Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC site is Up!

River97

Keith

WW2 Civilians don't have cemetery details. They never have. CWGC does not record their burial places as it is not responsible for the graves.

They have 'Reporting Authorities' as it was local authorities and similar who had to report the deaths. No burial location was recorded.

These are still listed as 'Cemeteries' in the cemetery list and you can search them if you know where the person died otherwise you have to search by name. This is exactly the same as in the previous system.

Egbert

I get your point but CWGC does not use language accents etc as a matter of policy!

I get your point but CWGC does not use language accents etc as a matter of policy!

Understandable, suggest to use "Koeln" or "Cologne"

Keith

The locality is there under both Cologne and Koln - and it always has been. This is not new.

However, being able to search Locality has just shown it up. I will report it. It is a database issue and nothing to do with the website search.

Terry

Thanks for the explanation about the two issues.

For civilians - no issue, if they don't have a location, just a reporting authority then that is the way to go.

For cemeteries though, Cologne does come up as a location, and selecting it brings up one cemetery only, while a name search on Cologne brings up the others.

I appreciate that it is to do with the exact structure of the database, but perhaps the search routine could be broadened in some way. I had the advantage of knowing about the Cologne South Cemetery. Others especially the casual visitor to the site, might not have.

Keith

EDIT

Terry I type, and think too slowly - you have spotted it.

keith

Keith

The issue is already reported to those that can fix it.

The Localities are a fixed list within the database and I suspect that Cologne and Koln will end up being merged to avoid the confusion. Now searching on Locality is possible some of these anomalies may crop up though they should have been spotted years ago.

Everything working well for me now and the new site looks great. Looking forward to then adding search for the extra info. that they hold.

Annette

Brilliant stuff. The search engine is great! The rest of the site looks really interesting too. Well done to all concerned.

Chris C

Looks good to me, I'm in the process of working through 6,000 WW1 casualties from Portsmouth and just in a couple of hours searching and inputting tonight I have found it a lot more enjoyable to use. The old search facility was starting to show its age. As has already been stated there are a few things that would be nice to see, but its a start! Just a shame it came along when I am 75% through my database (and thats if you exclude the 2,549 WW2 casualties I worked on for a previous project!).

Having been responsible for introducing new websites/software systems etc, no matter how hard you try in preparation you are always going to get the odd glitch or teething problem, but often its only by putting something 'out there' that you get to iron them out.

It is good to have more fields available for searching, however one wonders why it can not provide the drop down lists and more advanced search capabilities of Geoff's engine. :(

Can anyone say if the Login/Registration verification page is down for a reason. I got an email to verify the registration but the page appears with a 404 error.

Great that you can search by Military Medal for example. It seems CWGC have listened to the folks they consulted

Regards Steve

Thiepval Anglo-French Cemetery, Authuille in France

0 record(s) match your search criteria

:angry2:

Tom,

When I did the search I came up with 61 entries. Long way round, but searched all cemeteries in France and scrolled through the alphabetical list until I found the one you are after.

Here is the link.

Cheers Andy.

Boreenatra, I've had the same problem. I did comment on their Facebook page yesterday in the hope someone would pick it up as an issue, but no sign yet

Tom

There is a known glitch which appears to affect about thirty cemeteries which was discovered yesterday morning. It is being resolved and will be fixed today (I am told).

New site looks good but Geoffs Search Engine still diffcult to beat. How can I access all the men from my home town who are named on data base?

Wesley Wright

Wesley

I you read further up the thread, you will see that the CWGC site mentions that searching of the Additional Information field is due shortly. I have asked what the timetable is for this and will report it here when I hear.

This will then feed off the 'live' CWGC database and so include all casualties added in recent years along with the tens of thousands of data amendments that have been made.

Tom

There is a known glitch which appears to affect about thirty cemeteries which was discovered yesterday morning. It is being resolved and will be fixed today (I am told).

Terry - thanks.

Only to be expected that there will be teething problems, and I wont start "complaining" (if required :whistle: ) until the new system has had time to settle in.

Must say I was very surprised to be told that Thiepval didnt exist (of all places !), but I have previously exchanged correspondence with the CWGC about "Authuille" and the confusion that place has historically caused in their indexing.

This "downloading to sort" process is going to take some getting used to, for us technophobes !

Tom

I was able to access the site yesterday and did a couple of quick searches just to see how it runs and what it produces. I must say it's very nice indeed.

Terry, please pass on my thanks - a great job well done.

Hi Terry

The old CWGC site used some excellent summaries of Battles, etc. under the 'Histories' section. I note that there is a 'History' section on the new site - here - but the links off this page are not as yet connected.

I have often used these pages as background reading for my own websites - e.g. click-click . I am hoping that once they will be included on the new site and if so once they are up and running will still be accessible using the old ip addresses.

Thanks (sorry to add another item to your growing list)

Graham

Thanks, Tom

You just gave me the clue needed to appreciate why that particular cemetery was not appearing correctly!

Terry - is it the "Authuille" issue raising its ugly head again :o

I must say that when I raised this problem with CWGC, quite some time ago, I wasnt hugely impressed with either the response or the "solution". A bit of a fudge, really.

Water under the bridge, but as we are forced to rely more and more on these digital search engines, which dont accomodate any kind of "alternative thinking", the more these frustrations (and failed searches) creep in.

Tom

and just realised all links I have on web sites to individuals are now broke as the url's are different. :(