Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms, regiment ID

Mania

Cheers mate.

TD

This photo of some Grenadiers (I was looking for it) is courtesy of John Gregory and shows how the cap was unadulterated both before and during WW1. The 'swanking up' of the peaks was a typical post war thing I believe.

post-599-0-54568200-1326154422.jpg

seemingly in/ before 1920 when Guards MG Battalion disbanded, I think. See C:\Users\david langley\Documents\1 Docs originated laptop\GWF material\Postcards-GreatWarForum.html post 2303.

And this shows some Coldstreamers in Guard Order (one pouch) and again with unadulterated peaks.

post-599-0-49660500-1326212476.jpg

Right, but what about the caps worn by the POWs sitting on the left? Look like the ones from the picture of Scots (two of them actually)...from the first post? What kind of cap is that? British Army, Russian, home -made?

Right, but what about the caps worn by the POWs sitting on the left? Look like the ones from the picture of Scots (two of them actually)...from the first post? What kind of cap is that? British Army, Russian, home -made?

Which picture in which post#? two of the men in post #1 are wearing a Glengarry, the standard headgear at that time of the Scottish Infantryman (excluding Scots Guards).

Sam

I think Mania is refering to the two on the left in the first picture wearing what looks like cap comfiters, Don't know about then but the one's I had were a tube of woolen material about two foot long, maybe ten inches wide [from memory] sewn up at each end. Which you could invert inside itself to make a hat. Think WW11 Comando films.

Regards

John

Another picture of POWs from Schneidemuhl camp, ca 1917. Any clues about the uniforms? See also my post about Schneidemuhl POW Camp, more pictures there.

post-85884-0-00383600-1326921159.jpg