Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flanders Postcards

Cnock

These images are remarkable, many thanks for posting them. Post 203 of Hill 60 is very interesting. What a deeply unpleasant task it must have been to remove the German dead from the cemeteries pictured to the few that we see today. Who undertook this task, the Germans?.

Norman :thumbsup:

Norman,

post 203 shows a museum,

during the Interbellum there were many scattered German cemeteries.

In the years 1950 graves were concentrated at Vladslo, Menen, Langemark and Hooglede

Cnock

Egbert,

Komen is indeed Comines

Eddy

I asked as I have a 1914 picture from the Comines church, but it does not match the one you have posted under Komen. I see that Comines is a border town and has the same name in Belgium and in France. So would you say I own the French Comines church picture in case you have posted the Belgium one ?

Egbert,

I know only one Comines-Komen

Eddy

Err, there is a Belgium and a French Comines, both countries seperated by the river Lys and each Comines has a church.....?

post-80-0-71727900-1329233207.jpg

Egbert,

to complicate it:

the Belgian Komen, is also called Comines,and went over some time ago to the French speaking region of Belgium

Eddy

Egbert,

as You stated before, the card I showed is the Belgian one (see title of my topic)

Eddy

Egbert,

as You stated before, the card I showed is the Belgian one (see title of my topic)

Eddy

Eddy, do you think this church is the Comines (French) church than?

post-80-0-08732900-1329236922.jpg

I got it - my church picture from 1914 is indeed the one in neigboring Comines, France.

The church must have been destroyed in the war and the French pope did a terrible job rebuilding this conrete monster .....

post-80-0-92989000-1329242225.jpg

post-80-0-32531000-1329242361.jpg

post1el.jpg

Geluwe-Terhand

German cemetery Ehrenfriedhof Nr.49

The 'Mausoleum' at the cemetery was in fact a concealed concrete oberservation post for the artillery with AA machine guns and a search light on the highest floor

Cnock