Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where in the UK can I handle equipment, particularly SMLE

Guest BillHodge

Guest BillHodge

I have seen First World War weapons and equipment in many museums, but would really like to handle some of the weapons, either originals or authentic replicas, that my grandfather used in the trenches (most of which my father also used in the Second World War). For example, I would like to see at first hand how the Lee Enfield rifle works, operate the bolt, load the magazine using charger clips, fix and unfix a bayonet, etc. Ideally, I would like to actually fire a Lee Enfield, but that is probably asking too much. I would be grateful for advice as to where, in the UK, I could actually handle First World War weapons.

Bill

Register for the National Rifle Association Open Day. You can then get to fire an SMLE with the HBSA.

The next one is I think in May. Keep an eye on the NRA website.

http://www.nra.org.uk/

Regards

TonyE

The Tank Museum Bovington has various items of kit including I believe a SMLE for the public to handle. The 60 pound pack is amazing and to think that the soldiers carried such a weight into battle.All this is part of the WW1 display which includes replica dugouts etc.

Norman

I have seen First World War weapons and equipment in many museums, but would really like to handle some of the weapons, either originals or authentic replicas, that my grandfather used in the trenches (most of which my father also used in the Second World War). For example, I would like to see at first hand how the Lee Enfield rifle works, operate the bolt, load the magazine using charger clips, fix and unfix a bayonet, etc. Ideally, I would like to actually fire a Lee Enfield, but that is probably asking too much. I would be grateful for advice as to where, in the UK, I could actually handle First World War weapons.

Bill

Hi Bill

Don't know where your from, I have a deactivated SMLE 1917, PM me.

Gerwyn

Register for the National Rifle Association Open Day. You can then get to fire an SMLE with the HBSA.

The next one is I think in May. Keep an eye on the NRA website.

http://www.nra.org.uk/

Regards

TonyE

Hi TonyE

I've thought about firing one of these, thank you for the info.

Gerwyn

That open day is very tempting, I've been contemplating getting into full bore shooting for a while now. It seems like a good way to try it out. Shame Bisley is a 3 hour drive though.

Gaz

Plenty of good advice already given, but assuming you're in the UK as to handling period weapons and equipment, there are plenty of good WW1 living history groups in the UK who would probably oblige (if you asked nicely) at an event at which they were putting a display on. Just a few linked below:

http://www.thewarwicks1418.com/

http://www.10thessex.org/

http://www.gordonhighlanders1914-18.co.uk/

W.G. Any good Living History Group will let you handle the kit, as Andrew has said. Where are you, I'll see if my group The Rifles are putting anything on in your area.

Gaz See if there any Rifle Clubs in your area, a quite word with the secretary should get you in on a guest day, and most clubs have a member with a SMLE in the cupboard.

Gareth

Guest BillHodge

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm in Co Durham but am happy to travel. I'll be on holiday in Dorset at Easter, so will check out the Tank Museum.

Bill

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm in Co Durham but am happy to travel. I'll be on holiday in Dorset at Easter, so will check out the Tank Museum.

Bill

Hi Bill

It would be to far to travel to where I live, its South Wales, good luck.

Gerwyn

i went to the bisley open day last year and got to fire various versions of the lee enfield.wow is all i can say.definately worth any drive to get there.all i can say is hang on tight cause the old girls do'nt arf kick

WHG, I live in county durham & have several deact brit/colonial rifles from snider to slr & associated bayonets, would be more than happy to let you handle any of them mate or the DLI museum used to have rifles that you could handle (been a few years since I have been there tho)

If you're in Durham, the Durham Pals living history group are extremely close by! They're at Beamish the first weekend of March (i'm a member but unfortunately won't be there). Regarding the DLI Museum, oddly enough for a WW1 British Service Rifle they have the Long Lee instead of the SMLE in the weapons handling area!

Regarding the DLI Museum, oddly enough for a WW1 British Service Rifle they have the Long Lee instead of the SMLE in the weapons handling area!

The Long Lee is still perfectly valid for the museum as it was a major WW1 British service rifle, particularly for the earlier years of the war and also TA units.

Perhaps they are trying to cover more bases, and have a rifle which saw Boer War service as well.! I think most smaller museums just use what they have available.

Cheers, S>S

There will be (hopefully) an NRA Open Day at Altcar ranges (nr Formby, Merseyside) in August. Its usually on the Bank Holiday weekend. There should be some Lee Enfield shooting (I have run the 'Classics' for a couple of years).

My hesitancy is becuase there have been some significant redundancies in the NRA recently which may impact the Open Day.

i went to the bisley open day last year and got to fire various versions of the lee enfield.wow is all i can say.definately worth any drive to get there.all i can say is hang on tight cause the old girls do'nt arf kick

You stop noticing that once you get used to it, and start noticing how quick the reload stroke is... :D

Regards,

MikB

Well I am booked in for the open day at Bisley, it was too good a opportunity to miss :D

• 1 month later...

The Long Lee is still perfectly valid for the museum as it was a major WW1 British service rifle, particularly for the earlier years of the war and also TA units.

Perhaps they are trying to cover more bases, and have a rifle which saw Boer War service as well.! I think most smaller museums just use what they have available.

Cheers, S>S

It wasn't the standard rifle though, and has a very large collection of weapons, they do have one SMLE on display but compared to two long Lees it's not particularly representative. Aside from that though, the chance to play with an MG08 and MG08/15 is much appreciated

Well I am booked in for the open day at Bisley, it was too good a opportunity to miss :D

Will see you there then :)

Andy

• 1 month later...

Well I did the open day, fired all manner of firearms, my shoulder is well tenderised but it was so worth the 3 hours drive. In total I fired, the SMLE, No4, K98, Mosin-Nagant, Dragunov, .308 target rifle, plus a few other random items.

Gaz

Well I did the open day, fired all manner of firearms, my shoulder is well tenderised but it was so worth the 3 hours drive. In total I fired, the SMLE, No4, K98, Mosin-Nagant, Dragunov, .308 target rifle, plus a few other random items.

Gaz

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

I had hoped to be there to assist on the HBSA targets but circumstances conspired against it. Sorry I missed you and maybe we can meet another time.

Cheers

TonyE

No worries Tony, I dare say I'll be a regular visitor to Bisley now I know about these open days. Its just a shame its so far away from me, the facilities there are fantastic.

Gaz

i knew you would love it at bisley garron. i did'nt manage to get there this time but they have another one in september i'm hoping to go to. I knopw what you mean about the shoulder. what did you think of bisley.it looks like it has'nt changed much from ww1 times with the old buildings

I'm hoping I can get to the one in September too, work and finances permitting. its rather addictive. My shoulder is still sore now but on the up side, firing a .22LR Tuesday will now be dream compared to a Mosin-Nagant or a K98.

It is a fantastic place, every discipline of shooting is catered for, like I said Its just a shame for me that its 150 miles away. Quite a few of the people I spoke to were shocked I'd driven 150 miles to get there.

I was walking though and some parts do have a time warp feel going on. At one point I thought I'd wondered off and ended up in a housing estate as there are what looks like houses dotted all around the place. (If I win the lottery I'd gladly but one with that on my doorstep)

Gaz