Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone please help ID this ww1 uniform?

adamguest

They became royalled [my new word for 2012] in 1946.

Yes indeed, a slip of my mind, I should of course have said 'Leicesters'.

Indeed, but had you done so, we would possibly never have been gifted the word "Royalled".

Indeed, but had you done so, we would possibly never have been gifted the word "Royalled".

mind you, that is probably the limit of my inventiveness for 2012! Do you know that in Oz. they "farewell" someone at a funeral; the language is truly a mutating orga[ni]sm.

Get my coat ...........

• 5 months later...
Guest coombs46

I googled John Henry Addison Coombs and stumbled across this web-site and your questions about Edward Coombs, so I've joined!

JHA Coombs was my grandfather (you have him down as died 1914, but he lasted to 1954), so Edward would have been my great uncle. As well as the 4 brothers you refer to there were more: Arthur, Sarah, Albert, Samuel, Emily and Edith.

I haven't researched much on the Coombs side, but from what I have I can see that Edward and Elizabeth (nee Woodford) had 2 children: Elizabeth and Doreen. Doreen didn't marry, but Catherine married Ronald Brinsden and they had 3 children: Jill, Christine and Peter. Jill married Ernest Ede. But that's where my trail runs cold.

Happy to exchange anything on the Coombs family. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Roy

His garment might be the 7 button frock: I can see no braiding down the front, whereas it is visible in shoulders?

Yes, that is a good spot, although if it is indeed a frock it is a remarkably well fitting one, perhaps 'nipped' in by the battalion tailor.