Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary of the Charge of the 12th Lancers, Moÿ de l'Aisne, 28 Au

Hedley Malloch

The Centenary of the Charge of the 12th Lancers at Moÿ de l’Aisne, 28 August 2014.

The centenary of the charge of the 12th Lancers against the Prussian 1st and 2nd Garde Dragoner at Moÿ de l’Aisne, France, will be marked with a day of commemorations to be held at Moÿ de l’Aisne.

Events will include:

· A service in the local church;

· The dedication of a new memorial to the British fallen;

· A ceremony of remembrance in the CWGC plot in the communal cemetery;

· Beating the Retreat.

Among those participating will be:

· The 10th Essex Living History Group: 50 members in 1914 B.E.F. uniform, both as marching infantry, and on cycles. They will be bringing their fully restored 1914 B.E.F. ambulance. For further details see: http://www.10thessex.org/

· The War Horse Ride comprising 35 riders each representing a regiment or corps that comprised the British Army Cavalry Division in France in 1914. Riders will wear the same uniform and carry the same equipment as their predecessors. They will bring a 13pdr. field gun drawn by a six-horse gun team, and a contemporary horse-drawn GS Wagon. The War Horse Ride is in support of the Not Forgotten Association. For more go to: http://www.warhorseride2014.com/

· Four riders representing ‘Ride the Retreat: Mons to Marne Centenary 2014’. The Ride the Retreat event is to raise funds for The Horse Trust and the Army Benevolent Fund. See: https://www.facebook.com/Mons2Marne2014/info

· A marching contingent from the 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s).

· Flag bearers representing French Anciens Combattants Associations

· Members of the 9th/12th Royal Lancers and the Royal Scots Greys Old Comrades Associations.

· Representatives of the French Army.

The Band of the Royal Artillery and the Jocks’ Pipe Band will provide music throughout the day.

Timetable for 28 August 2014.

Time Event

10h00 Church Service

10h45 Parade

11h00 Inauguration of new memorial

14h45 March to Communal Cemetery

15h00 Service of Commemoration: CWGC plot in Communal Cemetery

19h00 Beating the Retreat

Everyone is welcome to attend. For those who cannot be there, BBC Midlands will broadcast the day on TV.

Thanks for posting the itinerary Hedley. It should be an interesting day.

Cheers, Cliff

Thanks for the heads up Hedley. A small group of us are planing to be there to commemorate the exploits of a Lancer from our village. I expect bed-spaces will be at a premium thereabouts!!

Lionboxer

• 1 month later...

I'll be in Moÿ with a group on Sunday 31st. Could I ask where exactly the new memorial is being erected?

Thanks

Simon

I'll be in Moÿ with a group on Sunday 31st. Could I ask where exactly the new memorial is being erected?

Thanks

Simon

Simon,

Looking at their website, and with a little help from Google translate, I`d say it will be somewhere in the town square.

Regards,

John

http://centenaire-moydelaisne.over-blog.com/nouvel-article

This commemorative day is busy. It will start at 8:00 (August 28th) with a breakfast hosted by the Municipality of Moÿ-Aisne the British came for the occasion. At 9 h 30, the race will start for the church, where, at 10 am, a blessing will be given by two British chaplains. On leaving the church building, to 10 h 45, is organizing a training regiment that English will head the Town Hall Square. There, at 11 am, will be inaugurated a monument, with speeches and laying of wreaths by the British and the French. Midi requires an aperitif will be offered by the municipality to the British and lunch will be him, orchestrated by them.

At 14 h 30, towards the war memorial in the town for a wreath laying by the UNC. To follow 15 hours, the commemoration at the cemetery, the dead and the British call a wreath laying by the British and the French.

Then ring the time of reconstitution. At 16:30 pm, everyone is invited to gather on the "battlefield". There is an explanatory circuit is proposed, followed by a demonstration of the burden of riders 9/12 Lancers in period costume.

Two hours later, back at the town hall, 18 to 30 h, and then sounded the retreat and enjoy an aperitif by the British to 19 hours. All under the eye of cameras of the British press.

Many thanks John, yes it looks very much like it is in the place de la Mairie where the village war memorial is.

regards

Simon

Hi,

Is it possible to say if the whole regiment was involved in the charge?

I am particularly interested to know if Capt.F.W.S.Murray took part, he was later killed in action on 30th November,1914.

Many thanks,

Robert

The new monument has been erected in the square in front of the Town Hall. The new memorial commemorates not only the 12th Lancers, but those of the 20th and the Royal Scots Greys who died. The village memorial is some distance away. Enquiries about those who took part should be addressed to the 9th/12th Lancers OCA.

Thank you very much for answering my question.

Dear All,

I you are intending to be at Moy on the 28th August or Moncel on 7th September - please let me know?

Phil

Below is an expanded and updated programme for the day. Sorry about the formatting

10.00 Drumhead service at L’Eglise de St Quentin, rue

Clemenceau

10.45 Parade, rue Clemenceau

Order of March

• 9th/12th Royal Lancers Old Comrades Association under command Maj Gen Robin Searby CB

• 9th/12th Royal Lancers under command of Lt Col Richard Slack MBE
  • Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment Band
  • B.S.M WO11 Gary George
  • 10th Essex Living History Group under command of Chris Barker
  • French Anciens Combattants
  • Jock’s Pipe Band
  • War Horse Ride under command Major Geoffrey Pitt

March Past and Salute, Avenue Suzanne Deutsch The Mayor, M. Patrick Feuillet and Colonel of the Regiment, Maj Gen James Short CB OBE

11.00 Arrival of French Military Delegation

11.15 Dedication of the new memorial erected by the town of Moÿ de l’Aisne, Place de Mairie

11.30 Speeches by the Mayor and Lt Col Richard Slack

14.30 Regiment forms up at the Marie to march to the Communal Cemetery

Lay wreath at Town War Memorial, rue de la République

15.15 Act of Remembrance at the Communal Cemetery, rue Saussier Marchandise

16.30 Battlefield Tour starts from Communal Cemetery in three groups

18.30 Battlefield Tour ends

19.00 Beating the Retreat, Place de Mairie Princess of

Wales’s Royal Regiment Band

Hi all.

I was unable to attend yesterday. I'd be very grateful if anyone who attended could post a few photos of the event.

Best regards,

Cliff

It was featured on EMT (East Midlands Today) fronted by the muppet who said 'Most of the veterans are now dead' (Day before at Thiepval) EMT have been to Ypres, Thiepval and finally yesterday covering the 9/12 Lancers. You should be able to get it on iplayer.

SteveM

Superb day and fitting tribute. I think that anyone who contributed or partook in the day should fell immensely proud of themselves. No doubt a full account of the day will appear soon.

Lionboxer

PS Not quite the highlight of the day for me, but a strange coincidence that I should be sitting within two people of Hedley Malloch at the supper given by the Lancer's.