Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

gnr 177367 e w moyse m.i.c entry, what does this mean?

blackrodd

hello again pals, a bit more help please. I sent for my grandads mic,(177367 gnr e w moyse ra). underneath roll, is written RFA/278 B any chance this would this be his regiment, 278btn? many thanks rodders

rodders

No,it's the original Medal Roll reference for the issue of his medals.

The full reference gives the page number of his medal issue,so the Ledger WO329/154 page 35676,at the National Archives,will show his details,but not his unit.

From the data on the MIC we can deduce that he entered a war zone after Dec 1915.

Sotonmate

hello sotonmate, thanks for the reply. i thought it was a bit too easy, to find his regiment or unit. i've been stuck on this for a while now. any suggestions as to where to look for his battalion or regimentplease? regards and seasons greetings rodders

hello sotonmate, thanks for the reply. i thought it was a bit too easy, to find his regiment or unit. i've been stuck on this for a while now. any suggestions as to where to look for his battalion or regimentplease? regards and seasons greetings rodders

Ernest W Moyse 177367 Gunner, Royal Field Artillery, as sotonmate has already mentioned his MIC makes no reference to 15 star, so he was not abroad before 1916. Does not seem to be any military history for him either, as you no doubt know most of it was destroyed during the blitz. RFA seems to be a difficult one to follow, I too had a relative that was sent out in 1914 and KIA 1917. I have his MIC and about 12 pages of his military history(3rd division Ammunition Column) but there is no guarantee that he would of stayed with the 3rd Division at all times, guns were sent where they were needed most at any one time, or men moved around to replace losses elsewhere. Sorry cant be of more help, but thats not to say someone might turn up with more to say on the matter, good luck Sean

any suggestions as to where to look for his battalion or regimentplease? regards and seasons greetings

rodders

Rodders

There is a good chance his RFA Brigade will be listed on the Medal Roll at Kew (the reference to which you have quoted) although with RFA this is never guaranteed, that'd be your best option.

Sam

hello and thanks once again, for the help and suggestions in trying to find my grandads battalion. i'll write to kew as you suggest, rough diamond. i've made a donation, as thank you's hardly seem enough. have a prosperous 2012 pals! best regards rodders

i'll write to kew as you suggest, rough diamond.

Rodders

Kew will not do a look up, you would have to pay a researcher to do it.

What I'd suggest you do instead is put a post on the "Documents & Records Requests/Look Ups" sub-forum on here, A pal who's going to Kew will normally do it for you (and only look for a thank you) and let you know what's on it, this is a link to the sub-forum http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=166 just title your thread "Medal Roll look Up please" and give full details of what you have, also put a link to this thread in your post.

Sam

hello, rough diamond, many thanks for you,re help and excellent suggestion. i've put a request for a look out at kew so, hopefully some kind soul will be able to find out some more for me. my dad (92 in febuary) will be highly delighted, as a relative has seemingly lost everything even grandad's photo in which he's sporting a very luxurious moustache! best regards rodders

Sometimes, there can be a clue if casualties in the CWGC with a similar Service Number can be traced.

Unfortunately, there is no discernable pattern in your case... (except the only casualties in the 1773xx series, ALL ended with 4!)

Name: HOOKER. Initials: A. Rank: Driver

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. Unit Text: 3rd Div. Ammunition Col.

Date of Death: 27/11/1918. Service No: 177364

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 35. Cemetery: DAMASCUS COMMONWEALTH WAR CEMETERY

Name: WAYLING. Initials: H R. Rank: Driver

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. Unit Text: "B" Bty. 317th Bde.

Date of Death: 17/11/1917. Service No: 177394

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Wayling, of 104, Corleylands Rd., Sidcup, Kent.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 9. Cemetery: DUHALLOW A.D.S. CEMETERY

Name: BEALE, SYDNEY. Rank: Gunner

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. Unit Text: "B" Bty. 293rd Bde.

Date of Death: 03/11/1918. Service No: 177314

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 2. Cemetery: BREBIERES BRITISH CEMETERY

Hooker is the closest, so MIGHT be a pointer, but you'd best wait for a Pal to have a look at the Medal Rolls in Kew for you.

Once you have his unit, you might then want to post to see if the War Diary for his unit is readily available!

Whilst you can't get his medals, you might consider replicas, and I think threads recommending reputable medal firms should be easily found using the "Search" button on the GWF masthead.

While you're waiting, can you get to the library local to where he lived?

They may well have newspaper archives or local information that might include information especially if he had been wounded etc..

There is also a link on the GWF header to the Long Long Trail, which contains masses of information about the artillery and most other aspects of WW1.

While you're waiting, can you get to the library local to where he lived?

They may well have newspaper archives or local information that might include information especially if he had been wounded etc..

In addition to this Rodders, you could try the reference Library local to where he lived for the "1919 Absent Voters Lists", if he was old enough to vote and was serving in 1918 he'd be listed there under either his/his parents/his NOK's address, this may give his Battalion.

One last question I should have asked earlier, did he Marry or have Kids during the War, Unit's were regularly listed under the column for profession.

Sam

hello, again,many thanks for the input. i'm very fortunate , kevin, as i have grandads two medals, and incised with his name etc. evidently he was not entitled to either stars. Excellent discovery on the two very close numbers to grandads, i can see, as you say, it could well be a good indication later. grandad lived at 6 husk road battersea . i attempted to find the local paper to battersea yesterday evening but didn't get very far (i'm far,far better at carpentry and joinery than computoring!) but library did'nt enter my head! i'll get onto that. (Battersea is 200 miles from here Devon) he was not wounded my dad tells me. grandad, born in 1884 he was married 8-1-1910 to mary ann (aka polly). his first child (lillian) died an 1917, at 6 yrs, pneumonia (allegedly got ill and died, coal strike!) thanks again for you're excellent detective work, i'll get plodding! regards and best wishes rodders

hello, rough diamond. yes, excellent idea! i'll get on to reference library next week, and try absent voters list. he was a fishmonger on census and army forms. my dad says he drove horsebuses at some time. yes he had 6 children altogether. his eldest daughter Lillian died 1917 from pneumonia and i believe Mabel and Kit (Katherine) were around at that time. many thanks for the information and helpful ideas, very much appreciated, as you can imagine, without this site i'd be almost playing blind mans buff! regards and best wishes, rodders

Battersea is now part of the Borough of Wandsworth (though it was a borough in its own right during WWI) - but the reference library, and local history section, is based in Battersea Libray. The microfilm of local papers is actually in the local history section rather than the reference library, more details at http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/200064/local_history_and_heritage/888/wandsworth_heritage_service

I think absent voter lists for London, when they survive, are with London Metropolitan Archives in Clerkenwell, rather than with individual boroughs, though I may be wrong

thanks david, absolutly brilliant! you've saved me some stress!! many thanks for the information, i'll get onto that as soon as i can regards rodders

London electoral rolls are now on Ancestry. See http://www.ancestry.co.uk/lma. I'm trying to clarify if this includes the Absent Voter Lists or not. They are not mentioned in the description of the record set, but the London Metropolitan Archives information sheet that's linked to does mention (specifically including Wandsworth 1918-20, but no mention of Battersea)

hello david, thanks for you're reply. i tried the ancestry link that you left but all i got was error. absent voters list, via ancestry, that would be an avenue for me to explore. thanks for you're help rodders

Odd, on the separate topic I started for this http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=174198, no-one's mentioned any issues. It looks like Wandsworth AVLs are there, but don't know about Battersea

Getting the same message using that link. had a similar result recently sending someone else an Ancestry link: could it be tied into individual accounts? There was no problem going through the front page.

Got it now - the auto-link detection in the forum software was including the full-stop in the URL. Fixed it now

many thanks david (i thought it might be whatever it was you said!) i'd be back in the dark ages if it wasn't for you on here. regards rodders

hello david, i'm still plodding away, on my grandfathers history. (177367 gnr ew moyse.) you've probably discovered and moved away from question of the absent voters list, (post #16) but just in case you're not aware, i found the "a" before the name is, indeed, absent voter. this and the significance of the letter(s) before the voter was recorded on the front page of, i think, 1936 of the voters list, battersea, where my grandfather was living. so i believe, as i couldnt find an "absent voters list", as such, the absent voter is recorded on the voters list. regards rodders

The advantage of the separate absent voters lists, where they exist, is that they list the men with their unit and regimental number, and their home address

yes david, i see what you mean. i saw one today and as you say excellent information. all i got for my grandaddy was an "a" regards rodders

And in your case he has a fairly unusual surname so you could be pretty sure of the link even with no other evidence. If you were researching a John Smith, and starting with little idea of his service, the AVL can provide that vital link between census evidence of family history and military service which means you identify the relevant MIC and start to find out what they did