Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC site is Up!

River97

Here is the new link for the new look CWGC site. I have just gone on to have a look and the old link no longer worked. so had to Google it.

I have not had a play yet, but looks quite different.

Cheers Andy.

Edit:- The search engine is a lot more substantial already. This is like being a kid in a candy store.

No keyword search though, Geoffs is still the 'go to' site.

True, no keyword search, but an enormous improvement from the old site, and the data can be exported to exel.

Still playing, but I'm already suitably impressed, good on them.

Cheers Andy.

Another Edit: I see the Cemetery Search will link to Google Maps - now that's impressive. This is awesome, as I'll be in Prague in five months and I had intended visiting the CWGC cemetery. I can now pin-point it on the map before I go.

Had a play around the site this evening and it is 'Tre's Bon'!

At last.

No keyword search though, Geoffs is still the 'go to' site.

Geoffs site works up until you click for the the actual casualty details. It then says

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Hywyn

Links previously saved via Geoffs do not now seem to work.

Hywyn

Edit: I am presenting these comments as facts and not as a critique on any of the two search sites

Is it just me but are ALL previous links to a casualty b$gg$red up yet again. The brief from the CWGC stated that the original links would be maintained in the new system.

Norman

Example:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=334287

From the CWGC Spec:

The current site is prone to third parties being able to harvest data from the “Search our Records” function due to the sequential and predictable nature of the URLs and ID’s involved. A solution is required to obfuscate parameters to lessen the probability of this continuing. Any solution provided should allow for URLs in existence prior to implementation to still resolve as expected – the implementation of this functionality should not be retrospective

Searching for an aircrew in Hannover yesterday on the old site, took about an hour manualy, just now took me 2 minutes! . So thumbs up from me

Very interesting but has anyone got an opinion on my post 9?. Members will no doubt remember that the failure to retain the original record URL was the reason why the last attempt by the CWGC to revise the database search facility was abandoned, surely they have not repeated the same error again even after clearly including this facility in the latest spec for the "new" system?.

Norman

Folks

Tweeks are still being made to the site today now that it is live.

I am told that the old links will work.

The search on the Additional Information field is in the pipeline and will be added shortly along with some other features.

Thanks Terry for the latest info, the retention of the old URL facility was not a "Tweak" as I understand but a part of the specification issued by the CWGC for the new search facilities. I cannot see why when this was quite clearly stated as a requirement that the new software has been made live without this part actually functioning. However it will be interesting to see when it is available.

Regards

Norman

Folks

The search on the Additional Information field is in the pipeline and will be added shortly along with some other features.

...wil I find Gottfried than?

I think the developers have found the whole task rather more challenging than they expected. I had an email reply from CWGC in October from which I quote below

"Our new website is currently in the User Testing Phase. If all goes well, we will be in a position to launch the site at the end of this year."

I hope they do get that issue sorted out as we are aware of so many whose work links to it. I am like you surprised that that issue was not resolved before the launch. Fingers crossed for those who have sites linking to the database.

Keith

Casualty info (including links) working fine for me, some glitches with find a cemetery, but now fine

Only thing that looks like it might not work are old links to the certificate - this now seems to be generated on the fly through JavaScript.

Good news.

Keith

Registration validation erroring at the moment for me.

The new casualty links by default have the name at the end, but a bit of experimentation suggests it's not required, you can delete anything after /casualty/number/ and still get back the record. So if anyone has a site which links to the old format it's a fairly simple find and replace to change to the new one just in case they stop supporting the old-style links at some point in the future

Today wanting to double check a date of death I went to the new site, and every search I made for my man came up with error, I evan tried looking under the cemetery but still I only get error message :angry2:

Folks

Certainly a much smarter site. I've tried the links to soldiers and cemeteries embedded in my 'grandadswar' website and they seem to be working.

Not so the links to the mini-histories on the supplementary pages on the old CWGC site - in fact they don't go there from googling them.

Also the new page is too wide - needs its parameters shrinking to fit screen.

However, as Terry says, early days yet so I'm sure these snags will be ironed out. (where's the 'fingers-crossed' emoticon?)

Graham

Graham

The fit to screen is fine on my screen. It will depend on the settings of your own screen.

You may get error messages today as the site is adjusted on the live system.

The search facilities are fine from my end, I've had a couple of error's elsewhere on the site. As above, it's early days so I don't think we should be concerned. From what I have seen thus far I am super impressed already.

Cheers Andy.

Am I missing something? I can see there is a Regiment search but are you able to search at battalion level? I can't see that you can at present.

Steve

Steve

Searching on Unit proved to be a nightmare to implement at this stage so it was not included in the first phase. It is all due to the huge variety of style of information in the field.

HOWEVER, you don't need it as you simply Export the data for your chosen Regiment to your own computer as a spreadsheet and you can search or play with it as you see fit - and keep it forever. In this way you can search for battalions, ship names or squadrons as you wish.