a scope :angry:

See you there in September - Perhaps we can make it a GWF day out?

Andy

I didn't go near the AI for that very reason, its worth more than my car.

For scoped I went with the Dragunov ( just a bit of pocket change compared to the AI at £2000 for the rifle) and managed a pretty decent 2 maybe 3 inch group (3 in the Bull and 2 in the 4 ring). As for the rest, I need to work on shooting with iron sights as they weren't anything to brag about. As I thought, firing fullbore has helped my smallbore shooting as now I bearly notice .22LR firing compared to the kick of a .303.

Yeah I think a GWF day out would be a great idea, though I'm wearing boots next time as white trainers were a bad idea.

Gaz

Down to Short Siberia this weekend to try out my new rifle. I had forgotten how much it cost for a new one and as a Yorkshireman I'm still in mourning!:( I have however decided to buy myself an SMLE and Gewehr 98 when I leave this job and the Queen gives me my lump sum! The problem is wading through the dross out there to find a good original for a decent price.

I've just organised to shoot the Steyr Hahn in both normal and automatic as I need to check the fired cases as part of an experiment. I love my job :) (and fortunately my next will still permit me my little jollys!)

Rod

Any job vacancies with you? I think you may have my dream job. :lol:

Gaz

Any job vacancies with you? I think you may have my dream job. :lol:

Gaz

Depends how well you handle explosives and blow things up!:D Oh and the ability to drive fast on Blue Lights helps!!

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

The Tank Museum Bovington has various items of kit including I believe a SMLE for the public to handle. The 60 pound pack is amazing and to think that the soldiers carried such a weight into battle.All this is part of the WW1 display which includes replica dugouts etc.

Norman

A slight digression, but it's worth noting that nothing much changes in terms of the dismounted soldier's burden. There's a common misconception that Great War soldiers were horribly overburdened in comparison with their earlier and later counterparts, but the combat load in WW2 was very similar and today we carry upwards of 80 lbs of body armour, ammo, water, ECM eqpt etc. My first view of Southern Iraq in 2003 was of trenches, wire and cold, tired, hungry soldiers and marines - but for the uniforms it could've been any time from the 17th century onwards! At the lowest tactical level not as much has changed as you might think...

Anyway, apologies for hijacking this thread!

• 1 month later...

....Oh and the ability to drive fast on Blue Lights helps!!

I can & do drive fast on blue lights; now where do i sign? :w00t:

For those who missed the last open day at Bisley the next one is SATURDAY 08 SEPTEMBER

Click HERE if you want to register

Andy

I will make sure I am there this time Andy!

I am there this weekend for nefarious reasons which I shall report back about next week!

...but it wil have to be in Skindles as it is all modern tinware.

Regards

TonyE

I will make sure I am there this time Andy.....

Will be good to see you Tony

Andy