Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Submarines in China Seas

SomersetCricketer

A search on the Catalogue of The National Archives for C38 within RG 14 (the 1911 census returns) also doesn't find any hits, though C37 does. It may be that its returns we're included under those for its depot ship perhaps

Hi

I also found the RG 14 listing which is how I managed to find C36, it meant looking at all the ships that seemed to be on/in China Station, perhaps someone will find C38 sometime.

Steve

Probably need to find C38 in the Navy List to see which depot ship she was assigned to at the time of the census, then look for the depot ship in RG 14

• 2 months later...

A question that has come up in relation to Charles John Colbran, that I am hoping someone will be able to help me with, it is in relation to something written in the Naval War Medals Roll, I have copied it here, can someone decipher the wording in Column 5 (How issued or disposed of) Univ Leg

Any help with this would be very much appreciated

SomersetCricketer

• 3 years later...

I know it's three years since this topic was started - but I've only just found it! I hope those who contributed to it are still interested.

I too had a Great Uncle Percy in the Navy although he was not a submariner. His rating was that of Painter 2nd Class at the time relevant to this topic (1911) and was to serve on the sloop HMS Merlin on the China Station.

On 17 February 1911, he joined the cruiser Pelorus from Pembroke II

Pelorus when then in the tidal basin of Portsmouth Harbour. Newspapers of the time have the following stories:

20 February 1911 Portsmouth Evening News

THE SUBMARINES FOR HONG KONG

To man the sloop Rosario, which is to be commissioned at Hong Kong by Lieut-Commander N E Archdale for service as depot ship of the Hong Kong Submarine Flotilla, a crew is under orders to leave Chatham depot to-day for Portsmouth, to embark in the cruiser Edgar for passage to the Far East. The Submarine Flotilla, which will be composed of C36, C37, and C38, the vessels being at present on passage to Hong Kong under the convoy of the cruiser Diana. Lieutenant Archdale will command the flotilla.

The cruiser Pelorus is to leave Portsmouth tomorrow for Hong Kong, calling at Gibraltar and Malta, from which latter port she [is] to tow one of the submarines to the Far East.

21 February 1911 Portsmouth Evening News

RELIEF CREWS FOR CHINA
The cruiser Hogue arrived at Spithead from Sheerness on Monday with crews for the Rosario, depot ship for the Hong Kong submarine flotilla, and the sloop Torch, and left again having transferred the crews to the Edgar, which sails for China at the end of the week.

The Pelorus left this afternoon for Hong Kong with a crew for the Merlin. On the latter part of the voyage she will tow submarines.

8 March 1911 Portsmouth Evening News

THE SUBMARINES FOR CHINA

The cruisers Diana, Pelorus and Barham have left Malta towing the three submarines on their way to the China Station. From Suez the submarines will be in tow of the cruisers Highflyer, Edgar, and Pelorus.

15 March 1911 Portsmouth Evening News

NEWS FROM THE SEA

Suez – Highflyer and Submarine C37, Edgar and Submarine C38, and Pelorus and Submarine C36 left for Aden

6 April 1911 Dundee Courier

MOVEMENT OF WARSHIPS

Edgar, Pelorus and a submarine left Colombo 4 April, Highflyer left Colombo 2 April

11 April 1911 Great Uncle Percy wrote a postcard from Singapore to his sister in London: "Just a line to say that we arrived here today & Submarine C.36. Hope this will find you in the best of health, Percy"

19 April 1911 Portsmouth Evening News

NEWS FROM THE SEA

Singapore – Monmouth, Flora, Pelorus and Submarines C36, C37 and C38 sailed April 14

24 April 1911 Dundee Courier

MOVEMENT OF WARSHIPS

Flora, Monmouth and Pelorus at Hong Kong 20 April

There is a point of interest here concerning the 1911 Census taken on 2 April when the vessels were at Colombo and had not reached Hong Kong. Pelorus's complement was 224 officers and men, but on census night there were 302 men aboard - the difference being made up by the bulk of the relief crew for Merlin. I've not looked at the other vessels in the convoy, but it might be a useful exercise for those with their great uncles on the subs.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Further to C37 I have a copy of the Daily Graphic dated Monday 4th April 1910.

An article & picture that reads "Lost At Sea" A sad affair happened on board the new submarine C 37 before daybreak on Saturday morning, while she and sister-boat (C 38) were being brought from (Barrow-in-Furness) to Portsmouth. Off the Lizard there was a heavy sea running. The conning-towers of both submarines were open. Lieutenant Alfred B. Prowes, of the submarine depot ship Mercury, who was in command of the new vessels was standing on the conning-tower platform of C 37 with two seamen, one of whom was steering, when a heavy sea swept over the vessel. The lieutenant was carried overboard, and being attired in oilskins and heavy sea-boots, sank immediately. No trace of him could be seen in the darkness, though the flotilla was stopped and a gunboats were lowered from the gunboat. On Friday night First-class Petty Officer William Guy of the cruiser Black Prince, lost his life in Sheerness Harbour by drowning. The body was not recovered.