wow Frev you done a heap

I want to thank everyone for contributing and sharing on the website

I have added this I hope that it's ok

Special Thankyou to

Dr Kirsty Harris, The University of Melbourne

Sue Light , Great War Forum & Scarlet Finders

Frev Great War Forum

for the sharing of their research and help in compiling this list of Nurses,

without their help it could not have been done.

Frev let me know if you like your full name put down ( you will have to message me it)

Sue I have put a link to both this forums website and your Scarlets Finders website

If I have missed any one - Please let me know

The list has got so big now that I have had to spit it over 3 pages just to make in managable-

intro ( the original link) , QAIMNS A to M, QAIMNS N to Z

Jenny

Ok I have just updated the pages and put a link " Great War Forum entry by Frev" for those ladys Frev has given details on

currently there are 218 nurses

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I'm sure I still have more ladies to add - as I'm only part way down your list - just a bit side-tracked at the moment, but I'll get back to it.

Sounds like your website is starting to develop a life of it's own, ie. "out of control!" :)

I have no problem with you including my full name, which I often sign as Heather (Frev) Ford - though most people simply know me as Frev.

Cheers, Frev

A few more for you:

HALL, Alice Maud – Sister, RRC, QAIMNSR

[brit MC & SR]

Born 14/11/1872 Port Sorell, Tas – daughter of Richard HALL (district surveyor of West Devonport, d.1898) & Elizabeth Galliers STEPHENSON (d.1904) – who married in Launceston 7/12/1861

Siblings: (all born Tas) Adeline Stephenson 1863-1941; Josephine Harterton 1864-1953; Arthur Caplen b.30/7/1866 – d.24/8/1935 (surveyor); Eugene Xenophon 1868-1907; Helena Mowbray 1870-1944 NSW; Charlotte Isabella 1875-1954; Walter Richard Morrison 1877-1922 Vic ; Nona Elizabeth Galliers 1881-1972

Trained at Hobart General Hospital

Matron of Molong Private Hospital, Darlinghurst (NSW)

WW1 Service:

In England when war broke out & joined the QAIMNSR

Served England (Netley), Gibraltar, Malta, France (including a CCS)

Returned to Australia on the Friedrichsruh – embarking 9/7/1919 and arrived home in Tasmania 6/9/1919

Died 16/7/1949 at a private hospital, Sydney, NSW, age 77

The Sydney Morning Herald, Fri 18 Apr 1919:

NURSES HONOURED

Sister Alice Maud Hall, who has been awarded the Royal Red Cross, is a Tasmanian and a daughter of the late Mr Richard Hall, district surveyor of West Devonport. She was trained in the Hobart General Hospital, and was senior sister and afterwards matron of the Molong private hospital, Darlinghurst.

Sister Hall was on a visit to England when war was declared, and she at once joined the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service (Reserve). She has seen service at Netley, Gibraltar, Malta, and France, and was at a casualty clearing station during the last offensive. Sister hall is still on duty in France.

Advocate (Burnie, Tas), Tue 12 Aug 1919:

PERSONAL NOTES

Miss Hall, of “Lanark”, West Devonport, is in receipt of official information that Sister Alice Hall is on her way to Australia on the transport Freidreichruhe, which left England on July 9 and is expected to arrive at Fremantle about the 17th inst. Sister Hall has now been abroad nearly five years (having enlisted soon after the outbreak of war), and has served in various hospitals of Europe and England. She has the Royal Red Cross, which was conferred upon her by the King shortly before her departure for Australia.

Advocate (Burnie, Tas), Mon 8 Sept 1919:

PERSONAL

Sister Alice Hall, of Devonport, who served throughout the war as a nursing sister, returned home on Saturday evening, and received an enthusiastic reception from her friends. She was met a t the station by her brother, Mr A.C.Hall, and sister, Miss Hall, and motored to her home in Best street.

The Mercury (Hobart, Tas), Tue 19 Jul 1949:

DEATHS

HALL – On July 16, 1949, at a private hospital, Sydney, Alice Maud, fourth daughter of the late Richard and Elizabeth Hall.

Launceston Examiner (Tas), Wed 30 Mar 1898:

DEATH

HALL – On 29th March, Richard Hall, District Surveyor, Galliers, Leith, aged 66 years.

FUNERAL NOTICES

The funeral of the late Mr Richard hall will leave his late residence, Galliers, Leith, on Thursday, 31st inst., at 3 pm, for the Church of England Cemetery.

Examiner (Launceston, Tas), Wed 30 Mar 1904:

DEATHS

HALL – On the 27th March, at Lanark, West Devonport, Elizabeth Galliers, relict of the late Richard Hall, District Surveyor, Leith, aged 62 years.

More details for E.M. Hamilton

HAMILTON, Ellen Mary (Nellie) – (MID), Sister, QAIMNSR

[brit MC & SR]

Born 1878 Balmain, Sydney – daughter of John HAMILTON & Annie TOOMEY – who married in Balmain, NSW in 1871

John was born in Southampton, England and came to Australia in 1870 as chief engineer of the RMS Geelong – on its formation he joined the Sydney Harbour Trust, and was superintendent engineer, before he retired in Jan 1909 – he died in April 1910, age 67 & is buried at the Waverley Cemetery.

Annie died in 1929

Siblings: Robert Denis b.1873 Paddington – (worked with his father & took over his position at his death) – d.1926 Glebe; Elizabeth E. b.1877 Balmain; Beatrice A. b.1880 Balmain (Matron of Grafton Hosp, 1916); George Williamson b.1887 Kempsey –d.1961 Sydney

Annie Frances Young (eldest daughter) – marr James KEARNEY 1893 Busselton, WA – d.23/8/1916 Nannup, WA

Educated at the Dominican Convent, West Maitland

Trained at Newcastle Hospital

WW1 Service:

Embarked at Fremantle on the Orontes 21/4/1915 for England to join the QAIMNSR

Served in France & mentioned in despatches in 1915/1916

Returned to Australia in the Friedrichsruhe 1919

Died 25/2/1967 NSW

The Sydney Morning Herald, Mon 3 Jan 1916:

MENTIONED IN DESPATCHES

SISTER E.M. HAMILTON

Miss Ellen Mary Hamilton, an Australian nurse, who was recently mentioned in despatches for gallantry in France, was born at Sydney, and was educated at the Dominican Convent, West Maitland. She was trained at the Newcastle Hospital, and went to Western Australia to recuperate after a severe illness, where she remained for three or four years. At the outbreak of the war Miss Hamilton went through a course of military training at Perth, and went to England, where she was attached to the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nurses’ Reserve, and went to France, and was recently promoted to the position of sister. Miss Hamilton is a daughter of the late Mr John Hamilton, engineer in the Harbour Trust Department, and Mrs Hamilton, of St Clement’s, Toxteth-road, Glebe Point.

Miss Hamilton’s address is “General Head-quarters, British Expeditionary Forces, Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nurses’ Service Reserve, France.”

The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 4 Jan 1916:

NURSE HONOURED

[photo]

SISTER ELLEN MARY (NELLIE) HAMILTON, of Glebe Point

Who has been recommended by Field-Marshal French for gallant and distinguished service in the field. ……………………………………………………….

Her sister, Nurse Beatrice Hamiliton, is matron of the Grafton Hospital.

Western Mail (Perth), Fri 11 Feb 1916:

BUSSELTON

Sister Ellen Mary Hamilton, who as Nurse Hamilton is well known in Western Australia, ………

…………………………………………….., and sister of Mrs James Kearney, jun., of Nanup. …..

Sister Hamilton, writing to her sister, Mrs Kearney, says: “You will be pleased to hear that I have been made a Sister and entitled to wear two red bands on my sleeve. Of 29 of us who came to England, so far only two have received this distinction.”

The Sydney Morning Herald, Fri 5 Sept 1919:

DISTINGUISHED NURSE

Sister Ellen Mary (Nellie) Hamilton arrived in Sydney yesterday by the Friedrichsruhe, after a strenuous period of war work.

…………………………………., and subsequently received the Royal Red Cross.

…………………………………………………….

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 20 Nov 1929:

MRS ANNIE HAMILTON

The death took place recently of Mrs Annie Hamilton, widow of Mr John Hamliton, of Sydney Harbour Trust. The funeral left St James Church, Forest Lodge, after a short service, conducted by Rev Fr O’Flaherty, for the South Head Cemetery. She has left one son (Mr George Hamilton), two daughters (Nurses Nellie and Beatrice Hamilton), and two grandchildren (Miss Beatrice Kearney and Mr Lyndon Kearney).

Still working on this one:

HUNGERFORD, Mary C – QAIMNSR / FRC / ARC

[british MC: Mary C – French Red Cross – Matron]

RTA 26/11/1918 on the Zealandia [ANA Series no MT1487/1 – QAIMNS on loan to FRC]

[AWM12 Med file – Sister MC Hungerford]

Possibly:

Mary Catherine b.26/4/1875 Pokolbin (reg Maitland), NSW – daughter of Emanuel Beecher & Helen Henrietta (nee Blick)

Died 2/7/1963 Coogee, NSW

1930 ER: Mary Catherine, 23 Beppo St, Goulburn – trained nurse

1936 ER: Mary Catherine, 68 Cremorne Rd, Neutral Bay –nurse (with Rachel Elizabeth, typiste)

INGLIS, F L – QAIMNSR

RTA 7/8/1919 on the Katoomba for Sydney – which arrived Sydney 25/9/1919

[ANA series no MT1487/1]

[sR for a Florence Inglis – no MC]

Possibly:

Florence Lilian Inglis b.1873 NSW – daughter of William & Flora (nee McKinnon)

Died 3/8/1946, age 73, at Katoomba

SMH, Sat 10 Jun 1911:

MANLY COTTAGE HOSPITAL

Miss Le Messurier is severing her connection with the Manly Cottage Hospital, where she hold the position of matron. Nurse F.L. Inglis, late matron of Narrandera Hospital, has been appointed to fill the vacancy.

1929: Passengers that sailed on the Orama for London (via ports), which sailed from Sydney 23/4/1929, included Misses F.L. & J.M. Inglis

1929: Florence Lilian Inglis, 56 year old Australian nurse, embarked Port Said (with 17yr old Australian student, Joyce Marion Inglis) on the Narkunda – arriving London 14/6/1929 [b.c1873]

Florence Lilian Inglis:

1930, 1937 ER: 2 Darley St, Darlinghurst West – nurse

1938: Florence Inglis, 65 yr old Aus trained nurse, embarked New York on the Franconia – arriving Liverpool, England June 1938 [b.c1873]

[Florence Lilian Inglis is listed on a New York passenger list]

The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 6 Aug 1946:

DEATHS

INGLIS – August 3, 1946, at her residence, Leura, Florence Lilian, youngest daughter of the late William and Flora Inglis, Annesley, Leichhardt. Privately interred.

Amy Jackson on your list - should probably be:

JACKSON, Annie Christina – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[MC: Jackson now Duggan, Annie Christian / SR Annie Duggan]

Born 1891 Gre Gre Village, Vic (near St Arnaud) – daughter of George JACKSON & Janet FRAME – who married in Vic in 1887

Siblings (all born Gre Gre): George Isaac b.1887; Florence Irene b.1889; James Albert b.1893; Ella Jean b.1895; Herbert Ernest b.1896 – WW1: L/Cpl 1944, 57th Bn – DOW 2/8/1918 France; Decima Daisy b.1898 (teacher); Herman Leslie b.1901

Trained at the St Arnaud Hospital

WW1 Service:

Embarked on the HMS Karoola 18/12/1915 for England to join the QAIMNSR

Served France [and England (Warrington War Hosp)?]

RTA on the TS Malta 28/9/1918

Married Bernard Oscar Charles DUGGAN in 1920

[born 12/1/1887 Sutherland, (near St Arnaud) –son of John & Sarah Frances (nee Olarenshaw); WW1: Lt Col, DSO&Bar, 21st Bn – WW2 – died 1964 Ballarat]

Lived St Arnaud / Geelong / Ballarat

Applied for Repat 1959

Died 1978 St Arnaud

The Argus, Fri 6 Jul 1917:

NURSE IN THE DANGER ZONE

Miss Annie Jackson, who was trained as a nurse at the St Arnaud Hospital, at the close of 1915, while acting as matron, volunteered for service. Since then, save for one short furlough, she has been on duty in France. In a letter dated May 10 to a relative in Melbourne she says:-

“I am awfully pleased at having an opportunity to get so close up to the line, and to be in the danger zone. Our coming here had to be voluntary, and there are only four of us. Although we have plenty of hard work, I think we are all happy. I have seen guns, aeroplanes, tanks, and dugouts, and have visited several of the places the Huns thought their strong points, and from which they thought nothing would move them. Last night we had a Royal Flying Corps officer brought in. He had been fighting Boche planes, when one put a bullet through his engine. He fell 7,000 ft, and landed just near us. He was scratched and severely shaken, but no bones were broken. I told you before of a Boche plane coming over our camp, and firing down on us. We were all rather nervous then, but there was some excuse for our nervousness.”

Repat 1959 [ANA series no MT1487/1]:

“Sister Annie C Jackson, fully qualified, certificated Nurse applied for service with the AANS, AIF, early in 1915. Having no vacancy at that particular time, I drafted her into the quota of nurses for service with the RAMC. She left Aust on 18/12/15 on the HMS Karoola and returned to Australia on the TS Malta 28/9/1918 and reported to me. She served all that time abroad with the QAIMNSR in France. (Sgd) L. Hill, (late) Princ Matron, AANS & (late) Acting Matron-in-Chief, AANS”

Not 100% sure yet that this one is QAIMNSR:

KELLIHER, Agnes Eileen – Sister, QAIMNSR? / FRC

[MC – Agnes E, Sister, FRC / SR – Agnes]

Born 27/11/1883 Alexandria, NSW (reg. 1884 Waterloo under Kelleher) – daughter of Michael KELLIHER & Agnes COFFEE – both born Ireland

Siblings:

Maggie (Mrs S Middleton); Bessie (nurse) – d. 1929; Denis; William

The family moved to WA

WW1 Service:

Was in England when war broke out (training to be a masseuse)

Served Alexandria, Egypt (No 17 Hosp) & Paris, France (Lord & Lady Michelam’s BRC Hospital - ? the Astoria?) – received French Medal of Honour

RTA 1917

Married Edward Watson TOLMAN 10/8/1929 at St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney

[Edward – eldest son of John Gibbs & Elizabeth T. of Tasmania]

[Edward’s brother – Alfred Gibbs Tolman, Sgt 535, 3rd LH – 1st LH, KIA 4/8/1915 Romani]

Died 26/2/1964 at Private Hospital, Sydney (reg Ryde), NSW, age 80 – late of Naremburn

The Sydney Morning Herald, Thur 4 Oct 1917:

A DECORATED NURSE

Sister A.E. Kelliher, who has been a hospital nurse for the past two years in Egypt and France, returned recently to Sydney. At the meeting of the Red Cross general committee yesterday afternoon, Sister Kelliher, after speaking modestly of her services, showed a Medal of Honour, with ribbon attached, which had been presented to her by the French Minister for War. In the diploma which accompanied the decoration the Australian nurse is thanked “in the name of the President” for “unceasing care and great devotion.”

The recipient of the Medal of Honour explained that she was in England at the outbreak of war, and was going through a course of instruction as a masseuse. Volunteering as a nurse she went to Egypt in connection with the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service, and remained a year. While at Alexandria she nursed many Australian soldiers. Another year was spent in Paris at the British Red Cross Hospital, which was established by Lord and Lady Michelam. On leaving the hospital in Paris Sister Kelliher was awarded the Medal of Honour.

In the course of a tribute to the Australian branch of the Red Cross Society, the decorated sister said she could speak with personal knowledge of the good and much appreciated work which was being done both in Egypt and in France by Red Cross Voluntary Aid nurses.

Sunday Times (Perth), Sun 25 Nov 1917:

PERTH PRATTLE

An Australian nurse who has seen as much work as any other Australienne is Sister Agnes Kelliher. She is a native of Sydney, but her parents reside at Narrogin. When the war broke out she joined the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Reserve, and put in a year at No. 17 Hospital, Egypt. Invalided to England she went over to a French hospital with nurses, and subsequently she had charge of a flat containing 56 beds, 13 of which were reserved for officers. Before leaving the hospital the Australian nurse was presented with a diploma signed by the President of the French Republic, as a souvenir of her honorable and courageous conduct. Sister Kelliher was also presented with a silver medal. Returning to England Sister Kelliher applied for transport duty and came out attached to the A.I.F.

The West Australian, Sat 31 Aug 1918:

DEATHS

KELLIHER – On August 25, 1918, at Vailima Private Hospital, Narrogin, Michael, husband of Agnes Kelliher, father of Dan, Will, and Nurse B. Kelliher, Narrogin; Sister Agnes Kelliher, Sydney; Mrs S Middleton, Mosman, NSW; aged 75 years. RIP

[1916 ER: Bessie, Narrogin, nurse]

Western Mail (Perth), Thur 29 Oct 1925:

DEATHS

KELLIHER – On October 5, at Perth, suddenly, Agnes Kelliher, late of Narrogin, beloved mother of D, J, B, W, and A Kelliher.

The Mercury (Hobart, Tas), Tue 3 Sept 1929:

MARRIAGES

TOLMAN – KELLIHER – On August 10, 1929, at St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney, by the Rev Father Hurley, Edward Watson, eldest son of Mrs E.T. and the late J.G. Tolman, of Garden Crescent, Hobart, to Agnes Eileen, youngest daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Kelliher, of Narrogin, West Australia.

The West Australian, Fri 23 Aug 1929:

DEATHS

KELLIHER – On August 22, 1929, at Narrogin Hospital, Nurse Bessie, daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Michael Kelliher, of Narrogin and dearly loved sister of Maggie (Mrs Middleton, Sydney), Agnes (Mrs Tolman, Tasmania), Denis and William (Narrogin). Loved by all who knew her.

1937 ER: Agnes Tolman, Australia House, East Sydney – masseuse (1949 Crows Nest – H.D)

Edward Watson Tolman, Hotel Australia, Castlereagh St – clerk (1949 Crows Nest – gardener)

Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW), Tue 17 Aug 1948:

SACKED NURSE LOCKS HERSELF IN HOTEL ROOM

Sydney – A week ago, a woman who was employed as a nurse at the Australia Hotel, Castlereagh Street, locked herself in her room at the hotel, and since then has defied all attempts to get her out.

She is Mrs Agnes Tolman, who occupies a bed-sitting room and bathroom with her husband.

The management gave her notice to quit, and then cut off light, gas and water.

Mrs Tolman has said she will stay in the room “until doomsday” unless her husband and she can find somewhere else to live.

“I was told to leave last February after being employed for 27 years as day and night nurse,” she said. “They gave me no reason.

“I have been living in this room for 19 years, with my husband. I own a cottage of my own, but can’t get possession of it.

“I am paying rent her , but the management says it doesn’t want me.”

Examiner (Launceston, Tas), Tue 24 Aug 1948:

Stay-in Mrs Agnes Tolman, former hotel nurse at the Hotel Australia, Sydney, celebrated her 19th wedding anniversary last week-end behind the chained door of a suite from which the hotel management has been trying for weeks to evict her. Mrs Tolman has refused to go until she can get possession of a cottage she owns.

The Canberra Times, Sat 2 Oct 1948:

GUESTS ORDERED TO VACATE HOTEL ROOM

SYDNEY, Friday

An application by Australia Hotel Co Ltd for eviction of Mrs Agnes Eileen Tolman and her husband from a hotel room, was granted in the Supreme Court to-day.

Dr F Loust (for the Tolmans) stated he would appeal to the High Court against the judgement.

A stay of proceedings for 14 days was granted.

Mrs Tolman was given notice to vacate her room at the hotel last February, and when she refused to leave, an extension for five months was granted.

Legal action was then taken.

Mrs Tolman claimed protection of the Landlord and Tenants Act, stating she held a weekly tenancy on the room, but the company claimed the Tolmans were only ordinary guests.

Townsville Daily Bulletin (Qld), Mon 20 Dec 1948:

LUXURY LIVERS DOWN TO EARTH

SYDNEY. December 19. Mrs Agnes Tolman, who lived on the second floor of a luxury hotel for 23 years says she has now come down to earth. Twelve days ago she moved from the Australia Hotel to a garage in Crow’s Nest.

Mrs Tolman and her husband spent three and a half months barricaded in room 225 at the Australia Hotel. Mrs Tolman lived at the hotel and ran a beauty salon there for 28 years.

Last February, the Tolmans who paid the rent for their room were given notice to quit on August 14. After the Tolmans had refused to leave the room, the management cut off the light and water supplies. At the end of November, the State Full Court dismissed the Tolmans’ appeal against an eviction order made by Mr Justice Maxwell on October 1. The Tolmans moved out of the hotel on December 7. The garage in which they now live is built at the back of a half acre of a well laid out garden.

“Originally we meant to build a house here, but building costs are fantastic,” said Mrs Tolman.

E. King on your list is actually Eileen King (MM) - sister of Amy King (AANS)

I also believe her to be the I. King on your list - who I take it you took from the AWM group photo at No 7 Gen Hosp, St Omer (also on your website)

[Eileen travelled to England on the Orontes with most of those in the photo & was stationed at this hospital at that time]

My notes on Eileen (& her family) are very scrappy & run into pages - I'll try to make them more readable & post here - or I may just post the article I did on her, (after it's published!)

MacANDREW, Anne Ellis – Nurse, AVH / Sister, QAIMNSR

[Listed as Anne Ellie MacAndrew, QAIMNSR in Brit Med Card / Annie Ellis MacAndrew, QAIMNSR in London Gazette Supp]

WW1 Service:

Embarked at Melbourne on the Mongolia, arriving London 3/5/1915 [Anne E MacAndrew, nurse, age 34] – b.c1881

Joined AVH France 15/5/1915

Embarked Sydney on the Ormonde, arriving London 27/11/1920 [Anne Ellice MacAndrew, nursing sister, age 35] – b.c1885

Nursing sister resident 8 Onslow Ave, Darlinghurst, NSW 1930 &33 (Annie Ellis MacAndrew)

Nurse, Prince of Wales Hospital, Avoca St, Randwick 1936 & 7

Nurse, resident 63 Beach Rd, Edgcliff, NSW in 1943 & 1954 (1954 shows Anne Ellis McAndrew)

Died 16/8/1965 Concord Repatriation Hospital, Sydney, NSW, age 70 (reg. as Ann Ellis MacAndrew) – b.c1895

[Anne MacAndrew b.1870 Shoalhaven, NSW – daughter of George & Hannah T]

[Ann McAndrew b.1886 Burwood, NSW – daughter of John & Ann]

No more on this one yet:

MacKENZIE, Jean (or Joan) Agnes – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[No MC, SR for Jean – but this may be for Jean Anne]

RTA on the Megantic 9/1/1920

[ANA series no MT1487/1 – John Angus McKenzie]

This could also be Nurse J.A. MacKenzie who joined the AVH in France 21/12/1914

Last one for now:

MacKENZIE, Rebecca Clarissa Hot - Sister, QAIMNSR

[brit MC & SR]

Born 1875 Tyabb, Vic – daughter of John MacKENZIE & Rebecca Hare PASCO – who married in Vic in 1859 – Rebecca Hare died 21/2/1936, age 95 (a colonist of 80 years)

Siblings: Julia Margaret b.c1861 – marr Alcock – marr Hughes – d.1941, age 80; John Penfold Pasco b.c 1862 –d.1872, age 10; Ellen (Helen) Malvina b.1864 Sand – marr Smith – d.1956; Simon Barnet b.c1867 – d.1941, age 74; Frank Thomas b.1869 Tyabb; George Beveridge b.1871 Tyabb – d.1951; Pauline Ivy Marr b.c1882 – marr Denecker – d.1959, age 77; Irene May b.c1883 – marr Anson – d.1968, age 85

1903 ER: Rebecca – Melb Hosp, nurse

1909 – Private Hospital, Brighton

1914 ER: 15 Fitzgerald St, Sth Yarra – trained nurse (also Rebecca Hare McKenzie, hd / May McKenzie, carpet-sewer)

WW1 Service:

Embarked Melbourne on the Omrah – arriving London 21/6/1915

Served St George’s Military Hospital, Malta 1915/16

RTA from England per Ascanius – for Vic (date missing, but could be Aug 1920)

[ANA series no MT1487/1]

1931 ER: 564 Burke Rd, Auburn – nurse

1943, 1954 ERs: 74 Wilson St, Carlton – nil

Died 1961 Heidelberg, age 86

The Argus, Thur 11 Sept 1913:

PARTNERSHIP ACTION

A claim which turned on the question whether there was a partnership came before Judge Johnston in the County Court yesterday. The plaintiff, Rebecca Clarissa McKenzie, claimed from Victor Charles John Nightingall, executor of the will of his mother, Mrs Eveyln Nightingall, dececeased, for 105pounds 16/, made up of 42 pounds for work and labour done as a nurse, and money lent to Mrs Nightingall between December 1909, and April 25, 1910. Between these dates Mrs Nightingall had a nursing hospital at Brighton, and Miss Mackenzie was with her. The plaintiff admitted that there were negotiations for a partnership, and, as a consequence, she mad the advances to Mrs Nightingall, but the partnership was never entered into. The defence was that there was a partnership, and evidence was called that Mrs Nightingall had introduced plaintiff to the defendant as her partner, and that the plaintiff had recently admitted partnership. Judge Johnston said that if there was a partnership, the claim would disappear. He was driven to the conclusion that the plaintiff’s story was correct that a partnership was contemplated, but was never entered into, and that Mrs Nightingall had been allowed the use of the money on this understanding. He returned a verdict for the plaintiff for the full amount claimed, with costs.

Notes:

[Letter from mother (Mrs R MacKenzie) Dec 1916, enquiring if she’s returning on one of the hospital ships – having been nursing at Malta for 18 mths – address: 58 Wilson St, Princes Hill, Nth Carlton]

[in same file: Mrs RC McKenzie – travelled on Benalla to Capetown – emb Capetown 26/7/19 on Dunvegan Castle, at own expense]

:blink: Just updated the website with all the info that both Frev & Kristy have geiven me

A Hugh thank you to both Frev & Kristy for their input

Jenny

I noticed!

Just went into the A-M section to see if I had anymore names to add - and realised you had a new column including their birth places - so got side-tracked (as ya do!) - and here are those birth places I have so far for A-M:

BENALLACK, Mary Ann was born 1876 Colac, Vic

BERRIE, Charlotte Matilda – born 1885 Qld

BLAKE, Edith – born 1885 Sydney, NSW

BOLE, Elizabeth Amelia – born 7/12/1871 Kanyaka Nth, SA

BOTTLE, Ruth Gladys Isabell – born 4/1/1889 Williamstown, Vic

BRAY, Mary Adelaide – born 9/5/1880 Melbourne, Vic

BUTLER, Beatrice Travers – born 10/8/1884 Hobart, Tas

CASHIN, Alice Alanna – born 26/3/1870 Melbourne, Vic

CHAPMAN, Jemima (Minnie) Logie – born 1889 Westray, Orkney Islands, Scotland

CHEESMAN, Beatrice Graham – born 30/3/1874 Kingstown, St Vincent, West Indies

COFFEY,Benigna – born Anna Marie Celia Benigna 23/5/1887 Portland, Tas

CONWAY, Kathleen Lydia – born 29/4/1891 Fifth Creek, Montacute, SA

CORFIELD, Agnes Beryl – born 1891 Brisbane, Qld

COWLEY, Isoline Jeanette – born 6/7/1875 Wagga Wagga, NSW

CROMMELIN, Nellie Weston – born 17/11/1882 Bombala, NSW

CUMMING, Margaret – born 20/5/1871 Meredith, Vic

DEACON, Dora – born 5/6/1885 Linehouse, London, England

DESPARD, Charlotte Letitia – born 1872 Mortlake, Vic

DICKSON, May – born 29/6/1880 Qld

DODS, Wilhelmina Sarah – born c1879 Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland

DONALDSON, Edith Victoria – born 1882 Avenel, Vic

DONNELLAN, Margaret (Madge) – born 1875 Axedale, Vic

DOUGLAS, Madena Davis – born 1881 Waverley, NSW

EDGELL, Theodora Grace – born 1870 St Leonards, NSW

FINCHAM, Isabel Edith – born 1886 Carlton, Vic

FLOREY, Annie Julia – born 1/10/1880 Hackney, London, England (sister of Sir Howard Florey)

FURNIFULL, Sarah Margaret – born 1887 Albany, WA

GABRIEL, Ada Baker – born 1877 Collingwood, Vic

GEARY, Blanche Beatrice – born 16/11/1885 Qld

GEEVES, Edith Bernice – born 9/11/1886 Franklin, Tas

GILLILAND, Winifred Anna Cameron – born 1882 Ballarat, Vic

GREAVES, Ida Mary – born 1875 Newcastle, NSW (sister of Susan)

GREAVES, Susan Ethel – born 1877 Newcastle, NSW (sister of Ida)

GREEN, Doris Marion – born 1889 Colac, Vic

GREENE, Mary Wentworth – born 1886 Kyneton, Vic

HARGREAVE, Ethel Mary (Effie) – born 1883 Kyneton, Vic

HARTRICK, Adelaide Louisa – born 1883 Walhalla, Vic

HERIOT, Katie Rae – born 1883 Williamstown, Vic

HOBBES, Florence Narelle Jessie – Born 21/8/1878 Tilba Tilba, NSW

HODGE, Katie Payne – born Ada Florence Kate HODGE 27/11/1874 Edgecombe, SA (daughter of George Payne HODGE)

HOOK, Daisy May – born 1887 Melbourne, Vic

HOOKE, Louisa Augusta – born 10/12/1872 Singleton, NSW

HOWMAN, Mary Florence – born 1887 Harrietville, Vic

JENKINS, Mary Vaughan – born 9/6/1878 Qld

JOBSON, Isabella Kate – born 1878 Clunes, Vic

JUDD, Helen Muriel – born 1882 Cornwall, England

KEOGH, Estelle Venner – born 7/7/1892 Malvern, Vic

KING, Eileen – born 8/11/1888 Qld

KIRKCALDIE, Rosa Angela – born 3/6/1887 Homebush, Sydney, NSW

LOUGHRON, Mary McLean – born 1886 Winchelsea, Vic

LOWICK, Essie Irene Warne – born 24/7/1888 St Leonards, NSW [MC: Ellie Trine Wayne LOWICK] – (sister of Clara Marina, AANS & Rita Mary, VAD Red Cross & Lily Hebe, NZ Hosp & John Warne, AIF)

MacKENZIE, Myra – born 1881 Sydney, NSW

MARRON, Sara Marie – born 1874 Geelong, Vic

McCARTHY, Emma Maud (Dame) – born 22/9/1859, Paddington, Sydney, NSW

McManus, Lilian Veronica – born c1891 Walkerville, Adelaide, SA

McNAB, Minnie Maud – born 1879 Moorabool, Vic

MILBURN, Mary Wilhelmina – born 1872 Casterton, Vic

Cheers, Frev

Thanks Frev

have now brought the pages up todate with that

it got so big I had to move the m's

so its now A to L ( 127 nurses) M to Z ( 93 Nurses)

Jenny

Just updated the website as I doubled checked the National archives site and found another 25 nurses

so now have 245 nurses
:wacko:

had to now put it over 3 pages

A to G 88 nurses

H to O 75 nurses

N to Z 82 nurses

Jenny

Jenny - you may soon be wondering what you've started - and where it's all going to end! :lol:

Some more for you (including a few I'd missed):

Oh, and I noticed that you've now got Daisy May Hook listed twice – either side of Hodge (some different details in each entry)

BETTS, Anne Elizabeth – Sister, QAIMNSR, AARC

[No MC, SR for Annie]

Born c1887

[1913 Electoral Roll: Annie Elizabeth Betts, Children’s Hospital, Brisbane – hospital sister]

Embarked at Sydney 18/2/1914 on the Ceramic for England – arriving Tilbury Docks, London 13/4/1914

WW1 Service:

In England when war broke out, she joined the QAIMNSR – on Staff from 3/6/15 – 26/9/19

Served Military Hospital, Gibraltar & Military Hosp, Colchester

Returned to England from Gibraltar on the RMS Arzila, arriving 12/7/1919

RTA on the Ulysses 27/12/1919 – arriving Sydney 20/2/1920

[ANA series no MT1487/1]

The British Journal of Nursing, June 2, 1919:

The King has been pleased to award the Royal Red Cross to the following ladies in recognition of their valuable service in connection with the war:-

Royal Red Cross, Second Class

GIBRALTAR

Miss A.E. Betts, Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R., Military Hospital, Gibraltar.

Anne Elizabeth Betts, age 32, embarked at Gibraltar, O.H.M.S, on the RMS Arzila, and arrived London 12/7/1919 – (b.c1887)

[ANA MT1487/1 file – Letter from Irish soldier 8/8/1934, Newbliss, County Monaghan]

To the Chief of Police, Sydney, NSW

Sir,

Would I be asking too much of you in seeking the whereabouts of Miss A.E. Betts (as per address on enclosed letter) and if possible to hand her this letter. I was one of the first who got knocked out at Mons and she was the nurse who nursed me back to health. I desire to again get in touch with her. The enclosed letter is to be handed to her. Thank you.

Yours very truly, (Sgd) Thomas Farrell

She belonged to Sydney, that is all I know of her home address.

The Mercury (Hobart), Mon 12 Jan1920:

PERSONAL

Friends of Nursing Sister A.E. Betts have received a cable, intimating she is returning to Australia by the Ulysses, which left England about December 27.

BROWNFIELD, Constance – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[No MC; SR for Constance]

Born c1887 – daughter of Edward BROWNFIELD & Victoria LANDLES – who married in Vic in 1883

Sibling: George Samuel b.1883 Ballarat, Vic – WW1: Cpl 4451, 11th Bn – d.2/7/1930 Wooroloo, WA

Passed her examination for membership to the ATNA June 1915, WA

1916 ER: Public Hospital, Perth – nurse

1917: Miss Constance Brownfield, 30 yr old Nursing Sister from Australia, embarked at Natal, Sth Africa on the Walmer Castle – and arrived London 28/3/1917

RTA 9/1/1920 on the Megantic for Fremantle, WA [ANA series no MT1487/1]

DOYLE, Helen Grace (Nellie) – Sister, QAIMNSR / Gen Hosp

[brit MC & SR]

Born 1887 Horsham, Vic – daughter of Henry DOYLE (Builder) & Elizabeth Ann Lyle FRASER

Both parents died in 1932 at Collie

Siblings: Arthur Wright 1885 – 1886; Ethel Lyle b.1890 – marr David R Bedlington 1918 WA; Sydney Campbell 1892-1975; Henry Wright b.1895 – KIA 26/9/1917 Belgium, Pte 3450, 16th Bn; Alice Elizabeth 1901 – 1967 – marr Fred R Broad 1924 WA; John Bernard 1906 – 1966

The family moved to WA between 1890 & 1892

1910 ER: Spinster – Coombe St, Collie, WA (with parents Elizabeth & Henry)

WW1 Service:

Sailed for England in 1915 and joined the QAIMNSR 23/8/1915

Served in France from 7/10/1915 – 28/2/1919

RTA on the Osterley 21/5/1919

[Her photo & medals are held at the Army Museum, Fremantle, WA]

1931 Electoral Roll: Matron – Hospital, Margaret River, WA

1937 ER: Nurse – 46 Harborne St, Wembley Park, WA

Jan & Nov 1932 Matron of the Government Hospital, Margaret River

April 1937 Matron of Kiama Private Hospital, Wembley

Jan 1940 Matron of Sandstone Hospital

1943 ER: Matron – District Hospital, Wiluna, WA

1949 ER: Wellington St, Perth – nurse

Aug 1950 Matron of Holden Migrant Camp hospital, Northam, WA

1954 ER: Matron – Government Maternity Hospital, Geraldton, WA

Applied for Repat in 1959

1972 ER: Subiaco, WA

Died 22/1/1975 (Subiaco) Perth, WA, age 88

Cremated Karrakatta and her ashes dispersed

The West Australian, Fri 3 Apr 1936:

SOLDIERS’ RELATIVES

Gathering at Anzac House

A HAPPY gathering of soldiers’ relatives took place in the supper room of Anzac House yesterday afternoon where the monthly meeting of the Friendly Union of Soldiers’ Wives, Mothers and Sisters was held. The president (Mrs H. Dean) was in the chair and welcomed a number of special guests including the Mayoress of Subiaco (Mrs H.L. Downe), who is the president of the Subiaco branch of the women’s auxiliary of the Returned Soldiers’ League, Dr Roberta Jull, Matron H.G. Doyle, who is a returned army nurse, …………………….

The West Australian, Fri 12 Jan 1940:

Woman’s Realm

Sister H.G. Doyle, matron of the Sandstone Hospital, who is at present on a month’s holiday visit to Perth, was guest of honour at a party arranged by Mrs A Noseda at her home in Dalkeith last night. During the evening good wishes were extended to Sister Doyle for a happy holiday, and references made to her army service during the last war. Among those present were …………..

The West Australian, Wed 30 Aug 1950:

MATERNITY CASES

New Migrant Camp Hospital

NORTHAM, Aug 29: The problem of providing adequate accommodation for maternity cases at the Northam immigration centre is being solved by the establishment of a maternity hospital at the other camp, Holden, which was formerly a military hospital. ……………………………….

The matron of the new hospital at Holden (Matron H.G. Doyle) arrived yesterday. While awaiting the completion of the structural alterations to the hospital she will be engaged on organising work.

HUNTER, E – Sister, QAIMNSR

[MC & SR for Elizabeth]

RTA 20/12/1919 on the Indarra [ANA series no MT1487/1]

McLAREN, Lily – Staff Nurse, BRCS & OSJJ / QAIMNSR

[brit MC & SR]

WW Service:

Embarked at Adelaide in 1915 on the Beltana – arriving London 22/7/1915

Served France, Belgium, Switzerland & Italy

RTA from London 9/1/1920 on the Megantic – returning to Fremantle, WA

[ANA series no MT1487/1]

McDonald, E – Euphemia, not Emily

McDONALD, Euphemia – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[brit MC – no SR]

WW1 Service:

Embarked 18/12/1915 on the Karoola

Served with the QAIMNSR in France & England (Sheffield War Hospital)

RTA on transport duty early 1918 (24/3/1918)

1919 – Anzac Hostel, Repatriation Hospital, Brighton, Vic

1920 – travelled to England

[Letter from ANA file MT1487/1]

“Portree”

309 Orrong Rd

East St Kilda, Melb, Vic

23rd Jan 1943

Dear Sir

I am a nurse who served in the 1914 to 1918 war; my discharge certificate has not yet been sent to me although my two war service medals were sent to me from London in 1921; to my mother’s home at “Glenhope”, Sea Lake, Victoria.

Could you please send me the certificate at your earliest convenience.

My war service started from November 1915; with other Australian nurses I was selected by the then Principle Matron in Victoria for service with the Imperial Nursing S., proceeding to England in 1915, we were allotted to the QAIMNS Reserve, & I served in France & England until Jan 1918 when I applied for transfer to the AANS & returned on duty to Australia early in that year 1918 & I remained in the AAN Service & went to the Repatriation Hospital “Anzac Hostel” North Rd, Brighton, Victoria in 1919, remaining there until Jan 1920 when I resigned to go to England.

My records will be there in your office but this brief outline of my service will perhaps help.

Could you kindly tell me if I am entitled to an Anzac Medal (the Star) as I do not know, as I have not previously enquired, although I did apply at the Victoria Barracks – some years ago for the Discharge Certificate, but not in writing.

Yours faithfully, Euphemia McDonald (Miss) enlisted from Sea Lake, Vic

[Letter from Base Records states she embarked on Karoola 18/12/1915]

[no AANS file]

MUNDEN, Constance Elizabeth & O’SHEA, Constance Elizabeth in your list are the same person:

O’SHEA, Constance Elizabeth – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

Born c1886 or 1889 – daughter of Frederick Patrick O’SHEA (Photographer, d.1943)

[Frederick Patrick O’SHEA (Photographer, d.1943) & Ella Ann McDONALD

Siblings: Basil Frederick b.13/1899 Goodwood, SA (accountant)]

Trained at the Homeopathic Hospital, Melbourne

1914 ER: as above

WW1 Service:

Embarked 14/4/1915 at Melbourne on the Orontes (age 29)

Served France

Married Robert John Munden (age 25, Engineer, Sub-Lieut, RNR) on Mar 29/3/1919 at St Augustine’s Church, South Hackney, London [son of Samuel Sprake MUNDEN, (dec. storekeeper)]

(Constance age 30)

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/P01625.002

RTA 21/5/1919 on the Osterley

Electoral Rolls:

Residing at 11 Gordon St, Eastwood, NSW in 1930, 1933

24 Chesterfield Rd, Epping, NSW 1936

26 Essex St, Epping 1943, 1949 (RJ now listed as Works Manager) – (also listed 1949 Isla Kathleen, commercial artist)

Robert John Munden died 1952 Chatswood, NSW – son of Samuel Sprake & Annie

[a Heather Pearl Munden – daughter of Samuel & Annie d.1968 St Leonards]

1954 ER: Constance listed on her own at 17 Parkes St, Thornleigh, NSW

Died 15/8/1972 at the Repatriation General Hospital, Concord, age 84 – late of Thornleigh (reg. St Leonards)

The Argus, Thur 15 Apr 1915:

VOLUNTEERS LEAVE

CONTINGENT BY ORONTES

SOLDIERS AND NURSES

…………………………………………………………………………

RMS Orontes April 14

………………Sister Lempriere, Nurses Fincham, Donaldson, Ross, Marron, King, Herriott, Wardle, Cumming, Inglis, Donnellan, Loughran, Hargreave, McRae, L.E. Doyle, Tobin, O’Shea, Hamilton, Ward, Middleton, Craike, Dodds, Wilson, Cheeseman, Chapman, Nye, Mann, Clarke, Powell, ………

The Argus, Mon 28 Jun 1915:

NURSES FOR THE FRONT

The following trainees of the Homoeopathic Hospital, St Kilda road, have gone to the front:- Sister Constance O’Shea [QAIMNSR], Nurses Lilian B. Kiddle [bRC], Adelaide Hartick [QAIMNSR], Hilda Knox [AANS], Amy King [AANS], Maud Brown [AANS], Kate Heriot [QAIMNSR], Estelle Doyle [QAIMNSR], Eileen King [QAIMNSR], and Muriel King [?].

[staff Nurse Constance Elizabeth O’Shea – QAIMNSR – Mrs C.E. Munden

1920: “An application has been received from Mrs C.E. Munden (nee Sister C.E. O’Shea) for grant in respect of services in the Imperial Army, in regard to which Mrs Munden states that she wrote to the Defence Department Melbourne in 1915 offering services. Later Miss Hill, Principal Matron, sent for her and asked if she was willing to join the Imperial Forces and led her to believe that no more nurses would be sent in the Australian Force.”]

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/P01625.004

:rolleyes: Ok that lot is done now

it all good Frev - I knew what I was gtting myself into :wacko:

I think the website pages are shapping up nicely

the list is currently sitting at 249 nurses

Jenny

Some more Birth places of nurses:

PENNY, Violet Mary – born 4/10/1881 Hackney, Sth Australia

RAFF, Dorothy – born 1889 Qld

REAY, Anne Victoria (Nan) – born 1884 Coleraine, Vic

ROBERTS, Mildred Ellen – born 1888 Young, NSW

ROSENTHAL, Leah – born 1879 Melbourne

SAW, Nellie Mabel – born 4/3/1890 Albany, WA

SCOTT, Veir – born Nellie Veir, 1890 Milparinka, NSW

SEXTON, Dora Ethel – born 7/11/1885 Qld

SOLLING, Wilhelmina Jane (aka Minnie) – born 1878 Orange, NSW

STACY, Eleanor Bessie – born 24/12/1879 Payneham, SA [also AANS]

STOW, Rosalind Randolph Eppes – born 18/5/1877 Adelaide, SA

SUTHERLAND, Amy Gladys – born 1887 Malvern, Vic

SUTTOR, Lillian Charlotte – born 1874 Bathurst, NSW

SWEENEY, Rose Anne – born 1885 Glenn Innes, NSW

TABOR, Louisa Alice – born 15/12/1874 Kobe, Japan

THROSSELL, Isabella Roberta (Mrs, nee Cottrell – sister-in-law of Hugo Throssell, VC) – born 7/1/1870 Adelaide, SA

TIMMS, Mary Charlotte – born 1875 Kiama, NSW

TREBILCOCK, Edith Amy – born 1875 Luton, England

TRENAMAN, Elsie Maud – born 28/1/1880 Willowie, SA

WARDLE, Priscilla Isabel – born 9/12/1884 Ballarat, Vic

WEISS, Ethel May – born 3/9/1877 Pleasant Creek, Vic

WILKINSON, Annie – born 22/1/1885 McLaren Vale, SA (listed after WILLDER)

WILSON, Myrtle Elizabeth – born 1877 Fitzroy, Vic

WYLIE, Agnes A – born 28/11/1870 Mount Pleasant, SA

A little correction on the introductory page of the website: your alphabetical split shows A to G, H to O, N to Z (instead of P to Z) 

NYE, Hilda Esther (Gertrude’s sister) – I doubt she was in the QAIMNS – she appears to have served at home, in the Military Hosp in Stanthorpe, Qld (1918 as per photo on the Diggers Project)

ORR, Elizabeth – This one’s a little confusing as according to the ADB on-line – Elizabeth never served in France: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/orr-elizabeth-lizzie-13141

She isn’t in Neil Smith’s list of those who served at the AVH either & the Australian Volunteer Hospital was actually at Wimereux, not Boulogne (which was 5 miles away) – so, the “Australian Hospital at Boulogne” could mean the 2nd AGH anyway, (which was stationed there).

OUSLEY, Marguerite – her records can be found under her married name:

OUSLEY, Marguerite – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[MC & SR for Marguerite MENNIE]

1909 Electoral Roll: St Vincent’s Hospital, Fitzroy, Vic – nurse

Embarked 18/12/1915 on the Karoola

Served Warrington War Hospital

Married Robert Essiemont MENNIE in Sep Qtr 1917 Marylebone, Middlesex

The Argus, Sat 5 Apr 1919:

BIRTHS

MENNIE (nee Marguerite Ousley) – On the 31st January, at Aberdeen, Scotland, the wife of R. Essiemont Mennie – a son.

Notes:

[A Marguerite OUSLEY b.c1882 France (British Subject), was living in East Langdon, Kent in 1891 with her grandparents Henry & Eliza Butt]

Additions:

Still working on this one – but I’m thinking Annie is the most likely suspect:

PALMER, A – Sister, QAIMNSR

[MC – Adelaide Helen / SRs – Adelaide; Alice & Annie]

RTA on the Megantic 9/1/1920 for Cranbrook (WA)

[ANA series no MT1487/1]

Notes:

Annie Palmer b.c1887 Devon, England – daughter of John Banbury PALMER & Ann LUSCOMBE

Ann died 1928 at her son’s residence in Kojonup, wife of John of Lenham, Cranbrook. John died 1932 Cranbrook, WA

Brother: Luscombe Robert Palmer – WW1 (see married O/S database)

1925 ER: Lenham, Cranbrook, WA (with her family) – hospital nurse

1931 ER: Lenham, Cranbrook – hospital sister

1936 ER: Yalup House, Wagerup, WA – nurse

1943 ER: 16 Molloy St, Bunbury, WA – nurse

1943 ER: “Renton”, Gosnells, WA – nurse

1949 & 1954 ER: 2 Chancellor St, Claremont, WA – nurse

Annie died 29/5/1965, age 79, and was cremated at the Karrakatta Cemetery, WA (Crematorium Rose Garden 9K)

The British Journal of Nursing, Nov 1, 1919

The Royal Red Cross (Second Class)

Miss Annie Palmer, Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve

The West Australian, Thu 8 Dec 1932:

LATE MR J.B. PALMER

A Well-known Sheep Breeder

Mr J.B. Palmer, of Lenham, Cranbrook, a well-known breeder of Romney Marsh sheep, died suddenly on Sunday at the age of77. Mr Palmer came from Kent where he was a breeder of Romney Marsh sheep. ……………………….. He was a resident of the Cranbrook district for approximately 20 years, …………………………

Mr Palmer is survived by three daughters, Mrs Climie, of Cranbrook, Mrs Cameron Smith, of Kulikup, and Miss Palmer, of Cranbrook, and by three sons Messrs W.J. Palmer, of Kojonup, L.R. Palmer Kojonup, and Mr J.B. Palmer of Franklin River. A fourth son, Mr F.H. Palmer, died in October as the result of an accident.

PEEBLES, Gladys Annie – Sister, QAIMNSR

[sR - Peebles; No MC under maiden or married name]

Born 14/1/1891 Farnham, Surrey, England – daughter of James PEEBLES & Annie PAULIG

James, a Livery yard Manager in England, brought his family to Australia on the Ortona, arriving in Brisbane 7/8/1907 – they eventually settled in the Frankston / Seaford area of Victoria. In mid 1919, James turned his (Model) Dairy business over to his son & another returned soldier, Strong.

James died 26/11/1939, age 75 & Annie died 9/5/1942, age 79 – they are buried at the Frankston Cemetery

Siblings:

Vivian Violet b.c1894 – marr George ROADLEY 30/6/1919 Vic – d.1984, age 90

Roland Ernest b.c1897 – WW1: Dvr 27817, 3rd FAB – marr Ethel May (Elsie) JOHNSON 4/10/1919 Frankston – d.1955, age 58

WW1 Service:

Embarked Melbourne on the SS Beltana – arriving London 22/7/1915

Joined the QAIMNSR

Married Reginald Stuart FERGUSON (Brit Army / Painter) 20/1/1919 at Whittington Church, Whitchurch, England

Children:

Roland Buchan b.4/6/1919 Manchester, England – WW1: RAN & Army – d.1971 Stra

Vivian Pearl b.1921

Jack b.c1923 – d.1984 (buried next to his parents)

Francis (Frank) b.24/2/1926 – d.27/3/2002 (buried with his grandparents James & Annie)

Ian b.c1931 – d.1974 Ment, age 43

Resident Dell Rd, Frankston in 1931 / 10 Petrie St, Frankston 1936, 1942, 1949, 1954 (also in 1942 Roland Buchanan Ferguson, RAN) (also in 1949 Dorothy Grace, hairdresser & Frank, milkcarter)

Reginald died 26/12/1953

Died 24/6/1974 Frankston & is buried with Reginald, and near her parents at the Frankston Cemetery

Mornington Standard (Frankston), Sat 29 Mar 1919:

MARRIAGE

FERGUSSON – PEEBLES – On the 20th January, at Whittington Church, Whitchurch, England, Reginald Fergusson (British Imperial Forces), to Nurse Gladys Annie (sister in Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Staff), eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs James Peebles, of Frankston.

ROBERTSON, Minnie M A (listed out of order, after Robinson) – Minnie wasn’t a member of Dr Bird’s Unit – that was Muriel:

ROBERTSON, Minnie Mabel Alex – Staff Nurse, AVH / QAIMNSR

[Medal Card: Minnie M.A. – AVH & QAIMNSR]

[There is a WO399 file at the Kew NA for Minnie]

Born 23/2/1871 Richmond, Tasmania – daughter of Alexander ROBERTSON & Charlotte Lavinia IBBOTT - Charlotte d.1879, age 29, leaving 5 young children – Alexander remarried

He died in 1929 [Long Obituary & photo in The Mercury 15/1/1929]

Siblings (4):

Half Siblings: Roy Augustus b.c1893 – WW1 Dvr 8262 6th FAB

Trained at the General Hospital, Hobart – completing her training in 1899

Boer War: Sailed March 1900 – served at Tin Camp Military Hospital, three miles out of Ladysmith – later moved to Howick

Stayed on after the war

Miss Minnie Robertson, no occup, British Colonial, arrived at Southampton 4/7/1908 on the Kenilworth Castle from Cape Town

WW1: In England when war broke out, Minnie joined the Australian Voluntary Hospital in France in June 1915

She then went on to join the QAIMNSR

1954 ER: Robertson, Minnie Mabel A., Latrobe, Tas – homeduties

Died in 1956 at Hobart, age 85

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Sat Sat 7 Oct 1899:

TASMANIAN VOLUNTEERS

Hobart, October 6

The Government have decided to invite applications from person willing to serve in the Transvaal. Already over 400 have offered their services, including Miss Robertson, a nurse at Hobart Hospital.

The Mercury (Hobart), Thur 4 Oct 1900:

RETURN OF NURSE MANSFIELD

A VICTIM OF ENTERIC

Nurse Mansfield, who was one of the first batches of Tasmanian nurses to go to the front, returned from South Africa …………..

……………………………………………………………………

“Well, you must not expect a romantic narrative from me. We nurses all went out, I think, moved solely by a sense of duty and a great desire to help alleviate the sufferings of our soldiers; and we went prepared to work hard, and as unselfishly as we could: that is what our profession teaches us. I left with Nurse White and Nurse Robertson in March, and when we reached Durban we got orders from the P.M.O. appointing us to the hospital at Ladysmith; or, to be precise, to the Tin Camp Military Hospital, three miles out of Ladysmith. The hospital was full; there must have been 2,000 patients there; but the majority of nurses were from London and Netley. We had a lot of Sir Redvers Buller’s men in our wards; and there were a few Boers – but my duties were not concerned with them.”

……………………………………………….

“Speaking of Ladysmith. Were the conditions really very unhealthy?”

“Very. That was admitted; indeed, the hospital has now been moved to Howick, miles away, where it has been re-established on a very suitable and healthy site. When I left, Nurse White and Nurse Robertson, were working hard at Howick, in excellent health.” ………………..

The Mercury (Hobart), Tue 15 Jan 1929:

OBITUARY

Mr Alexander Robertson

A Tasmanian Pioneer

……………………………………………………..

Mr Robertson was twice married, his second wife surviving him. He had five sons – Thomas, of Sunnyside, Colebrook, and a member of the Richmond Municipal Council; Allan, of Colebrook Park; Roy, who served in the Field Artillery during the Great War; James; Bruce, who predeceased his father; and six daughters. Of the daughters, Minnie served as a nurse during the South African and Great Wars.

[Long Obituary with photo]]

The Mercury (Hobart), Tue 16 Feb 1954:

HONOURED GUEST

[photo]

In place of honour at the Diggers’ reunion in Hobart on Saturday night will be Miss Minnie M. Robertson, who served as a nurse in the Boer War. Miss Robertson, who is aged about 76, completed her training with the General Hospital, Hobart in 1899, and in that year sailed for South Africa. She stayed on there after the war and afterwards lived and worked in South America and England. In the First World War, Miss Robertson served for more than four years. She now lives in Hobart, staying at the Nurses’ Club in Macquarie St.

ROBERTSON, Muriel Alice – Matron, Dr Bird’s Unit / Sister, QAIMNSR (MID 1916)

[brit MC; No SR]

Born 1880 Narrandera, NSW – daughter of Angus ROBERTSON (b. Scotland – d.pre 1915) & Alice Maud Mary GOODHIND – who married in Vic in 1876 (Angus had been living NSW)

Siblings: Duncan Markham b.1877 Melb – WW1: Pte 654, 10th Bn, DOW 31/5/1915 Egypt; Aeneas McIntosh b.1878 Narrandera, NSW – d.1951 Vic, age 72; Nina Rose b.1882 St Kilda – d.1957 Melb; Clarice Adelaide b.1884 Vic; Viola M b.1888 Narrandera, NSW

Pre war she worked in Dr Bird’s Private Hospital

WW1 Service:

Embarked 22/10/1914 on the Orvieto with Dr Bird’s Unit

Served Mena House, Egypt; on the HS Sicilia during the Gallipoli campaign; Salonika 1916; India

RTA Dec 1918 on the Janus from Calcutta for 1 month’s leave (ANA series no MT1487/1 – TA Robertson – sic]

Permitted to resign from 21/1/1919 and remain in Australia

1919 ER: 112 Westbury St, Balaclava, Vic – nurse

1931 ER: 124 Vale St, Melbourne East – nurse

1943, 1949 ER: 645 Malvern Rd, Toorak – trained nurse

Died 2/7/1951 at her residence ‘Yandra’, Malvern Rd, Toorak, age 70

Notes:

[Embarkation Roll]

Sailed with the first AIF contingent on the Orvieto, embarking Melbourne 22/10/1914

Medical (with 1st Div HQ)

Dr Fred Bird, Nurses D.M. Green, M.M. McNab, M.A. Robertson and A.L. Hartrick; and attendant Mr W. ? (Badacott)

[Doris Marion Green; Minnie Maud McNab; Muriel Alice Robertson; Adelaide Louisa Hartrick]

Dr Fred Bird (RAMC) RTA in 1916 & was lecturing at Melb Uni in May – the four nurses who he had taken with him from his private hospital (at his own expense) were still serving as army nurses (QAIMNSR) – [The Argus, 5/5/1916]

[The Argus, 1/8/1917]

“Of the four nurses I took with me three years ago, three are in the Persian Gulf, and one is in India.”

The British Journal of Nursing, Jul 1, 1916:

MENTIONED IN DESPATCHES

General Sir John Maxwell, K.C.B., Commanding the Force in Egypt, included in his Despatches on the military operations in the Egyptian Command, for the information of the Secretary of State for War, published as a Supplement to the London Gazette of June 21st, a separate Despatch, containing the names of those he wishes to bring to favourable consideration on account of the services they have rendered.

ON HOSPTIAL SHIPS

STAFF NURSES – QAIMNSR: ……Miss D.M. Green, Miss A.L. Hartrick,……Miss M.M. McNab, ………..Miss M.A. Robertson.

The Argus, Wed 4 Jul 1951:

DEATHS

ROBERTSON, On July 2, at her residence, Yandra, Malvern road, Toorak, Muriel Alice, loved eldest daughter of the late Angus and Alice Robertson. (Privately cremated)

Thanks Frev

I have just updated the webpages with that info

tally is now 253 :whistle:

Jenny

NYE, Hilda Esther (Gertrude's sister) – I doubt she was in the QAIMNS – she appears to have served at home, in the Military Hosp in Stanthorpe, Qld (1918 as per photo on the Diggers Project)

Hi Frev and Jenny

The Diggers project has been in contact with the Nye family this week and they have confirmed Hilda was only on home service.

cheers

Kirsty

Thanks Kristy for that update

Jenny

NYE, Hilda Esther (Gertrude's sister) – I doubt she was in the QAIMNS – she appears to have served at home, in the Military Hosp in Stanthorpe, Qld (1918 as per photo on the Diggers Project)

Hi Frev and Jenny

The Diggers project has been in contact with the Nye family this week and they have confirmed Hilda was only on home service.

cheers

Kirsty

Jenny - I'm hoping it's not something you need to panic about - but the entire list of nurses for H - O seems to have disappeared & been replaced with P - Z !!!!!! :o

Hope you've still got them hidden in there somewhere!

SCANLAN, Mary (May) - her records can be found under her married name:

SCANLAN, Mary Margaret (aka May) – Sister, QAIMNSR, ARRC

[MC: M Scanlan – Staff Nurse, Gen Hosp; Sister, Citadel Mil Hosp / MC: M. Helm, Sister QAIMNSR / SR: Mary Helm]

Born 29/5/1889 Melb East (reg. under Mary Margaret Scanlon) – daughter of Michael McGuinness SCANLAN (b. Co. Clare) & Annie (Mary Ann) HOGAN – married 1883 Vic

Siblings: Michael Patrick b.1884 Melb; John Joseph b.1885 Melb – d.1934; James Hogan b.1887 Melb; Margaret b.1893 Melb (Ethel / Sister Mary Benedict)

Trained at Perth Public Hospital / on staff at Fremantle Hospital prior to enlisting

Embarked 15/5/1915 on the Mooltan

Served Egypt

Married Frederick HELM in the Dec Qtr of 1919 at Chorlton, England

Children: John Michael b. Jun Qtr1921 Glossop, England

Mrs Mary J. HELM, age 35, of Boulacie Lane, Gee Cross Hyde, Cheshire, returned to England with her 6 yr old son Michael on the Mongolia – arriving London 14 Aug 1927 – they had embarked at Fremantle [b.c1892]

Died in the Mar Qtr of 1974 in Surrey SW, England

The West Australian, Fri 21 Feb 1919:

PERSONAL

Mr Scanlan of Bernard-street, Claremont, has received a cable message advising that Sister Scanlan has been awarded the Royal Red Cross. At present Sister Scanlan is attached to the Queen Alexandria Nursing Reserve in Egypt. She was on the staff of the Fremantle Hospital prior to enlisting in 1915, but received her training in the Perth Public Hospital.

Western Argus (Kalgoorlie), Tue 4 Mar 1919

A LADY’S LETTER

I am told that Sister Mary Scanlan is the recipient of the Royal Red Cross and the Distinguished Conduct Medal, and that she has been mentioned twice in despatches. Nurse Scanlan was one of the first nurses who left Australia for the front, and is now stationed in Egypt.

Western Mail (Perth), Thur 21 Apr 1927:

ABOUT PEOPLE

Mrs Helen [sic - Helm], of Cheshire, England, with her young son, is on a visit to Australia, and is at present staying with her brother at Preston Point road, East Fremantle. Mrs Helen, who before her marriage was Sister Scanlan, trained at the Perth Public Hospital, and joined the Queen Alexandra Imperial Nursing Staff at the outbreak of war.

The West Australian, Wed 21 Nov 1923:

DEATHS

SCANLAN – On November 20, at St John’s Hospital, Subiaco, Annie, beloved wife of Michael, of Yalgoo, and mother of Michael (Fremantle), John (Perth), James (Menzies), S. Benedict (New Norcia), and Mrs F Helm, Derbyshire (England).

The West Australian, Mon 31 Dec 1934:

DEATHS

SCANLAN – On December 29, 1934, at Perth, John Joseph, widower of the late Catherine Mary Scanlan, loved son of Michael and the late Annie Scanlan, fond brother of Sister Mary Benedict, of St Gertrude’s College, New Norcia, Michael (Fremantle), James (Guildford), and May (Mrs F. Helm, England); aged 49 years.

The West Australian, Mon 10 May 1943:

SCANLAN – On May 8, 1943, at Subiaco, Michael McGuinness, late of Station House, Guildford, dearly loved father of Michael, James, May (Mrs Helm) and Ethel (Sister Benedict, of St Joseph’s of the Sacred Heart, Kalgoorlie). To be privately interred in the Roman Catholic Cemetery, Karrakatta, at the conclusion of Requiem Mass at 9 o’clock at St Joseph’s Church, Subiaco, THIS (Monday) morning.

SCANLAN – On May 8, 1943, at Subiaco, Michael McGuiness, dearly beloved father of Mr and Mrs J Scanlan and Mr and Mrs M Scanlan, of Guildford, fond grandfather of Michael (AIF), Frank and Irene, Will (RAAF) and Kath, Ben (AIF), Mary (Mrs Shepard) and Joe Shepard (RAAF) and great-grandfather of Peter Francif. Requiescat in pace.

SKINNER, Mary Louisa (Mollie) – Sister, QAIMNSR / QAIMNSI

[No SR; Brit MC: Mark Louisa – Sister, QAIMNSR / M.L – Temp Nurse, QAIMNSI]

See ADB on-line: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/skinner-mary-louisa-mollie-8447

SMYTH, Mary Theresa & STYTH, MT are the same person

SMYTH, Mary Theresa – Sister QAIMNSR (MID)

Born 1868 Congawarra Station near Queanbeyan, NSW – daughter of Peter & Catherine (nee Cunningham) – Peter born Ireland, married Ireland, died 27/11/1920 Paddington, NSW – Catherine born Ireland, died 1912 Drummoyne, NSW

Siblings (12 – all born Congawarra Station, NSW):

Elizabeth d.1954 Auburn; Frances d.29/5/1953 Burwood; Sarah d.1947 Randwick; Peter d.1943 Auburn; Annie d.1943 Petersham; Ellen d.1943 Nth Sydney

Trained at the Government Hospital, Kalgoorlie, WA –also the Women’s Hospital, Melbourne & Rydalmere Mental Hospital

Matron of Collarenebri Hospital; Walgett Hospital & Condobolin Hospital

WW1 Service:

Travelled to England to join the QAIMNSR

Served France & Belgium; on an ambulance train & in hospital ships

RTA 9/1/1920 on SS Megantic for Condobolin

Private Hospital, Paddington, NSW

1930 ER: Nurse – living Carlton Flats, Neild Ave, Glenmore, NSW with Sarah Smyth (dressmaker)

Died 24/4/1938 Ashfield, NSW (late of Paddington)

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 14 May 1938:

SISTER M.T. SMYTH

SISTER M.T. Smyth, who died recently at Ashfield, was a returned army sister. Shortly after the declaration of war, she resigned her position as matron of the Condobolin Hospital and went to London, where she joined Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Nursing Service. She was on active service throughout the war in France and Belgium. She was for a year in charge of an ambulance train, and also did duty in hospital ships. She was mentioned in despatches.

On her return from the war, Sister Smyth for a time conducted a private hospital at Paddington.

Western Mail (Perth), Thur 4 Aug 1938:

Nurse Mary Smyth

From Jim O’Brien, of West Kempsey, NSW, comes the following obituary notice of Nurse Mary Smyth, his cousin, and well known on the goldfields of Western Australia:-

There passed away at a private hospital, Ashfield, on May 24, Nurse Mary Theresa Smyth, for many years an active member of the nursing profession. Nurse Smyth gained her general certificate at the Government Hospital, Kalgoorlie, and also trained at the Women’s Hospital, Melbourne, and Rydalmere Mental Hospital. She held the position of matron of Collarenebri, Walgett and Condobolin Hospitals. On the outbreak of the Great War Nurse Smyth resigned from the Condobolin Hospital and went to London, where she joined the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Nursing Service, and remained on active service until the end of the war. Most of her time was spent in France and Belgium, where she was 12 months sister in charge of an ambulance train. She also did transport duty on a hospital ship, and was mentioned in dispatches for her military services. After her return from abroad, she conducted a private hospital in Paddington, and while there interested herself in the establishment of the day nursery at Heely-street, Paddington. She was one of the most successful of the committee, and collected a large sum of money and other necessaries for the furnishing and conducting of this charity. After its establishment, Nurse Smyth was the first matron to take charge of the day nursery, but owing to ill-health, was forced to resign. When in training at Kalgoorlie Hospital, Sister Smyth usually spent her annual leave with Mr and Mrs Jim O’Brien, at the Midas gold mine, and stood godmother to their daughter born there, now Mrs H. Fern, West Kempsey. On one occasion, when camping with the O’Briens at the Midas G.M., Nurse Smyth dollied out and panned off enough gold to make her a ring, a brooch and a bangle. Nurse Smyth, who was also a cousin of ex-Police Sergeant Cunningham, late of Kempsey, had a sister who likewise was trained and became a matron, and served abroad the full duration of the war.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Mon 25 Apr 1938:

FUNERALS

SMYTH – A REQUIEM MASS for the Repose of the Soul, of the late MARY THERESA SMYTH, of Paddington, late Military Nursing Sister, will be celebrated at St Joseph’s Church, Newtown, TO-MORROW (Tuesday) MORNING, at 7 o’clock. The Funeral will leave the Church TO-MORROW (Tuesday)MORNING, at 9.30 o’clock, for the Waverley Cemetery.

Thanks Frev for the heads up on that

all fixed now :huh:

have to do the revisions in word then copy and past into the website - must I pasted the wrong section

have added in that last lot now

Jenny

Jenny - I'm hoping it's not something you need to panic about - but the entire list of nurses for H - O seems to have disappeared & been replaced with P - Z !!!!!! :o

Hope you've still got them hidden in there somewhere!

Phew! Was hoping they hadn't wafted into the ether :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'd tried to get into the H's because I'd been working on my married O/S database when I came across a name that rang a bell - and sure enough it was the same - ie. the nurse Hancorn-Smith, Alice Bird.

She wasn't Australian - she was a Sth African who'd joined the QAIMNSR - and the only reason there's a file on her returning to Australia - is because she married an Australian during the war - Chaplain Joseph Raverty of the AIF - and was coming to Australia to be with him.

Cheers, Frev