Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GOT ME ONE

DAVE PLATT

I understand - so far - that the "WR" markings date from the initial introduction of a South African civilian firearms database in the 1970s. Hence, if this is indeed where "WR" comes from, it will be entirely unconnected with any previous military or ownership marks - especially on rifles as old as Sniders or Long Lees.

I assume that all of these Long Lees with "WR" and the Union ownership mark (I've had three or four myself) must have been sold out of military service just after WW2.

I understand - so far - that the "WR" markings date from the initial introduction of a South African civilian firearms database in the 1970s. Hence, if this is indeed where "WR" comes from, it will be entirely unconnected with any previous military or ownership marks - especially on rifles as old as Sniders or Long Lees.

I assume that all of these Long Lees with "WR" and the Union ownership mark (I've had three or four myself) must have been sold out of military service just after WW2.

Your explantion sounds plausible, and based on it, I shall amend my records as they relate to my South Africa marked 1909 rifle.

For my part, I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to get a sensible and constructive answer to the issue.

LF