Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bottle green uniform

davyr

The London Regiment was part of the Territorials (part time volunteers) and it would seem unlikely for some one to join this and then quite quickly become a driver in the RE. Training would not be at Aldershot. It would also seem unusual for a recruiting sergeant in a scarlet uniform to be recruiting for this territorial unit in 1913.

You mention in another thread that he spoke of serving in Ireland. Some of the first auxiliaries used in Ireland and made up of ex service men were initially dressed in bottle green jackets with khaki trousers. Could his memory have time shifted?

The Auxiliries and 'Black and Tans' were not established until around 1920 , after WW1.

Tony P

The Auxiliries and 'Black and Tans' were not established until around 1920 , after WW1.

Tony P

Yes I know (that's why I said formed from ex service men {starting in late 1919] ) so what's your point?

FG

Agreed with everything you said up to that last line? You may well be right but I thought the various London Regiment battalions were affiliated to King's Royal Rifle Corps, Rifle Brigade, Royal Fusiliers, Middlesex Regiment, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), East Surrey Regiment, Royal Irish Rifles, Royal West Kent Regiment and Gordon Highlanders, not the Cameron Highlanders or Royal Berkshire Regiment?

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

The London Scottish became affiliated with the Cameron Highlanders and the Hackney Rifles with the Royal Berkshire Regiment (after a period of some years with one of the regular Rifle regiments). I did not want to list all of the regiments involved, as I felt we were being drawn further and further away from the OPs query, but did not wish misleading and somewhat obdurate comment to remain uncorrected (I've known the odd real 'General' with a similar 'I am infallible' personality).

Some of the other regiments also later shifted relationships, including the LIR, who by WW2 were affiliated with the RIR, as you have mentioned. One has to be very careful when talking about the London units, as matters shifted so many times over the years.

In truth the context that I mentioned the Royal Berkshires in (i.e. "and even") was to to emphasise how wide afield from London some of the units eventually ended up.

Regards,

FS

FS

I understand your reasons. I agree also that the London Regiment is a confusing subject but I've "fallen in", Royal Berkshires/Hackney Rifles affiliation was later than the period I was thinking of, still not sure of Cameron Highlanders link though, you sure it wasn't Liverpool Scottish?

Anyway, my apologies to the OP for taking this thread off on an unhelpful tangent, I hope he finds the answers he's after.

Regards

Steve

FS

I understand your reasons. I agree also that the London Regiment is a confusing subject but I've "fallen in", Royal Berkshires/Hackney Rifles affiliation was later than the period I was thinking of, still not sure of Cameron Highlanders link though, you sure it wasn't Liverpool Scottish?

Anyway, my apologies to the OP for taking this thread off on an unhelpful tangent, I hope he finds the answers he's after.

Regards

Steve

Steve, all three units, the London Scottish, the Hackney Rifles and the London Irish Rifles shifted affiliation to the regiments I mentioned - Gordon Highlanders, Royal Berkshires and Royal Irish Rifles in the few years leading up to WW2. I did not want to go down too many rabbit holes for the reason I have explained, but forgive me if I did not make utterly clear what happened when to each and every regiment. They are a subject in themselves. PM me if you want precise chronological details.

P.S. The Liverpool Scottish were part of the King's Liverpool Regiment, had some association with the Gordon Highlanders in WW1 and became formally part of the Cameron Highlanders before WW2, at which point they also had to change their cap badge.